What kinds of food remind you of childhood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nu036

Assistant Cook
I baked a chiffon cake today, and when I took a bite, I felt the simple taste so familiar. The next bite, I realized that the flavor was just like the birthday cake my mom used to get from a small bakery in the corner when I was little. From time to time, some particular food brings back my childhood memory, and that actually feels really nice.

Is there any food or drinks would remind you of your childhood?

Looking forward to hearing about your childhood memories of food!!

My Dad: BBQ Chicken, tender and juicy on the inside, a black crust of sweet Kraft BBQ Sauce on the outside.

My Mom: Gumbo (all varieties)

Czech Chicken in Sour Cream Dill Sauce with Czech Bread Dumplings (aka "Varnichka"). Or pretty much any dish where Czech Bread Dumplings are involved. They were fairly frequent Sunday dinner fare growing up - accompanying fresh pork roasts, pot roasts, roast goose & duck, etc., etc.

Mom'sork chops cooked in wine. Emmm I 've tried cooking them but the taste is never the same.
kadesma

KoolAid popsicles! Mom would always make them every summer. We never got the store bought kind at home. This may sound silly but saltine crackers with butter. That was a common breakfast on Saturday mornings when Mom and Dad would sleep in. We'd get out the crackers and butter and eat them watching cartoons until the parents got up.

I used to live in Japan as a child. I now live in NCarolina but there is a small mama-san/papa-san Japanese market near me and as soon as I walk in the door it's like a blast-from-the-past for my senses, especially, osoba-soup, rice candy and one certain type of rice cracker...well, I did say I was a child ;) As an adult I love those roasted crunchy wasabi peas, sushi, tempura, etc.

my moms only dessert was apricot nectar cake. have made in last year and it was a nice memory. mom not the best cook in the world and she hated it. when they were empty Nester's, my dad did the cooking. maybe that is where i got it.

My grandmother would always make me fried chicken and greenbeans (I never had the heart to tell her I didn't like green beans, now I wonder if she did it on purpose!) and she wouldn't let ANYONE touch the chicken until I filled my plate first.

No-one has still to this day had chicken as good as hers. I miss her so.

Buttermilk pancakes - my mom made them every Sunday.
Tacos - we had them for dinner on Thursday nights.
Nestle's chocolate chip bars - one of the first cookies I learned how to make.
Hashbrowns cooked in a cast iron skillet - my mom always made hashbrowns in her cast iron skillet. I still have that cast iron skillet.

One for me was suki-yaki. I loved it. It was a special occasion thing and so much fun. We'd practice with chop sticks and it was great. It was always my request for my birthday meal.

Jello cake. I made it last summer for a neighbor who was looking for low fat/sugar recipes and it just disappeared. But we considered it a big treat, and for all of us kids it was the #1 birthday cake request.

Mom hated cooking and she didn't do it well...except for Thankksgiving. Then she shined. She just learned enough cooking to not poison us and keep us fed until her girls were old enough to start cooking. Of the three girls, I am the only one who enjoys cooking. For my sisters it's a horrible chore.

Favorite childhood food...anything my Czech Grandmother brought for us. She made a lovely bread that had a poppy seed filling that I have been unable to reproduce and chicken & noodles to die for. I found out later she used whole canned chicken for the noodle dish.

I just thought of a few more from my childhood school days. The hamburger pizza and the sloppy joe's they use to serve in the school cafeteria.

Oh! Spoonburgers from the cafeteria, cheesy ground beef in a wrapping of dough, served with dill pickles. Yum! I asked the lunch lady for the recipe and she gave it to me. I still make those on occasion.

school food was always interesting. What I remember is pizza burgers and city chicken. Pizza burgers were simply pizza sauce and cheese on a hamburger bun and broiled open faced. I still don't know what city chicken was but I sure loved the days we had it! Princess, care to share your spoonburgers recipe? It sounds like something my family would like.

All my Mom's cooking was wonderful and smells bring me back like fresh baking bread, stews, cakes, cookies, etc.

But I think the biggest thing is a very simple meal. Sausages, cream corn and mashed potatoes. Since Dad has been here I have made it a few times and it is a unanimous favourite (DH grew up with it too). Every time I serve it, good memories abound.

Princess, care to share your spoonburgers recipe? It sounds like something my family would like.

Spoonburgers Serves 6

1 pound french bread dough, divided
1 pound hamburger
1 medium onion
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/2 pound shredded American cheese

Brown hamburger with onion and spices, you may salt and pepper to taste, add in tomatoes with juice and simmer until juices are almost gone. I usually jack up the heat at first to get it going quicker. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Set aside.

Roll out 1/2 pound of bread dough to fit bottom of buttered 9x13 baking dish. Spread meat mixture over top and cover with rolled out second half of dough. Prick several holes on top and bake at 350 degrees until top is golden brown, about 30-40 minutes. Pull out of oven and rub top with butter. Cut into servings and serve with dill pickles. There was usually ketchup and mustard along with it, but I liked mine without.

The lunch lady's name was Izola and she cut this recipe down from the one that served 600. She was the first "official" cook I ever met, she died about ten years ago at the age of 97. She told me I was the first child who had ever asked her for a recipe and we remained friends until her death.

Spoonburgers Serves 6

1 pound french bread dough, divided
1 pound hamburger
1 medium onion
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp granulated garlic
1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1/2 pound shredded American cheese

Brown hamburger with onion and spices, you may salt and pepper to taste, add in tomatoes with juice and simmer until juices are almost gone. I usually jack up the heat at first to get it going quicker. Remove from heat and stir in cheese. Set aside.

Roll out 1/2 pound of bread dough to fit bottom of buttered 9x13 baking dish. Spread meat mixture over top and cover with rolled out second half of dough. Prick several holes on top and bake at 350 degrees until top is golden brown, about 30-40 minutes. Pull out of oven and rub top with butter. Cut into servings and serve with dill pickles. There was usually ketchup and mustard along with it, but I liked mine without.

The lunch lady's name was Izola and she cut this recipe down from the one that served 600. She was the first "official" cook I ever met, she died about ten years ago at the age of 97. She told me I was the first child who had ever asked her for a recipe and we remained friends until her death.
Thanks for sharing your recipe with us. I've copied it and I know my dh and grand kids will love it.
kadesma

Back
Top Bottom