What you got cooking, good looking? Sunday December 28, 2014

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I'll go first.

We have smorgasbord.

The first round is 3 kinds of pickled herring, smoked salmon, smoked cod. For the vegetarians we have 2 types of tapenade, egg salad, and smoked tofu. Next round is roast beef, ham, gravlax, shrimp, liverwurst, and various cheeses (on various breads) The hot table is vegetarian cabbage rolls, vegetarian meatballs, Swedish meatballs, peas, beans with bleu cheese and pecans, tomato aspic, red cabbage, Janssen's temptation and a vegetarian version of the same, paleek paneer, kale salad. (I think that is everything). The final round is desserts--krumkake, secret kiss cookies, brown sugar shortbreads, rosettes, lefse, peppernuts, Alice cookies.

Tonight's dinner for us will be turkey noodle soup from the freezer with a fresh baguette from Panera.

I'll go first.

We have smorgasbord.

The first round is 3 kinds of pickled herring, smoked salmon, smoked cod. For the vegetarians we have 2 types of tapenade, egg salad, and smoked tofu. Next round is roast beef, ham, gravlax, shrimp, liverwurst, and various cheeses (on various breads) The hot table is vegetarian cabbage rolls, vegetarian meatballs, Swedish meatballs, peas, beans with bleu cheese and pecans, tomato aspic, red cabbage, Janssen's temptation and a vegetarian version of the same, paleek paneer, kale salad. (I think that is everything). The final round is desserts--krumkake, secret kiss cookies, brown sugar shortbreads, rosettes, lefse, peppernuts, Alice cookies.

I'm at the airport. Flight leaves in half an hour. Pick me up at the airport. I'm bringing Aquavit!

I'm making the Two Hot Tamales baked fideo casserole with chicken added.

Pumpkin Soup made with heavy cream and homemade chicken stock. Pork blade steak. Salad, homemade dressing.

Damp, cold and gloomy here today. Decided it was a good day for soup.

Took a container of beef roast/vegetable soup with orzo out of the freezer and warmed it up. We had a wedge of iceberg lettuce with bleu cheese crumbles and vinaigrette dressing, iced tea then...homemade eggnog ice cream with homemade butterscotch cookies. We are full and comforted.:yum:

We drove out to Jr's today for dinner and football game. The joys of modern electronics. They dvr'd the game so we could eat and talk without distraction and then picked up the game where it left off.

Dinner was a beef casserole and a chicken pasta casserole, homemade clover leaf rolls, Caesar salad and Christmas cookies/ ice cream for dessert.

CWS, I'd love to put together a real smorgasbord sometime, yours sounds really yummy.

Last edited:
Sunshine potato casserole with Brockwurst sausages on top, and a glorified green salad.

img_1404096_0_7bab732af26b0b17f09c0518a9bee84f.jpg

We drove out to Jr's today for dinner and football game. The joys of modern electronics. They dvr'd the game so we could eat and talk without distraction and then picked up the game where it left off.

Dinner was a beef casserole and a chicken pasta casserole, homemade clover leaf rolls, Caesar salad and Christmas cookies/ ice cream for dessert.

CWS, I'd love to put together a real smorgasbord sometime, yours sounds really yummy.
It was a bit "modified," 50% of the guests are vegetarians. It was fun introducing the tradition a smorgasbord to our friends, as well as introducing them to some traditional Swedish dishes. Be forewarned, you need to start the prep well in advance and have lots of fridge space. I started the gravlax 3 days out. Unfortunately, no one thought to take a picture of the table until the desserts were brought out. And, I asked everyone to bring a container so I could send leftovers home with everyone.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom