What was for breakfast today?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
crewsk said:
I did the breakfast pizza that I did awhile back again but I made it with ham instead of the sausage links.
sounds good!... I'm leaning on eggs for supper.

I'm planning on eggs later this week for dinner. It's what we talked about last week, Juliev, DH doesn't like it so I enjoy when he's not around! I'm looking forward to it. Not sure how I'll prepare them yet. I'll definitely make some hash browns though. Mmmmm.

I got an ambitious nudge from where I know not, so I made my grandmother's recipe for waffles, and they were wonderfull. I also had a piece of grilled ham, and REAL Canadian maple syrup and cups of coffee. Still drooling. I shall have the leftover cold waffles with butter and gjetøst with coffee for lunch....

wasabi said:
;) You got ME drooling.

Thanks for commenting wasabi, my grandmother's recipe is the greatest. However, I do alter it a bit, I use 2/3 regular flour and 1/3 whole wheat. Makes them a little heavier, but still wonderful. Also she would use bacon grease, I use vegetable oil.

PA Baker said:
Sounds like a wonderful breakfast, norgeskog! By the way, what is "gjetøst"?

Gjetøst is Norwegian goat cheese which is carmelized and has a sweet pungent taste, and a warm brown color from the carmelizing. What we get here in the states is 1/2 cows milk. The 100%goat is too strong even for my taste and I was weened on the stuff. The markets carry it, named Ski Queen in a little red box.

Half of a banana with 1/2 c. Uncle Sam cereal and 1/2 c. bran flakes with milk to eat. Orange juice and coffee to drink. Mmm...

A fantastic, all time favorite breakfast I had here in Eugene when I first moved back to Oregon was a version of Eggs Benedict - using smoked salmon instead of Canadian Bacon (please my Canuk friends, do not be offended I love Canadian Bacon, this is a nice change of pace) and it was wonderful. Forgot where I had it and it is driving me nuts. Guess I will have to make it myself. I also am waiting for blood oranges to come to the stores to use them instead of lemons. Just had to vent, thanks.

Even though I had eggs last night for supper, I'm fixin' to have them for breakfast too. I go through these spurts where I want/don't want eggs. I'm going (still too early) to have an egg sammich with cheese on a toasted onion bagel. All I am having right how is oj and hot tea.

I tried another new recipe & it was absolutely wonderful! Most of the work was done last night.

Three Cheese Stuffed French Toast

8(2 inch thick)slices Frenck bread
3/4C.(3 ounces) shredded mozzerella cheese
1/2(8 ounce)pkg. cream cheese, softened
1Tbsp. ricotta cheese
3Tbsp. apricot jam
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2C. milk
1C. corn flake cereal crumbs
2Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 (12 ounce)bottle apricot syrup
1/4C. butter or margarine
2Tbsp. sugar
2Tbsp. ground ginger
16 peach slices**
Sifted powdered sugar

Starting from one side, split each bread slice, leaving opposite side of bread attached(so that when open. bread looks like a butterfly). Using a fork, hollow out a shallow pocket on the inside of each slice, discarding crumbs*; set aside.

Combine cheese; stir in apricot jam. Spoon about 2Tbsp. cheese mixture into each bread slice, & place slices into a 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Cover & chill for 8 hours.

Combine eggs & milk; dip bread in mixture & dredge in corn flake crumbs. Melt 2Tbsp. butter in a large skillet over medium heat; cook bread 2 minutes on each side or until golden. Place in a lightly greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Bake at 400F for 15 minutes.

Cook syrup in a sauce pan over low heat until throughly heated; remove from heat & keep warm.

Combine 1/4C, butter, sugar, & ginger in a large skillet over medium heat; add peaches & cook 3 minutes, stirring gentely.

Arrange French toast on individual plates; top each serving evenly with peach slices & sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with syrup. Yield: 8 servings.

From Southern Living 20th Edition Annual Recipes Cookbook
Submited by: Seven Sisters Inn
Ocala, Florida

* I saved the bread crumbs for a later use.
**I used some peaches that my mom had frozen this summer.

I'm eating my bagel sammich right now.. it's good! I love onion bagels!

Crewsk, I'm going to start coming to your house for breakfast! We only do "fancy" stuff on the weekends. It's cereal and coffee or nothin' during the week! :)

Back
Top Bottom