What's Cookin' Sunday Oct 2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Another Sunday, another meal planned in advance.
Week four of Pacanis' Personal Pigskin Challenge has my Browns playing Tennessee, so it will be "Memphis Style" BBQ'd ribs. From what I gather, this will differ from my usual ribs because the (vinegar based) sauce will be served on the side, not cooked on the ribs. The rub will also have more of a paprika influence. And the ribs will be mopped, something I never do, with a vinegar and cider mixture. They are marinating right now in vinegar, cider, hot sauce, garlic, bay leaves and salt. They will be smoked using straight hickory.
Also on the menu will be some beans cooked in the BBQ and I'll probably round things out with some moink balls.

But before all this, I will turn the extra lamb burger I grilled Friday into a loco moco. I've already got the rice soaking.

Anyone else have a plan yet?

This ought to hold me until tonight.

Attachments

• loco moco with lamb.jpg
    loco moco with lamb.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 202
I'll be making low fat granola for breakfasts this week and for dinner I'm making a pork loin with an apricot coffee glaze.

How do you make your pilaf, Andy?
Do you add the ingredients to a rice cooker along with the rice and liquid, or saute them, then add your rice and broth to the same pan? Or something different?

Not sure yet what it'll be. Possibly chicken. DH had to go into work today because the contractors had crews at 2 work sites and an engineer needs to be available onsite whenever a crew is working. Not sure how long he'll have to be there. Still recouping from football yesterday (in the cold windy stadium). All I know is sandwiches for lunch!

How do you make your pilaf, Andy?
Do you add the ingredients to a rice cooker along with the rice and liquid, or saute them, then add your rice and broth to the same pan? Or something different?

I don't use a rice cooker, Fred. I'll post the recipe in the rice section.

Thanks. I didn't realize a pilaf could be so simple. I always think of veggies, shrimp or other items mixed in with the rice.

Sunday Brunch - grape juice, mixed fruit salad with creme fraiche, garlicky spinach-sausage gratin, toasted Boudin sourdough garlic bread, and mimosas

Sunday Dinner - Sauerbraten, potato dumplings rolled in buttered breadcrumbs, green beans with bell pepper sautéd in butter and garlic, and a 2008 HJ Fabre Malbec Patagonia

Leftover extra spicy spaghetti sauce (doctored and diluted) and leftover minced bbq chops with kidney beans and veg in the CP. I'll call it Barley y Fagioili.

Last edited:
I don't plan too many meals in advance, either. But tonight will be seared scallops in a cream/sherry sauce over linguini. Yumm. One of my favorite "fancy" meals.

Since if feels more like fall, we're having this beef stew, along with homemade potato rolls with butter, a nice bottle of red wine and some of the buttery cashew cookies I made for our trip. Amazingly, some of the cookies are still left.

Thanks. I didn't realize a pilaf could be so simple. I always think of veggies, shrimp or other items mixed in with the rice.

This is a pretty basic recipe. Try it and see if you like it. The browner the butter and noodles, the better the taste. An easy addition is to saute some minced shallot or onion with the butter and noodles. You can google and find endless variations.

Sandwiches made from some leftover tri tip I grilled last night.

Can you toss one of those sandwiches over this way?
I have Red Beans simmering for Red Beans and Rice. I will make a salad to go along.

And I just happen to have some shallots, too, Andy. :)

The beans are on. The moink balls are on. The ribs are on.

Attachments

• beans & moink balls1.jpg
    beans & moink balls1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 157
  • ribs1.jpg
    ribs1.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 151
pacanis said:
And I just happen to have some shallots, too, Andy. :)

The beans are on. The moink balls are on. The ribs are on.

Room for one more at the table, Pac? Looks divine!

Back
Top Bottom