"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Today's Menu
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,488
What starch goes with Chicken Marsala?

I was going to make a potato casserole dish, since I have the time today, but I don't think it particularly marries well with Chicken Marsala.

What is a more traditional starch pairing? I have a couple of kinds of rice, a lot of pastas, cous cous and potatoes.

Lee

QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
Chief Eating Officer
 
GB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: USA,Massachusetts
Posts: 25,509
Traditional I think is a thin pasta like angel hair, but when I make it I always use couscous. I love how those little grains soak up the sauce.
__________________
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:22 PM   #3
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
I was going to make a potato casserole dish, since I have the time today, but I don't think it particularly marries well with Chicken Marsala.

What is a more traditional starch pairing? I have a couple of kinds of rice, a lot of pastas, cous cous and potatoes.

Lee
How about Fettucinne Alfredo. Chicken & potatoes sound good to me. You could make a mushroom, garlic, potato gratin:

Garlicky potato & mushroom gratin

Or, in keeping with a casserole-type idea - this calls for white wine, but Marsala might be interesting:

Chicken and leek casserole
*amy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Qsis,
I think couscous,or brown or white rice might be nice.. But, I've used mashed potatoes with my chicken marsala..I feel it should be something you enjoy, not something people feel is a "correct" paring. Food is meant to enjoy, not just be correct

kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Flourgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Norwalk, Connecticut
Posts: 366
I like orzo tossed with a little olive oil and fresh herbs, or risotto too.
__________________
Finally reached my goal weight- 120 lbs- & never going back!
Flourgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Risotto, roasted red bliss, rosemary roasted potatoes, mashed. I don't like pairing things that have two totally different sauces, so I'd stay away from pasta.

I usually make some sort of potato and a green veggie like asparagus or broccolli to add some freshness.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Executive Chef
 
miniman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Basingstoke, England
Posts: 4,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Risotto, roasted red bliss, rosemary roasted potatoes, mashed. I don't like pairing things that have two totally different sauces, so I'd stay away from pasta.
I agree no pasta with sauce but a plain pasta or noodles as a bed for the chicken masala would be great.
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:16 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
I agree no pasta with sauce but a plain pasta or noodles as a bed for the chicken masala would be great.

This is what I do.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #9
Head Chef
 
auntdot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 2,418
I think wild rice cooked with Mandarin oranges might go well.
__________________
Before criticizing a person, walk a mile in his shoes - then you are a mile away and you have his shoes!
auntdot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #10
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Boston area
Posts: 2,488
Thanks, everybody! (Almost) everyone's suggestions sounded great.

I went with pasta - the rotelli, or rotini, or whatever the corkscrew one is. Just placed the chicken marsala over the naked pasta, Jeeks, so there was no mixing of sauces.

Lee

P.S. auntdot - I am one of your biggest fans, but wild rice cooked with Mandarin oranges???? eek.
QSis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:13 PM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North
Posts: 20,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
P.S. auntdot - I am one of your biggest fans, but wild rice cooked with Mandarin oranges???? eek.
I agree that with Chicken Marsala this might not quite work but with a nice roasted chicken it would probably be delish!
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffeine-free and loving it!
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 3,381
Supper is probably over, but I like orzo with it, bit of OO, S&P. Just had to add my 2 cents.
__________________
Practice safe lunch. Use a condiment.
Loprraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 07:46 PM   #13
Master Chef
 
CharlieD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA,Minnesota
Posts: 9,515
Sounds like a good decision. I'd go wih noodles too. Some how marsala doesn't go well with potato in my book, and I normaly love potato.
__________________
You are what you eat.
CharlieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
Executive Chef
 
VeraBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: northern NJ
Posts: 3,683
I made a risotto timbale with chicken marsala on Saturday night...it was a perfect combination.
__________________
How can we sleep while our beds are burning???
VeraBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Thanks, everybody! (Almost) everyone's suggestions sounded great.

I went with pasta - the rotelli, or rotini, or whatever the corkscrew one is. Just placed the chicken marsala over the naked pasta, Jeeks, so there was no mixing of sauces.

Lee

P.S. auntdot - I am one of your biggest fans, but wild rice cooked with Mandarin oranges???? eek.
lol....sounds like I would have enjoyed dinner at your home.

I had chicken marsala once at an expensive restaurant once, and it came with a side of spaghetti and marinara.....on the same dish.

Since then, I have vowed NOT to mix sauces. I don't know what it is, or what compells me to do it, but it just seems wrong. I like for one item to be "The Star" and the sides to compliment it.

My one tip for cooking marsala is: Don't be skimpy on the Marsala!
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #16
Senior Cook
 
jerseyjay14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Western, MA
Posts: 258
Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
My one tip for cooking marsala is: Don't be skimpy on the Marsala!

Agreed... IMHO i feel like the chicken marsala should be served alone. when i make it i'll usually have 2 courses. i'll start with a pasta salad or hearty thick soup, then follow with the marsala and of course some bread to soak up all the yumminess....

Jeekinz, where you from in jersey?
jerseyjay14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #17
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I like mashed potatoes or creamy polenta.

There are a lot of flavors going on in Chicken Marsala, so I would keep the starch simple.
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I like mashed potatoes or creamy polenta.

There are a lot of flavors going on in Chicken Marsala, so I would keep the starch simple.
I'm with you on this one..makes me want to grab the polenta and get going

kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:37 PM   #19
Master Chef
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Metro New York
Posts: 8,763
Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesma View Post
I'm with you on this one..makes me want to grab the polenta and get going

kadesma
hmmmm chicken Marsala and polenta... sounds like dinner this weekend.

and I have the breadcrumbs I like to use on hand, and everything! I think that's it!

I haven't made Chicken Marsala in forever!
__________________
Wine is the food that completes the meal.
ChefJune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
kadesma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: california
Posts: 21,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
hmmmm chicken Marsala and polenta... sounds like dinner this weekend.

and I have the breadcrumbs I like to use on hand, and everything! I think that's it!

I haven't made Chicken Marsala in forever!
I haven't made it in a while either..but right now I think we will be the bobbsy twins on sunday

kadesma
__________________
HEAVEN is Cade, Ethan,Carson, and Olivia,Alyssa,Gianna
kadesma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.