What's Cookin' Saturday 10/17

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Chicken Cacciatori #9 Pasta, Pasta Salad...

Chicken Cacciatori 2020.jpg

Salad, Pasta.jpg

Attachments

• Chicken Cacciatori - Simmering.jpg
    Chicken Cacciatori - Simmering.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Corn bread tamale pie ala Joy of Cooking cookbook.

When I heard DH say he was hankering for some carrot cake, I thought I would make it for my birthday in a couple of weeks. I happened to mention that I was going to make a chocolate carrot cake. Neither of us had heard of chocolate carrot cake. I was talked into making a test one to see if it is any good!? Photos to follow when I cut into the cake.

Himself is off in his own field of dreams, down at Fort Hill Farm with his telescope. To make sure he warms up right proper when he gets home, I made a big pot of ham-and-15 bean-soup. We have crisp Italian bread and store bought cornbread for on the side.
IMG_20201017_195758518.jpg

Chocolate carrot cake. Definitely tasted like a chocolate cake!

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpg
    IMG_2768.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_2769.jpg
    IMG_2769.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_2771 (4).jpg
    IMG_2771 (4).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 61
I made a bean salad. We had it on the leftover leaves from yesterday's resto salad. I also cooked some store bought cheese tortellini and served it with homemade pesto. it worked well. Sorry, still taking shaky pictures with my tablet.

Attachments

• 20201017_191411.jpg
    20201017_191411.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 68
I made a soup in the IP today, a Mushroom Barley soup. It wasn't a one dish meal - I cook most mushrooms I put in dishes like this, or pasta dishes, using the ATK method of steaming the sliced or chopped mushrooms briefly, which pulls the excess water out of them, then brown them in a small amount of fat - this way, it doesn't absorb a lot of fat, when dry, and browning it and adding it towards the end gives the mushrooms a better flavor, which they keep, rather than releasing it all to the broth.

I started this by cooking some onions and a leek in some ghee, then added some celery and a carrot, and cooked a little longer. As I add to many mushroom dishes, some dried boletus mushrooms went in early, along with the soaking liquid. I also added a tb of white miso, and a tb of thin soy sauce for the salt, to the broth (soy seasonings always seems to go well with mushroom dishes). I added a quarter cup of red lentils, in place of a potato, in the original recipe, but also another quarter cup after the pressure cooking, when it was still a little thin, so those simmered 15 min after I added the browned mushrooms at the end, and it thickened up nicely.
Mushroom barley soup in IP, before last simmer. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Finished mushroom barley soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Because I spent time in the morning prepping taco meat and meatloaf for the freezer, we had tacos for dinner.

Ice cream with bananas, chocolate syrup and whipped cream to top it, for dessert.

Ross

I didn't know it was National Pasta Day yesterday, but apparently we celebrated it, too! [emoji16] Spaghetti with meat sauce and homemade garlic bread on the side.
20201017_200932.jpg

Very nice. Can you share the recipe?

Yes I can but you will have to make modifications because this is a recipe for high altitude baking. It will not work for near sea level baking. Leavening, sugar, oven temp, and other things need changed for sea level baking.

Chocolate Carrot Cake

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla extract
4 large eggs
2 cups shredded carrots

Preheat oven to 350*F.
Grease and flour 9x13 baking pan.
In a mixing bowl, mix all ingredients except carrots, on low speed until well blended, scraping often. Mix on high speed for 2 minutes. Stir in carrots. Spoon into baking pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.

Chream cheese frosting

8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. almond extract
2 cups powdered sugar/

Beat together cream cheese, butter and extraacts at medium speed until combined. Do not overbeat. Gradually add powered sugar sugar beating a low speed until smooth. Do not over beat.

Store in refrigerator.

Yes I can but you will have to make modifications because this is a recipe for high altitude baking. It will not work for near sea level baking. Leavening, sugar, oven temp, and other things need changed for sea level baking.

Chocolate Carrot Cake

2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 t. baking soda
1 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. vanilla extract
4 large eggs
2 cups shredded carrots

Preheat oven to 350*F.
Grease and flour 9x13 baking pan.
In a mixing bowl, mix all ingredients except carrots, on low speed until well blended, scraping often. Mix on high speed for 2 minutes. Stir in carrots. Spoon into baking pan. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes.

Chream cheese frosting

8 oz. cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
1 t. vanilla extract
1/2 t. almond extract
2 cups powdered sugar/

Beat together cream cheese, butter and extraacts at medium speed until combined. Do not overbeat. Gradually add powered sugar sugar beating a low speed until smooth. Do not over beat.

Store in refrigerator.
Thank you Beth

Back
Top Bottom