What’s for dinner? 3/26/19

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Given my newly found confidence with deep frying, I think I’ll try my hand at fish and chips tonight. Frozen “chips,” though. I’m not up to making French fries from scratch. Some slaw to round it out.

My younger daughter is coming for dinner tonight. I'm making pan seared duck breasts for us along with bulgar pilaf. DD is making roasted asparagus and a dessert. SO, who hates duck will have golabkis.

The plan is Italian meatball "burgers" (simmered in tomato sauce), buttered jasmine rice (draped with tomato sauce) and steamed baby spinach.

The plan is a one pot meal of cut up Italian sausage, "stir fry vegis", and long grain brown rice. The sausage and rice are already cooked. Everything gets stir fried.

I'll be having the last of the slow roasted ribs from yesterday, and I think I'll steam an artichoke to go with it. Found some beauties at Albertsons the other day. :yum:

Given my newly found confidence with deep frying, I think I’ll try my hand at fish and chips tonight. Frozen “chips,” though. I’m not up to making French fries from scratch. Some slaw to round it out.

This sounds so good, Joel. Nothing wrong with frozen French fries! Please let us know how it turned out. :yum:

DSC01055.jpg

I found this ^^
when we went to the Asian Market
in the big city.
This is something new from my favorite
Shoyu company back home.
I've got some B/S Chicken Thighs
bathing in a pool of this Glaze.
I already cut up that fresh Pineapple
for grilling too.
To finish off the 'local-style' dinner
we will be having Char Siu Fried Rice :yum:
I've tried my hand at making my own
Char Siu and I think it's pretty dang close
to what I would find back home in Chinatown :)

Started our dinner early today. Roast quail with a mushroom, basil, truffled salt compound butter under the skin, with pearled barley and leek risotto, with butter braised carrots, parsnips and pearl onions, served with a jus.

Attachments

• 2019-03-26 18.31.40.jpg
    2019-03-26 18.31.40.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:
I succeeded with the planned stir fry meal. I also add a bunch of sesame seeds while frying it. It was good. It's the kind of dish that gets boring if we have it more than once every few months. It was yummy this time. There was a variety of hot sauces to add at the table. I used mostly something called "Stinging Scorpion" from my friend Greg, the Peppermaster and tamari.

Last edited:
Italian meatball "burgers" (simmered in tomato sauce) topped with fresh grated Parmesan Reggiano & Pecorino Romano cheeses, buttered jasmine rice (draped with tomato sauce) and steamed baby spinach.

meatball_burger_032619_IMG_5540.jpg

Tonight we are having scotch fillet steak, homemade fries, eggs, served with a mushroom sauce, quick and easy

I'm having leftover "Scotch Filet" from the huge one I cooked last night. Although here, it is called Ribeye steak. ;)

Stouffer's mac-n-cheese on the side.

CD

View attachment 34187

I found this ^^
when we went to the Asian Market
in the big city.
This is something new from my favorite
Shoyu company back home.
I've got some B/S Chicken Thighs
bathing in a pool of this Glaze.
I already cut up that fresh Pineapple
for grilling too.
To finish off the 'local-style' dinner
we will be having Char Siu Fried Rice :yum:
I've tried my hand at making my own
Char Siu and I think it's pretty dang close
to what I would find back home in Chinatown :)

DSC01065.jpg

DSC01066.jpg

DSC01067.jpg

:yum:

I grilled the fresh Pineapple chunks on a skewer,
and the Chicken thighs basted in more of the glaze,
a nice big scoop of my Chinese BBQ Pork Fried Rice
and Lopaka's (that's Bob or Robert in Hawaiian)
your Uncle!

When ever I make Fried Rice, I don't really measure,
I start off with whatever leftover Rice I have,
and my goodies and go by feel from there.
And notoriously it grows WAY bigger than I started!
:LOL:
That's okay though, it's called breakfast tomorrow
with a fried egg on top ;)

Back
Top Bottom