What's cookin, Friday the 14th??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
I'm having toast and some steamed veggies, carrots, asparagus, eggplant and artichoke hearts. BTW, if you cut up an eggplant, how long will it last? Should I cook it all and refrigerate or should I just cut half to steam and leave the other half in the frig for the next time?

Our local "super" Wal-Mart has a pretty good seafood department, & tonight we're having a mixed "seafood platter" of some of the prepared items they sell. They're not made in-house, & I have to admit, are extremely good.

We'll have one apiece of Lobster Cakes, Stuffed Crabs, & Coquille St. Jacques. The Coquilles, in their natural scallop shells, are particularly good. Chock full of bay (or perhaps Calico) scallops in a nice thick cream sauce. And all of the above are $1 & change apiece. More than reasonable for the quality. Who would have thought?

Will just heat & serve with lemon wedges & hot pepper sauce on the side, & a green salad.

i had a soy chicken pattie & gnocci in a garlic parmesan sauce with black pepper & an extra sprinkling of parmesan.

I put a half a large pork loin in my oval crock pot at noon, with the ubiquitous dry onion soup mix and a can of cream of mushroom soup. I've had it turned off for a while, as it is falling apart tender, and sitting in it's own gravy. It has the whole house smelling good!
My yard man found one nice morel mushroom (probably came out of the mulch) in my perennial bed, and instead of leaving it to spread it's spores, he picked it and brought in in to me. Kim picked a bunch of fresh asparagus last night, so I will probably braise all in chicken broth. Kim's promised mashed potatoes to go with.
There is enough for sandwiches tomorrow night, and another dish as well. Since we have so much, I'm tempted to simmer a little in with a can of sauerkraut for my lunch one day.
Have you ever tried Bush's Bavarian Style Sauerkreaut? It's delicious! I always bought the same old kind in a jar, but my daughter was doing my shopping, and that's what she brought home.
You can teach an old dog new tricks. :LOL:

I fixed buckytom's reccomendation for the sashimi salad with ubon noodles, posted under the salad section. It was a big hit. I dressed some baby spinach in red wine vinegar and olive oil. Then topped with ubon noodles with a little sauce (fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, little sugar, and water) Topped the noodles with tuna sashimi and then toasted sesame seeds. Served the sauce in a bowl on the side so you could add as much as you want.

We had mashed buttermilk marinated fried chicken, Yukon Gold mashed tators, and corn. Yum....

abjcooking said:
I fixed buckytom's reccomendation for the sashimi salad with ubon noodles, posted under the salad section. It was a big hit. I dressed some baby spinach in red wine vinegar and olive oil. Then topped with ubon noodles with a little sauce (fish sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, ginger, little sugar, and water) Topped the noodles with tuna sashimi and then toasted sesame seeds. Served the sauce in a bowl on the side so you could add as much as you want.

very cool, i'm glad you enjoyed it abj. i stole the idea for it from "east", a japanese restaurant on w.55th just off 9th ave, next to the original location of the soup nazi.

i think i'll try adding a little sugar to the sauce next time. thanks. i usually end up sipping the leftover sauce because it's so good.
i'm also going to try using spinach, maybe with some sesame oil.

for us last night was our usual friday sushi/sashimi.
miso soups, salads with ginger dressing, veggie gyoza, dragon roll, salmon skin hand roll, sashimi deluxe platter.
the chef put a lot of shiso leaves in it last night. they were delicious. they must be in season.

Oh man, I am totally jonesing for sushi now. I made us Monte Cristos last night as we were in a rush to get out the door.

alix, next time i'll save you some of the dragon roll. it's a california roll topped with overlapping slices of eel, a drizzle of eel sauce, and dollops of masago.
aa-aghlghlghlghghglhgl, taaaasty dragons...

our cats were very happy last night there was so much.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom