What is your favorite stuffing or dressing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amber

Executive Chef
My stuffing for our Thanksgiving turkey is kind of boring, but tasty. I use Pepperidge Farm from a bag, and then add onions and celery. What is your favorite?

the last time i made stuffing, i used a 1/2 bag each of pepperidge farm regular and corn bread cubes, a couple of slices of pepperidge farm nutty oat bread, celery, onions, apples, mushrooms (shiitake and button), fennel, and sweet turkey sausage.
the turkey sausage, and the liquid (white wine/turkey stock) from deglazing the pan after browning it makes all of the difference.

Last edited:
I follow the recipe on the back of the Bell's Seasoning box, using various breads, with a couple of additions - mushrooms and sometimes pine nuts and/or sausage.

amber said:
My stuffing for our Thanksgiving turkey is kind of boring, but tasty. I use Pepperidge Farm from a bag, and then add onions and celery. What is your favorite?

Boring or not, this is my fave too, amber. Sometimes I put the minced-up giblet meat in too. Mom used to put oysters in it.

I do the Pepperidge Farms thing too because I've never actually gotten around to making it myself. Probably a stupid question but am I missing out?

Me three, Amber and mudbug. Although I add two pounds of browned Jimmy Dean sage sausage to mine. I'd rather eat that stuffing than anything else on my plate. Well, except for the crispy turkey skin.

Lee

week old white bread torn apart in sm chunks. Onion, celery,poultry spice and chopped up boiled giblets and then I use the broth from the giblets to moisten the stuffing.Might sound boaring to most but we all love it.

Sounds like we're all on the same page with regards to stuffing recipes. The sausage ideas are unique to me though. Pepperidge farm seems to have all the herbs and spices that one needs to make a great stuffing, with added veggies, onion and celery. I like to put my stuffing in the turkey, and have a side casserole dish of it too. My fav is from the inside of the turkey:chef:

Robo410 said:
wild rice sausage pecan

Do you put that in your turkey or as a side dish? I was just wondering because I though rice might get too mushy in the bird. I love the idea of sausage and pecan with the rice. :chef:

My mom makes the best oyster dressing I've ever had. I tried to make it from her recipe but it's never the same. She says it's all in the love that goes into it. Personally I think she left something out , on purpose.

Here's mine. I made it for the first time last year but my mom has been making it for as long as I can remember.

Sage Dressing

6C crumbled cornbread
6C. crumbled biscuits
1/2 to 1C. chopped onion
6tsp. sage
1/2tsp. pepper
1/2 stick margarine, melted
3 to 6C chicken broth
1C. chopped celery(optional)
2-3tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten

Mix all ingredients well. Bake in greased pan at 350F for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.

Thanksgiving is when I break out the bread machine for the winter ... I bake off a loaf about a week ahead of time and let half of it sit and dry then chop it up and use it in my dressing. I don't stuff our bird simply because the thought grosses me out. ick.

I combine ...
1/2 of a loaf of dried, chopped bread
browned pork sausage
sauted onion, celery and garlic
a mixture of equal parts chicken broth and heavy cream just to moisten

Season with tyme, salt and pepper then bake until "set".

This is the first recipe where I understood when my mom says to cook by "feel".

:) JMediger

My personal favorite is an oyster dressing. I use the Pepperidge Farm herbed bread stuff from a bag (small bag), too, and then add onions, celery, button mushrooms which are sliced and rough chopped - sauteed in butter, and a pint of rough chopped oysters. For liquid, I use the oyster liquor and top it off with water to make up the balance of what I need.

We usually just use the stuff out of the box. Sometimes we add some celery and onions, but that's about it.

I'm happy as long as I get a big chunk of the crusty part, and there a bunch of gravy to pour over it.

John

I like almost any kind of stuffing, but partial to apples, raisins, walnuts, celery and onions. Another favorite is Oyster dressing. I have not tried making the latter, but found a variety of quick 'n ez recipes (I might give the 'New England Oyster' a try).

http://www.thanksgivingtips.com/recipes/dresreci.htm

Last night I watched Giada prepare ciabatta stuffing with chestnuts and pancetta that looks very tempting:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_29172,00.html

A few new methods on the 'to do' list - making the stuffing in muffin tins or using an ice cream scoop and baking them on a baking tray.

Last edited:
'paxo' Sage and Onion stuffing (a British tradition). Bread sauce (thick white sauce made from bread, milk, onions, S&P then blended smooth - another British tradition). Small sausages made with pork & sage sausagemeat and wrapped in bacon before baking. Hubby likes mint sauce with turkey, and of course cranberry sauce with port.

paint.

My mom makes a very basic, yet very yummy stuffing. I'll going to be giving it a go this year, sans the onion. Mrs. Big Dog doesn't like onions.

White Bread
Butter
Salt
Pepper
Poultry Seasoning
Onion

That's all the ingredients. She stuffs the bird cold, so the stuffing cooks the whole time the bird in is the oven. Fabulously wonderful delicious!

Paint said:
'paxo' Sage and Onion stuffing (a British tradition). Bread sauce (thick white sauce made from bread, milk, onions, S&P then blended smooth - another British tradition). Small sausages made with pork & sage sausagemeat and wrapped in bacon before baking. Hubby likes mint sauce with turkey, and of course cranberry sauce with port.

paint.

Paxo stuffing - I don't buy it myself, but a couple of my friends do - one adds extra sage and a little finely diced celery to it and then it tastes wonderful!

I have to make bread sauce whenever we have a roast chicken, as well as Christmas dinner for my husband - but he's the only one who eats it.

Chipolatas wrapped in bacon - YUM!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom