What NOT to make for supper!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angie

Head Chef
I started with chicken broth and a box of Kraft mac n cheese.

I boiled the noodles in the broth until all the broth was pretty much soaked up and the noodles were done.

Added the cheese sauce.

Added one can of cream of celery soup.

Added one can of chicken.

Too dull.

Added one packet of Hidden Valley Ranch...

Too WOW....too much flavor..

Added about 3/4 C sour cream.

Still way too salty and strong but we ate it anyway.....:sick:

This one might have flopped, but sometimes the "this, that and the other thing" approach creates some real crowd pleasers! Good try, I bet you're next invention will turn out better :)

I like the stuff in the blue box.
Though... I just add mushrooms and sometimes a drained can of diced tomatoes.

You idea sounds like a good one. SOrry it didn't work out.

pdswife said:
I like the stuff in the blue box.
Though... I just add mushrooms and sometimes a drained can of diced tomatoes.
I'll admit it too, (processed as it is :-p) I like the blue stuff as well! But actually my favourite boxed mac & cheese are the white cheddar varities that are made by the brand "Annie's" (with the bunny on the box) and Velveta :)

I don't think I've ever had Annie's but.. I do like the Velveta cheese shells.

all was going good until the packet of ranch...you said "too wow" ...maybe all you needed was 1/3 a packet. try again but this time add it by tspn until it is right. re-seal packet for another recipe...they keep pretty well for a month or so if tightly folded over.

Don't fret about it. I think that we've all made some ghastly dishes in our time. I know I have. But your idea was sound. You just need to tweek it some. I would think that with the blue box, and the addition of both soups, you already had a lot of salt in the mixture. The soups, after all, are meant to be watered down. And ranch dressing, well there's another bunch of salt.

On your next attempt, try adding complimentary cheeses to your Kraft Mac & Cheese, and maybe some sliced kielbasa, or mushrooms. Try making it with a garlic compound butter, or with cream instead of milk. Or if you're in the mood for something a little spicy, throw in some chopped hot peppers, or a bit of your favorite salsa, along with some browned ground beef.

There are a thousand different ways to doctor Kraft Mac & Cheese. Just remember the cardinal rule of cooking, if something is too bland, you can always add more flavor. But if you add too much flavor, you can't take it out. So add things slowly, a little at a time. Test, and adjust the seasonings until you get the flavor you want.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom