What's Cookin' - Tuesday 1/4

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
Beans & FranksNavy and Great Northern Beans, Fire-Roasted Tomatoes, Yellow Onion and Bacon....
A Toasted Potato Roll ........

Beans & Franks 1-4-22.jpg

My wife made Sesame Honey Chicken Thighs tonight. Yum, yum.

Attachments

• 0304201654.jpg
    0304201654.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 23
All looks good!

I bought a pork loin on sale and made it in a Dutch oven. Sadly, I overcooked it to the point it tastes like really nicely-flavored sawdust - even with gravy. :ermm: It's not burned. It is just too dry.

Not wanting to simply toss it (as I am my frugal mother's child,) I opted to use it with noodles and gravy. The flavor was good but still really dry. I need ideas to use up the roast. Am thinking about something like enchiladas and shredding the meat. Does anyone have ideas to use very dry roast?

When I have a leftover piece of relatively plainly cooked meat such as a chicken breast or pork chop, especially if it's ovetcooked, I like to dice them and reheat in a hot sauce such as Crystal or Frank's. Then add to a bowl of mac-n-cheese along with a sprinkle of hot pepper flakes.
Sort of a late night guilty pleasure.

Last edited:
Pork chop with a spinach and feta stuffing, roasted butternut squash with cinnamon and butter.

9D7D8F97-D149-40B8-B11B-4F77B6015EF4_1_105_c.jpg

Not feeling inspired tonight, so I fell back on old reliable smothered baked potatoes with ham, broccoli, and cheese.

...I need ideas to use up the roast. Am thinking about something like enchiladas and shredding the meat. Does anyone have ideas to use very dry roast?
When I have leftover pork roast, I often thinly slice or shred the pork, then warm it in BBQ sauce. Sometimes I'll cook up a 3 or 4 pounder just so I have lots leftover to bag and freeze. I put the sauced meat on toasted rolls with bread and butter pickles, tots and coleslaw on the side.

We heated some of the white bean and Italian sausage soup/stew that I made last week. We had it with wholegrain wheat with sunflower seeds bread. A sprinkling of parm on top.

White bean and Italian sausage stew with wholewheat sunflower seed bread.jpg

All looks good!

I bought a pork loin on sale and made it in a Dutch oven. Sadly, I overcooked it to the point it tastes like really nicely-flavored sawdust - even with gravy. :ermm: It's not burned. It is just too dry.

Not wanting to simply toss it (as I am my frugal mother's child,) I opted to use it with noodles and gravy. The flavor was good but still really dry. I need ideas to use up the roast. Am thinking about something like enchiladas and shredding the meat. Does anyone have ideas to use very dry roast?

I just remembered what my very frugal mother did with leftover pork and chicken.

We always had leftovers that were overcooked because of my 5 siblings, 2 always wanted well done everything. And then they ate like birds, hence the leftovers.

Undeterred, my mom would simmer the leftovers in a good tomato sauce until they became soft again, but not before they fell apart.

I like CG's idea of using bbq sauce as well.

If it's dry, sauce it.

Did a Stir Fry for son and DIL

Minced pork, mushrooms, red & orange sweet peppers, bok choy over Udon noodles.

Yummy but no pic (a shame as was very colourful)

Back
Top Bottom