What was for breakfast today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
crewsk said:
Juliev said:
crewsk said:
Yes, we had a guy sitting on our back porch at a quarte to 5 on a Monday morning! I walked in the bathroom & he was just sitting on the corner of the porch!! I stood there trying to figure out what he was doing & he turned around & looked at me. I totally freaked out!!!!! I talked to several people around here after that & they reported seeing him too. The police said they thought he was just drunk & looking for a place to sit down...but they have never caught him!

lol.. a place to sit down or lie down?

I don't know, all I know is I was standing there half ***** & he looked at me & I ran for my hubby & a gun! He was long gone before the police got there though.

i just read this one... ~uck~
what a creep!
i have the chills now...

i had a craving for mcdonald's... i know i know bad middie bad bad bad.
but i had a sausage mcmuffin and a hash brown.

WayneT said:
Toast with Vegemite washed down with Cafe Latte.

my, word, i LOVE vegemite! to clear up the usual questions that come my way after i say that i eat vegemite:
1.)YES, i am American. 100%. born and raised American. curiousity just got the better of me, so i asked for some vegemite for my birthday.
2.)yes, it is an acquired taste
3.)yes, it is made from the by-products of the brewing process
4.)just a warning... do not order vegemite from Agape Outback. they send you expired vegemite and give you MAJOR, MAJOR attitude if you complain. i got YELLED at for complaining when they sent me an expired jar. they care very little about the consumer and much more about the profits, IMO.
5.)if you don't take well to salt, you won't take well to vegemite
6.)vegemite is an excellent source of B-vitamins!!!!!!!!!!!!

and just a heads up:
any of my fellow Americans who choose to brave vegemite, a word of caution...
see your pinky nail? don't use any more vegemite than you could fit on that nail...
and slather your toast with butter before the vegemite goes on.
this is definately one of those times in which you will say, 'less is best.'

unless you want to be a hard-head, like my Dad.
go ahead, scoop a spoonful of vegemite out of that jar and gulp it down.. i i promise, you'll be making faces you weren't aware you COULD make within 5 seconds...
i still cannot decide which is funnier...
-the time my Dad took a huge gulp of vegemite
-the time my brother took a huge gulp of vegemite
OR
-the time Dad rolled his eyes and gulped down a huge dallop of wasabi, tried to hide the fact that he was in tears, and refused to ingest wasabi at any time thereafter...

luvs_food said:
WayneT said:
Toast with Vegemite washed down with Cafe Latte.
any of my fellow Americans who choose to brave vegemite, a word of caution...
see your pinky nail? don't use any more vegemite than you could fit on that nail...
and slather your toast with butter before the vegemite goes on.
this is definately one of those times in which you will say, 'less is best.'

EVEN BETTER. Really fresh white bread, thickly sliced, buttered and then the "pinky nail's worth" of Vegemite. You're right about the quantity. Overkill is the main reason why new users give up on it. Also there are variations, Marmite, AussieMite and a couple of other 'Mites". Beware none of them have got the "Colonel's" secret recipe. They are yuk in comparison. Maybe that is why a lot of people hate it, they may have tried a copy.
Sounds like there is a bit of a ripoff going on with the Vegemite exporters. It is a KRAFT product, I am sure it is American owned now, yeah, it is as one of our cloners, Dick Smith, is trying to buy it back.

isn't vegemite really salty.... what is the difference between that and marmite?

Juliev said:
isn't vegemite really salty.... what is the difference between that and marmite?

it is very salty, JV. but very yummy if you only use a little dab at a time.
as for the Marmite, it's a rival product...
vegemite fans bash marmite, marmite fans bash vegemite fans.... it's a regional thing, from what i understand.
www.vegemite.com.au
www.marmite.com

Vegemite was the Original and still the best. Marmite is not used very much, not so much a regional thing as a loyalty thing, it is made by Sanitarium which is a company owned and started by the Seventh Day Adventist Church. I don't think you will find any Marmite fans when offered Vegemite would refuse but I think the opposite would apply. In MY opinion I would say the two products are like chalk and cheese.

Anyway, Vegemite is not a something that all Aussies eat ALL the time. Quite a few would not even have any in their cupboard. Vegemite because you do not need much of it was a great, healthy, cheap sandwich spread in the years when times were tough.. It is more of a casual thing. You eat it when you feel like it. A dollop of Vegemite goes well in soup or a teaspoonfull in a glass of hotwater is similar to Bonox or Bovril but again not as good as.

I have heard people talk of both frequently.. just never knew the difference.

WayneT said:
Vegemite was the Original and still the best. Marmite is not used very much, not so much a regional thing as a loyalty thing, it is made by Sanitarium which is a company owned and started by the Seventh Day Adventist Church. I don't think you will find any Marmite fans when offered Vegemite would refuse but I think the opposite would apply. In MY opinion I would say the two products are like chalk and cheese.

Anyway, Vegemite is not a something that all Aussies eat ALL the time. Quite a few would not even have any in their cupboard. Vegemite because you do not need much of it was a great, healthy, cheap sandwich spread in the years when times were tough.. It is more of a casual thing. You eat it when you feel like it. A dollop of Vegemite goes well in soup or a teaspoonfull in a glass of hotwater is similar to Bonox or Bovril but again not as good as.

you worded it just right... it IS a loyalty thing, from what i've read. and i do a great deal of research and reading on foods that are new to me before i buy them.
BTW, wayne, i want to try bovril... i read about it when i was 11 or so in this book my Grandpa has, and have been curious about it since...

Honey is about the only additive we use with peanut butter here in OZ if any although I regularly have peanut butter and mashed banana on bread.
What is this jelly I keep hearing about. Is it the same as Jam or Conserve and if so which flavour do you use with peanut butter or is it an individual choice?

Yes, jelly is like jam... actually don't know what the difference is. I think most kiddos use grape jelly with peanut butter. Strawberry is also popular. But it really is just personal preference.

hi waynet, jelly is like a jam or preserve, but it does not contain chunks or bits of the fruit in it. it is kinda like a fruit flavored aspic, but a little less firm. the most popular in the states is grape jelly, especially with peanut butter, on white bread. aka pb & j = peanut buter and jelly.

WayneT said:
Honey is about the only additive we use with peanut butter here in OZ if any although I regularly have peanut butter and mashed banana on bread.
What is this jelly I keep hearing about. Is it the same as Jam or Conserve and if so which flavour do you use with peanut butter or is it an individual choice?

jelly is fruit-juice based. it's gloppy and gelationous.
jam is more substansial and has less of a sheen to it; it is made with fruit pulp.
conserve has the most texture. it is made with big chunks or whole fruits.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom