Whatcha eatin' today, Sunday Feb 9

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Macgyver1968

Senior Cook
Quarter to 7am, and getting ready to cook my famous fork tender pot roast for "Atheist Sunday Lunch" (The Christians of the house all go to church and I stay home and make Sunday Lunch for them)

I think I'll make some wonderful homemade rolls to go with it.

115_2369.JPG

These last ones I made were light and airy and delicous!

I'll probably have leftovers from last night.

Nice looking rolls.

Quarter to 7am, and getting ready to cook my famous fork tender pot roast for "Atheist Sunday Lunch" (The Christians of the house all go to church and I stay home and make Sunday Lunch for them)

I think I'll make some wonderful homemade rolls to go with it.
These last ones I made were light and airy and delicous!

Nice rolls!

When I was a kid if I didn't go to church I had to lick green stamps until they got home, I licked a lotta green stamps!:ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I just put on a pot of vegetable beef w/barley soup.

Last edited:
I bet the kids of the board don't even know what green stamps are. :)

Back in the day, the grocery store would give you a certain amount of green stamps with every purchase, depending on how much you bought. You would take the stamps and paste them into books. The books could be then redeemed for prizes.

I was thinking about making these Golden Crescent Rolls Recipe - Allrecipes.com

instead of the dinner rolls...the recipe calls for shortening...but I don't have any...can I sub butter for shortening?

I would substitute butter for the shortening also milk for part of the water. You could also use the bun recipe you made and just roll the dough out, butter it, cut it into wedges, form it into crescents and bake it. Your basic dough could be used half today as buns or pan rolls then refrigerate the rest and form it as crescents two or three days from now. It should keep fine for at least three days in the refrigerator. It will take a little extra time for the cold dough to return to room temperature and rise. Your basic dough could also be rolled out buttered, sprinkled with brown sugar, cinnamon, a few nuts then roll up and cut into rounds for cinnamon buns. A drizzle of icing after they begin to cool would not hurt anything.

Sorry for the long winded answer to a simple question! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I bet the kids of the board don't even know what green stamps are. :)

Back in the day, the grocery store would give you a certain amount of green stamps with every purchase, depending on how much you bought. You would take the stamps and paste them into books. The books could be then redeemed for prizes.

From where I sit you are one of the kids on the board! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

We always redeemed ours when my Mother was broke and needed a cheap and flashy shower or wedding present.

Cream of broccoli and bacon soup. I've been saving the stalks and cooking water from the broccoli I've been eating lately so it is time to make the soup.

I remember stopping at the green stamp store after church, which later became an Eckerds Drugs... where we would still stop and I'd go in and buy my father a couple El Producto Queens, the cigars that came in the glass tubes. They made great test tubes for a young boy. There were gold stamps, too, but they were to stamps what Beta was to VCR's.

I would substitute butter for the shortening also milk for part of the water. You could also use the bun recipe you made and just roll the dough out, butter it, cut it into wedges, form it into crescents and bake it. Your basic dough could be used half today as buns or pan rolls then refrigerate the rest and form it as crescents two or three days from now. It should keep fine for at least three days in the refrigerator. It will take a little extra time for the cold dough to return to room temperature and rise. Your basic dough could also be rolled out buttered, sprinkled with brown sugar, cinnamon, a few nuts then roll up and cut into rounds for cinnamon buns. A drizzle of icing after they begin to cool would not hurt anything.

Sorry for the long winded answer to a simple question! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Thank you..that was very informative.

Yesterday, I bought an 18 egg sized carton of eggs. DH brought the bags in and set them on the counter. The egg bag did not make it all the way onto the counter and immediately fell to the floor breaking 11 of the eggs. I managed to salvage them and so we will have scrambled eggs with bacon for lunch. I also bought a nice chuck roast that I'll make for supper with baked potatoes and salads.

dang it! I think my yeast is dead....brand new jar too. My dough has been rising for 30 minutes, and it's still the same as when it started.

Not sure, depends on what we feel like when we get done with Laundry...it is my last laundry foray where I need to take someone to do the heavy (more than 10 lbs) lifting. Yay!!!

My husband changed the menu to cabbage rolls. They are rolled and in the oven baking as I type. I am working on a pan of Halushki with the leftover cabbage. (cabbage and noodles.)

Back
Top Bottom