What's cookin' on Sunday, April 15th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
First thing I am making today is salsa. I went shopping yesterday and bought fresh cilantro and tomatoes. I forgot to buy limes, so I am going to have to make a run back to the store for them. So, much for the shopping list. I hate it when I make a list and still forget an ingredient.

For dinner, I am making Oriental Skillet. Instead of trying to explain it, I have posted the recipe below. My mom taught me how to make this recipe when I was a kid. I hope that you all have a wonderful Sunday.

Oriental Skillet

1 lb. ground beef
27 saltine crackers, finely crushed
¼ cup finely chopped onion
2 teaspoons ginger, divided
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 egg, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-16 oz. package frozen oriental style vegetables, thawed
1 14 ½ oz. can beef broth
2 tablespoons soy sauce
½ cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Combine beef, cracker crumbs, onion, 1-teaspoon ginger, garlic, egg, and water. Shape into 24 meatballs. In a large skillet heat oil until hot. Brown meatballs for 10 minutes. Remove meatballs from pan and place on paper towels to drain. Wipe out pan and add vegetables, beef broth, soy sauce and remaining 1-teaspoon ginger. Bring to a low simmer. Blend water with cornstarch and add to skillet. Stir until boiling. Reduce heat and add meatballs. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Serve over rice. Serves 6.

Both of your meals sound yummy. The tomato, cucumber, and shallot relish sounds interesting. Abjcooking would you mind sharing the recipe with the rest of us?

I also forgot to mention that I am making zucchini bread, today. Believe it or not, I have never made zucchini bread before.

Making the dinner I posted for yesterday, grilled steak, spicy garlic butter shrimp, broccoli, baked potatoes and garlic bread. (Yesterday thought there would be two for dinner, turned into five) hence, change of plans -lol.

Making dessert too!

Last edited:
Sure Sierra, It's just a simple base of 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 t. sugar, and 1 t. salt. Sometimes depending on which vinegar I use I have to add a touch of water. I also find myself adjusting these measurements a bit though. Now just add as much of the base to the relish as you want. I try to keep the ingredients simple and use really fresh ingredients with the fish.

For the fish itself I just brush with a little olive oil and then sprinkle with salt, pepper and a little old bay seasoning.

It does go well with a lot of dishes. I used it in cous cous once, but there is something about the simplicity and freshness of the relish on light fish that is perfect on a warm day. I would think fresh herbs would be good in it as well, but I haven't tried it yet.

Sunday night is "everyman for himself"

So, I will begin with Bourbon...

And, I will end with Bourbon...

What goes on inbetween is anybody's guess at this point.

Sounds lovely Corazon, one of my favorite soups!

We couldn't be asked to cook, I had the left over falafel and the boy had his comfort food, beans on toast. I also made some vegan fudge brownies today and we had those for dessert. First time I made vegan brownies and they came out pretty dang good!

Rubbing down the chicken with my rub then cooking in the rotisserie. Simple salad of baby romaine, fresh mozzarella, tomatoes, cucumbers, and almonds with my favorite Dijon vinaigrette dressing.

I'll grill some wheat baguette into croutons. Edited to say I'll put a slice of grilled halloumi on the baguette slice.

Last edited:
I usually do my own thing when I cook, I'll see something and try to do it without a recipe or will glance at a recipe and then just take off..But, today I decided to try Crispy roast chicken and potatoes from Cooks Country mag. It says you will get a brown crispy chicken and potatoes by following the directions! Since I had to do 3 whole chickens it was some work... There are about 5 steps to it so I'm praying it turns out right... So far it looks great and I really interested to see if cooking it frist with a wing up then the other before turning breast up makes a difference..If this turns out lousy, oh dear, I might be forced to write a "letter":LOL: so on that note, along with chicken and potatoes and baby carrots, there will be artichokes, green salad with roasted pears and blue cheese, homemade rolls, and dessert is just banana cream pie. These babies better be crispy!!!

kadesma with fingers crossed...:LOL:

Tonight I am ordering in 2 individual Pan Pizzas with no tomatoes and double cheese and baked cinnamon sticks. I order all my pizza from a chain here known as Pizza Hut.

As far as I am concerned that have the best pizza.

I want to wish everyone a wonderful Sunday.

I made a big vat of marinara and homemade meatballs. I froze 3 big portions for use later and we had spaghetti and meatballs for dinner tonight.

Ouch! Traditional "tax" day here in the U.S.!! Yuck. Our taxes are done.

We're having roasted Cornish hens stuffed with onion, garlic, butter, thyme, parsley, salt and pepper. They're slathered with olive oil and will have a bronze, crisp skin. Also, steamed Italian green beans. Not sure what else.

Been a lazy day. We are just takin' it easy!

mr. callie is going to grill some peppered strip steaks. we'll also have baked potatoes and some steamed mixed veggies and garlic french bread. For dessert: Blue Bunny Berry Me, Please ice cream with Razzmatazz liqueur on top.

Our local market always has a bin of free bananas so I took 3 to make jkath's banana bundt cake tomorrow. thanks, jkath!

p.s. uncle bob, i always look forward to your nightly menus!

From scratch Shrimp Alfredo over angel hair pasta and a big garden salad for me tonight.

I blackened some tilapia, and made a sauce that me make at work, from sauteed shrimp, leeks, deglaze with white wine, add some cream, parm, and season with s&p. Homemade pilaf and corn for side. YUM!

Back
Top Bottom