What's cookin' Thurs. 6/23?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
Goulash for me. I haven't made that in a while and I should be able to use up a few things I have laying around, like a red bell pepper and some shallots. No hamburger, but I do have some ground turkey and a couple pieces of rope sausage that I took out of the freezer already. I'll bake a loaf of bread to go along with it some time today.

Those are my plans anyway.
Anyone else have a plan yet?

Fajitas. Again. I like them, but my daughter wants them all of the time. So, we have them at least two or three times a month. One thing I like about them is that they take very little time from start to finish. And, other than one knife, a cutting board and two frying pans, there aren't many dishes. We usually use paper plate liners.

Goulash for me. I haven't made that in a while and I should be able to use up a few things I have laying around, like a red bell pepper and some shallots. No hamburger, but I do have some ground turkey and a couple pieces of rope sausage that I took out of the freezer already. I'll bake a loaf of bread to go along with it some time today.

Those are my plans anyway.
Anyone else have a plan yet?
I love goulash! The last time I made it was in the crock-pot, then I added the macaroni later. Do you make the authentic goulash or the American version?

I make the American version, Vanilla, but I have made gulyás before and liked it a lot. I just restocked my paprika supply from Penzeys because I was going to make the Hungarian version again soon.
I use shells for my goulash because that's how my mother used to make it. I know a lot of people use elbow macaroni as tradition. It will be weird not having/seeing green peppers in it, but my plan was to use up that red one I have. I cook mine stovetop.

Can't go wrong with fajitas, Rock.

I just placed a roast in the crock-pot for 8-9 hours. Will pull out some brussell sprouts and potatoes as sides.

I have never made or eaten goulash. I will have to look that one up.

The kind I am making is often referred to as American chop suey, Harold.

Good morning,

Last day of school today .. YIPPEE!

We are meeting some friends for pizza later today, so depending on how hungry everyone is tonight, we'll have breakfast for dinner.

Rock--I don't know what else to call this--greek-mex oven-fried eggplant? I don't use recipes a lot--I cook by intuition and taste and what I have on hand...I gotta eat these eggplants, I have feta, and I have an open jar of homemade salsa...and, the DH is back in the City.

Made some yummy tuna pasta with fresh tomato, chilli and herbs from my garden. Also put some julienned carrots, zucchini, red bell pepper, onions and string beans in. Oh and some of my homemade chilli sauce and smoked paprika. Came out really good!

Still working on leftovers here. Have half a pork loin that's already been roasted in the fridge. Will take that out and reheat it with some BBQ sauce (Maybe I'll fire up the grill for that) and serve it with the leftover potato salad

Eggplant poutine (oven-fried eggplant sticks, salsa, and feta chunks).
CW that sounds so very good! I will keep that in mind - we love eggplant and DH can have salsa. I'll keep it the same for me and change out the feta for his "uncheese". And I love the name!

If I can get to the fish market I think I will try Tyler Florence's Ahi Tuna which Zereh posted in the Ahi Tuna thread. However it is raining so I might see what I can do with the cross-cut shortribs I bought forgetting I can't do them my normal way as DH now can't have soy.

Rock--I don't even bother to makes the chunks smaller...I love it cold without the crackers. Do sometimes eat "garden antipasto" on homemade whole wheat pita wedges...(anything with eggplant, bring it on)! I haven't met an eggplant-based dish yet that I don't like...

LP, I just slice the eggplant, sprinkle it with a bit of salt, let it drain in a colander for about 30 minutes. I then blot it dry with papertowels, dredge the eggplant sticks in a bit of seasoned flour, then egg with a bit of milk/water, and then dry bread crumbs. Place the sticks (you could cut the eggplant in wedges), on a lightly oiled cookie sheet for about 10 minutes at 400-425, flip, and bake another 10 minutes.

I'm still trying to figure out what to make tonight! Maybe will grill something. Just don't know what sounds good yet. I am sure I will think of something after reading what everyone will have.;)

I've been sitting her trying to think what I'll make for dinner.

Then SO called and said a woman who is friends with the family she works for made some type of Asian stuffed peppers and she is bringing some home for dinner tonight.

I have no clue what kind of peppers or what they are stuffed with. The person said they should be eaten with soy sauce and sour cream! That seems unusual. Sour cream?

Back
Top Bottom