What's cookin', Monday, August 27th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i have a lot of tomatoes to cook down into sauce for canning or freezing, depending on if i can stay awake.
also, i'm gonna try my first attempt at making kosher dill spears using english cukes from my garden.

then, i was psyched to see lobsters go on sale again this week, for $6.99/lb., so we'll have them steamed. or if i can find seaweed, possibly a lobster bake with hot italian sausage or linguica, little necks, baby redskin spuds, and corn on the cob. i can't wait.
at that price, i may pick up an extra monster or two to make lobster rolls later in the week. i sure hope my boy doesn't want to keep one for a pet. we have enough with 4 cats, 2 parrots, 6 hermit crabs, and a turtle. (the cats and birds are pretty safe, but hermit crab tails and turtles are delicious :angel:)

You folks are a bunch of sick puppies. It's only nearly 11:30 Sunday night...and you're thinking/talking about Monday's meal. Okay, I'll admit I do plan my menus several months in advance, but I don't have my weekly calendar next to my bed. Go to night-night, you two! You're going to make the rest of look like slackers.:LOL::LOL:

lol, k.t.e., but it's LOBSTERS!!!

they're such tasty little monsters. i had one friday at a little seafood place, but it was very disappointing (dry and flavorless.i don't know how you make a steamed lobster dry) so i need to make them at home, the right way.

hmm, a question for everyone. is the water used to boil a lobster good for anything, like it could be used for fish stock? after skimming the scum off of course. or would that be scumming the skim. nope, the first one.

You folks are a bunch of sick puppies. It's only nearly 11:30 Sunday night...and you're thinking/talking about Monday's meal. Okay, I'll admit I do plan my menus several months in advance, but I don't have my weekly calendar next to my bed. Go to night-night, you two! You're going to make the rest of look like slackers.:LOL::LOL:

My mom used to plan out her dinner menus for two weeks in advance. I usually plan my menus for the week, but have it flexible so if anything changes I can switch dinners around. It if is a really hectic week I just wing it with what is in the pantry and freezer.

Bourbon or Ice cold Grey Goose! I have some beautiful Center-cut P-chops. Grill maybe? Gonna make risotto, and clean out the refrigerator.

Waiting for the curds and whey of my just-made buttermilk pot cheese to separate so I can strain the curds. Will make a cheese and herb tart out of it. We'll have a salad of mixed greens dressed in vinaigrette with it. Today's our meatless meal for the week. It's cooler, well only 94, so I'll reintroduce myself to my oven for the tart.

Still camping - I will be grilling burgers w/swiss cheese, sweet corn, sliced tomatoes, sweet onions, and chips. If wanted later, butter pecan ice cream.

I have a leftover chicken breast and thigh that need using up, so I think I'll make Thai noodles with veggies, chicken and peanut sauce.

For lunch today I have a double cheeseburger, Ruffles (they have ridges, ya know), some grapes, and a banana. Breakfast was Ovaltine and my supplements, and supper will be an iceberg lettuce, carrot, and purple cabbage salad mix with thousand island dressing, shredded colby and jack cheese, and seasoned croutons. If I feel adventuresome, I have some cooked ham and oven roasted turkey cold cuts I can roll up, chiffonade, and throw in.

Oh, and if I'm feeling deprived, I have all the ingredients, and the proper containers, to make a banana split; Bryer's vanilla, chocolate and strawberry ice creams; hot fudge, strawberry and pineapple toppings; a squirt can of whipped cream, and some chopped nut mix (peanuts, cashews, and walnuts). Sorry, no maraschino cherries, though. I heard they're fattening.

Last edited:
My wife is making me cuban black beans and fried plantains tonight, and we're going to eat the rest of some sausage we have left over.

Her being Cuban, I reckon it'll be pretty solid.

I am going to try the oven fried chicken recipe I got here on the forum. Add some mashed potatoes and gravy with sliced tomato salad topped with bleu cheese. Dessert? Probably not. Maybe some popcorn later with a movie.

I'm thinking spaghetti. I'm going to have to get some more mushrooms, as the little ones ate all the mushrooms I bought on Saturday.

Bourbon or Ice cold Grey Goose! I have some beautiful Center-cut P-chops. Grill maybe? Gonna make risotto, and clean out the refrigerator.

What time is dinner Uncle Bob? I'll be there!

I am making a chicken matzo ball soup - bourbon or ice cold grey goose sounds like the perfect match!

Caine said:
I went and told Aunt Rodey that the old grey goose was dead! Now I feel silly.

:LOL:

Actually I think the old goose did meet her demise. Now however, to honor a well spent life they have this wonderful spirit in a bottle to remember her by! Be sure to offer some up to Aunt Rodney. I do believe she will approve!!:)

I have a ton of tomatoes and a 10 lb. zucchini. Really, I think it's 10 lbs. Anyway, that will be tomorrow. For tonight - garden salad w/cucumber and tomatoes. Corn on the cob. If I get hungry later, I have a giant bowl of bruschetta (and 10 more tomatoes that I need to eat before the rest of them get ripe). ;)

Back
Top Bottom