What's Cookin', Sunday, 07/09?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SierraCook

Master Chef
Tonight, I am having one of my favorite recipes: Skewered Shrimp with Lemon and Basil. I am thinking of having a rice dish with the shrimp and some sauteed zucchini. Or I might cook the zucchini on the grill with the shrimp.

This morning I cooked up a bunch of Italian sausage that I had in the freezer and needed to be cooked. Later in the week I will make it in to a spaghetti sauce.

I hope that you all have a wonderful Sunday!! :)

I'm playing around.

I'm making a big batch of marinara with broccoli and carrots, maybe some zucchini. I'll pour half over spaghetti and the other half over acorn squash.

doener kebap from the take-away.. Frank's just off to fetch it..
then we will watch the last match of the worldcup with some nice chilled beer, this time at home ;o)

well,, SC, it could have been better..
but if Germany would have been in the final we would not be at home, we would have gone to Berlin to watch it there at the Fanarena around the Brandenburger Tor

I'm making my version of Chicken Pot Pie (basically the chicken stew topped by pre-made biscuits, then baked). What a stupid idea! Who knew summer would choose TODAY to start (it's been cool enough to need sweaters in the mornings 'til now!). Have a few guests showing up and a barbecue wouldn't be practical as some are flying in and who knows when they'll show. I needed something I could cook and just heat at the last minute. There will be a greens-from-the-garden salad and appetizers will be crudites and a tapenade I made earlier this week for a party and set some aside.

i'm choosing a dinner as i type. seafood cocktail, w/ a strawberry & alcohol blended slush.
spent my afternoon w/ Mom & shopped so i'm exhausted. may stop at a bar & get a drink or 2 before getting a shower. was previously mildly panicky as i had to squeeze into my new sz. 0's, till Mom confirmed that a pair of 11's recently given to me were kiddo's 11's, not junior's 11-ish, & they fit me well. rather loosely. i'm skeptical.:glare: :huh:
i digress.... i'm keeping dinner lt. due to this.

Last edited:
luvs said:
i'm choosing a dinner as i type. seafood cocktail, w/ a strawberry & alcohol blended slush.
spent my afternoon w/ Mom & shopped so i'm exhausted. may stop at a bar & get a drink or 2 before getting a shower. was previously mildly panicky as i had to squeeze into my new sz. 0's, till Mom confirmed that a pair of 11's recently given to me were kiddo's 11's, not adult 11's, & they fit me well. rather loosely. i'm skeptical.:glare: :huh:
i digress.... i'm keeping dinner lt. due to this.

A year ago I was wearing girls jeans too...the problem I had was the length. They were a little short. I firmly believe that girls jeans are cut looser than juniors. Don't panic!

Sorry to hijack...back to our regularly scheduled program.:angel:

Angie said:
A year ago I was wearing girls jeans too...the problem I had was the length. They were a little short. I firmly believe that girls jeans are cut looser than juniors. Don't panic!

Sorry to hijack...back to our regularly scheduled program.:angel:

thanks, yeah, i figured they were jrs. instead of kiddos jeans; i'm 5' 5.5" or 5'7". so instead of crying, i'm going to a movie & went & got some history books. i adore reading. dinner can wait for later.

SierraCook said:
Tonight, I am having one of my favorite recipes: Skewered Shrimp with Lemon and Basil. I am thinking of having a rice dish with the shrimp and some sauteed zucchini. Or I might cook the zucchini on the grill with the shrimp.
Yum Sierra! That sounds great! Is the recipe posted somewhere?

I'll be having some asiago ravioli. I'll saute some mushrooms & spinach, toast some pine nuts, toss it all in brown butter and crumble goat cheese over it all. I'll get started as soon as the sleeping Callum in my arms wakes up.:)

I didn't go all out for Supper tonight as we had a busy day and weren't famished. However, I'd thawed out some pork chops yesterday and didn't get a chance to fix them so thats what we had tonight.

I went out to my herb garden and snipped some fresh parsley, thyme, oregano and basil and mixed them into some bread crumbs. I dipped the chops in an egg bath and then into the bread mixture and fried them in EVOO with a little butter. Oh and of course seasoned them with S & P. I finished them off in the oven. We only opted for one side dish so that was roasted potatoes that I drizzled with EVOO and sprinkled with fresh rosemary, salt, garlic salt and pepper.

We'd left early this afternoon for the Indianapolis Zoo and had stopped before at KFC. Then on the way back we stopped for ice cream so we weren't very hungry.

So now I sit exhausted .......... catching site of that comfy bed of mine through the corner of my eye..........belly full and heart content. What a beautiful day!

SierraCook said:
Tonight, I am having one of my favorite recipes: Skewered Shrimp with Lemon and Basil. :)

The shrimp turned out so yummy, that I ate them all. With them I had roasted garlic couscous and a sliced avocado. I also made Andy M's Thai Pickled Cucumbers. If you make these make sure that you like spicy food. But I think they are fantastic.

Thai Pickled Cucumbers

1 Seedless Cucumber
1 1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 C Rice Vinegar
3 Tb Sugar
2 Shallots, sliced thin
1 Jalapeno Pepper, minced

Slice the cucumber thinly and toss with the salt. Let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. (Peeling the cuke is optional)

Separately combine the vinegar, sugar, shallots and jalapeno.

Drain the cucumber and pat dry with paper towels and toss with the vinegar mixture.
Refrigerate until ready to serve.

Last night was hot Italian turkey sausage hero/sub/hoagie sandwiches.
I was going to do the sausages outside on the grill, but we had a couple of thunderbusters roll thru, so I ended up cooking them inside on my cast-iron grill pan.

Sliced the sausages lengthwise & served them on nice fresh Italian bread & topped with ketchup & sliced peppers & onions sauteed in olive oil with a sprinkling of granulated garlic & crushed red pepper flakes. Served with a tossed green salad.

Friends just got back from Hawaii and invited us over for a dinner party - Philipino food, mmmm.

Back
Top Bottom