What is your favorite recipe to cook during a Blizzard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So, here in the Mid Atlantic States we are getting clobbered with a huge snow storm. Most of us will be locked in our homes for the next day or two. Perfect excuse to do some good cooking.

Just curious what everyone considers the perfect Blizzard recipe.

For me, not sure if its the perfect Blizzard recipe, but given what I have in the house, Im looking at :

Mushroom Barley soup
Fresh bread
Homemade soft pretzels
Hot chocolate ( with marshmallows)
Also, I always make a lemon syrup, then we scoop up the snow, and make lemon snow cones.

Im sure we will bake cookies too.

larry

Good, old-fashioned comfort foods, for sure. Chili. Most any kind of soup, but I especially like thick or creamy ones. And if the power goes out? Scrambled eggs, fresh dripped coffee, and either fried potatoes or grilled muffins. We got rid of all our camping gear years ago, but hung on to our 2-burner Coleman propane stove. Still have a couple small tanks, too, like you would hook up to a propane torch. It has served us well during a few power outages.

Good luck! Stay safe and warm. Check in when you can so we know you and yours are holding your own.

Had chili last night, or it would have been on my list :)
I wasn't one of the typical last minute pre storm shoppers, so I kinda gotta make due with what I got in the house.

I never understand why there is a run on bread and milk for any impending storm. I would think disposable diapers( for some) and a line up at the beer store would be the first places to shop.

I would make a big pot of chunky veggie (w/ or w/o beef) soup
Yes, chili
Navy bean or split peas soup.
Thanks to the Campbell Kids, I discovered their Garden Pea soup one time. No meat, though they might have used chix broth and it was way too salty for my taste. So I make my own. Frozen peas, you can use veg broth, a little onion, whatever herb, and whirl in a blender. I'd rec you check for a complete recipe, otherwise it's fast, easy and tasty.

We are not having a Midwestern snowstorm (for once) and I am making a big Calico Beans Casserole this weekend. Large can baked beans, reg size cans kidney or pinto beans, butter beans. Burger. This should go on your list how to use burger crumbles. Then holding the refrigerator door open, start squeezing in some ketchup, Bbq sauce, squeegee mustard, hot sauce, worchestershire or soy sauce, and whatever else is hanging around on the frig door. Molasses from the cupboard. Bake til you're hungry.

I also like to make biscuits or cornbread/ muffins for any of the above. I don't do yeast breads.

I soooo like your reminder to make homemade hot chocolate. I think my current marshmallow status is they have petrified into small rocks, otherwise, I'd be making a cuppa now and go back to bed. It's 3 a.m. my time.

Last edited:
I wouldn't know about blizzards, but during a hurricane we are going to lose power. That limits us to a two burner propane stove and cold sandwiches. Favorite has no meaning during and after the storm. When the storm is over the generator can be used, but only to operate the fridge and deep freezer until power is restored. Even cooking pasta is out as we are most likely to be using stored or bottled water. This water is going to have to last until the all clear is given for our normal supply.

Also, I always make a lemon syrup, then we scoop up the snow, and make lemon snow cones.
I was always told to never eat yellow snow. :)

Chili or spaghetti are always snowy day favorites. Snow storms here aren't crippling like in some other areas. Because they are a regular event we have the equipment to plow it. No parked cars on the street where I live, and plenty of room to move it. Things are back to normal a couple of hours after the snow stops falling. People in urban areas, especially the warmer ones, have my sympathies, as they generally aren't equipped to deal with a snow storm.

I always get the urge to bake bread when we have a blizzard!

Also a fan of big breakfasts, homemade pizza, stuffed shells or lasagna, soup, stew over mashed potatoes, a batch of fresh baked cookies or a small cake like cottage pudding with nutmeg sauce or warm gingerbread with whipped cream. :pig:

Foods that make me feel snug as a bug in a rug! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I really like the idea of the snow cones!!!

With kids maybe some kettle or caramel corn would work some magic. :yum:

Last edited:
The milk and bread buyers are the ones with small kids. Also a stop at the deli. Sandwiches if the power goes out.

Our apartments are all electric. Only the heat and hot water are gas.

When my kids were babies and the power went out, milk and Karo syrup if they were still on formula. And I had cloth diapers for all five of my babies, even though disposables had come into being just before my fifth one was born. They weren't as refined as they are now, and too many babies were getting serious diaper rashes from them. So I just stuck with what I had always used. :angel:

I made a huge batch of chicken stock yesterday, to have for soups and stews. Although I have fixings for stuffed shells, so maybe I'll go in that direction tonight. I stocked up so we wouldn't have to go anywhere this weekend.

We have a gas stove and water heater, so if the power goes out, we can still cook. And we have a generator to run the refrigerators and power some of the lights and electronics, so we'll do fine.

Shoot, hit the wrong button. I hate that I can't add a photo when I edit a post with the mobile app.

Attachments

• 1453557353780.jpg
    1453557353780.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 167
We're in the same blizzard Larry. Nasty out there. I have dough going for cinnamon buns. When that's done I will start more dough for French bread.
Dinner will be Swedish meatballs, egg noodles and carrots as requested by DD. UNLESS I can talk her into chili which I love to make during snow storms. :angel:

BTW I may make French bread pizza with the fresh bread.

Last edited:
I think I will get out the slow cooker and dig through the freezer to see what I can come up with. I know I have plenty of chicken parts. But mostly thighs. But then I also have some cut up chuck meat. Beef stew with barley really sounds so good. No matter what I make, I have plenty of BTB on hand to enhance whatever I choose to make. Oh yeah. Can't forget the biscuits.

Here we go again. A repeat of last year snowfall. Pirate blames his weight gain on snow storms. That is when I really start to do some serious cooking. I may even make a small dessert. Warm chocolate pudding made from scratch. No whipped cream though. Have to watch the waistline. :angel:

I think I will get out the slow cooker and dig through the freezer to see what I can come up with. I know I have plenty of chicken parts. But mostly thighs. But then I also have some cut up chuck meat. Beef stew with barley really sounds so good. No matter what I make, I have plenty of BTB on hand to enhance whatever I choose to make. Oh yeah. Can't forget the biscuits.

Here we go again. A repeat of last year snowfall. Pirate blames his weight gain on snow storms. That is when I really start to do some serious cooking. I may even make a small dessert. Warm chocolate pudding made from scratch. No whipped cream though. Have to watch the waistline. :angel:
Oh please post recipe for chocolate pudding from scratch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom