What makes you a good cook in the eyes of others?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
Sarah called me a terrific cook, thank you. But what makes people think that you are in fact good? The other day I cooked for about 40-50 people including kids. It was three-day event. First two days I cooked Chinese diner the last one it was Ukrainian. There was this guy who came to the kitchen to help carry stuff to the table. I was sautéing some onions, I think, and was flipping them in the frying pan, not by using a spoon, but you know, like chefs do. What is it called? You know what I’m talking about, right? So when he saw that it really impressed him. Food that people couldn’t stop complementing me did not impressed him, but flipping some silly onions in the frying pan proved to him that I am a great chef. To me it is silly. Am I wrong? What do people say about you? Do you have stories like that?

IMO it is very simple. You are a good cook if people like your food. That is it. The rest is just extra.

that's a tough question...
how can you really determine what another person thinks?
hmmmmmmmmmm....

People have always said that they admire ability to play with recipes & make them mine. I have also been told that my willingness to experiment in the kitchen makes me a god cook. I don't let things intimidate me. Plus whether I follow a recipe to the "t"(which is rare)or make up a concoction, it seems to turn out good.

GB said:
IMO it is very simple. You are a good cook if people like your food. That is it. The rest is just extra.

That's the way it is. Most people don't see you cook, they base their opinion on the results. If it does not taste good, look good, and smell good to them, they could care less about your chef's flourishes.

GB said:

I think if I had a family, I could be a better cook. Friends like the way I can make a huge pot of chili or jkath's chicken scampi and freeze the leftovers for single-portion meals. Anything that I have ever brought to a gathering, people have claimed to like.

When I used to work for a restaurant, people thought I was fast, the food was hot and good.

My dogs beg for food. Ok.......seriously....my grown kids call me and ask for recipes that I made.

My hubby says it is because I can improvise, and my presentation of what we eat, no matter how simple, makes me such a good cook. Also that I can throw something together very quickly without a recipe.

Because I usually cook from scratch and I'm not always opening a can, jar,box. Not to many folks do that today because of everyones busy schedule.

This topic is interesting! My family thinks I am a good cook and that is what is most important to me. However, when they want to bring their friends over to eat I don't refuse. But to have them pick onions or tomatoes out of a salad or dinner item bothers me. Half of the food is left on the plate and I have to throw it out. I don't let them bring their friends over but tell them to go out to a restaurant with them where they have to pay for it. I try not to throw food out. This bothers me and therefore no one but family eats at the house unless it is my relation. The kids tell me my mom doesn't fix it like this. Well, my ex used to say 'in you, or on you' and i didn't like his methods but it worked. They won't take anything on their plate if they see they don't care for it. Normally, they will eat anything except for fish and eggs. They both got sick when their father made them eat it. Didn't forget it. Does anyone else have these life threatning problems. I feel awful not letting them eat here but throwing stuff away bothers me worse. Less of two evils.

I'm with Kyles on the "being able to cook something yummy from what you have" - I learned that from my mom. Also, I think that a good cook has to really enjoy eating!
Have you ever met someone who just picks at food, and never really comments on it to be a good cook?
I'm one of those who can still remember an amazing dish from 2 years ago and salivate!

You know you're a good cook when you go to a friend's house and they're cooking a roast, you get there late, and they say, "Thank God! He's here!" Then you notice the cookbooks they start to put away are all turned to "How to make gravy."

LOL, PSI - That has so happened to me!

I personally think the glazed look in folks' eyes after they've eaten one of your dishes is the proof you're a good cook!

I always knew my mom was the best cook in the world, but it was confirmed when my friends started wanting to eat at our house all the time. Family always wanted big dinners to be at our house too. 8) I cook pretty much like she did, so my husband is very happy. I get SO excited (like a little kid, and I am going to be 47 in a week and a half! lol) when something I make turns out like my mom's did.

:) Barbara

mudbug said:
they ask for second helpings or the recipe.

I can't do the chef "flip" thing
Hey mudbug, I can :) but of course getting the food back in the pan, I still have to master that part :LOL:
kadesma :)

My family gets together every Sunday. And, my kids and dh all think I'm a good cook. I suppose I'm ok, I just insist on fresh hebs and seasoning, good produce, the best quality meat. This might sound Uppity, but, my dad once said get the best, If you get poor quality meat, you more than likely will throw it away, get the best you can, it won't be wasted.
I do have to smile though, I heard my s-i-l, tell a neighbor fellow, who thinks he knows all and can do all about cooking, that , geez, Jon, you should eat at my m-i-l's, she is the best ! :) That kind of made me feel GREAT :)
kadesma :)

There are two kinds of eaters in the world.........those who eat to live, and those who live to eat. The first group will never be good cooks IMO because they have no natural "feel" for it. The second group will always get the raves in the kitchen because they have a "passion" for it, and will always strive to improve on the original recipe, seek out ways to better themselves and build on their cooking hardware.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom