What's cookin' Tuesday, 10-4-2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cooking Goddess

Chef Extraordinaire
I have a pound of ground round that needs using. I'm going to try and turn it into these Jumbo Cheesy Italian Meatballs for dinner tonight. I don't have any bocconcini, but the Galbani cheese I do have is very soft and smooth. It should be fine. Famous last words...

What's on deck at your place?

Been craving French Dip Sammiches with a side of onion rings.
That's my dinner. The guys want bbq pulled pork sammiches.
Clean out the fridge night. Would hate too see a good Tri-tip go to waste.

Were all taking it easy today. Lazy is a good recipe. :mrgreen:

Glenn's daughter had us at her home Sunday evening for a shrimp boil meal. Omigosh, it was good. She sent us home with a huge bowl of leftovers.

Since today was grocery day and I had a doctor's appointment I really didn't have the time, or energy, to make a big meal. Thanks for leftovers from the shrimp boil.

I chopped the spicy onions, peeled the huge shrimp and chopped it up. Added some minced celery and yellow bell pepper, along with enough mayo to hold things together. Saved the cooked red potatoes to reheat to morph into "baked."

The market had some really nice red leaf lettuce, which will provide a nice base for the shrimp salad.

I think we'll be plenty full. Especially since we were also sent home with a container of their "custom" salsa. That'll get, um, scooped up with chips.

I made a modified beef stroganoff.

The modifications?
- gluten free fettuccine instead of egg noodles
- ground turkey
- thick coconut milk (can) instead of sour cream or yogurt
- gluten-free gravy mix

Everything else is normal LOL

It actually tastes a lot better than it sounds. We had cucumbers and tomatoes as our veg.

A big bowl of cooked kimchi. The raw kimchi is kind of tough still, so the cooking helps it be a little more tender. Served with a side of sour cream, all in all quite delicious.

Have a half chicken sandwich from Hardee's, and a bunch of the hottest chili I think I've ever made. DH's former workwife gifted us with a bunch of jalapenos that would burn your nose hairs out, along with sending flames out your ears.

It's really pretty good. Needs lots of shredded cheese and saltines.

Change of plans due to a Facebook post from a friend in TX:

taco-day-10.4.jpg

I was using ground beef today as it was. No reason to not switch the menu. After all, not only is it Tuesday, it's an Official Taco Tuesday.
fiesta.gif

Onions, garlic, celery, mushrooms, all sliced and browned up. Added a whole bunch of mini roma's, a squirt of anchovy paste. Did a whack of pasta, also did some ground beef. Mixed all up, added some grated cheese from the freezer... think it was but not sure, Gouda and Swiss.

Poured it all into a casserole, grated some parmesan on, baked for about 30 minutes. Dug in... very tasty, hit the spot, amazing I could taste it all thru my fever but did... does that make me a true :pig::pig:??

I made a pumpkin sformato, Pumpkin Sformato with Fonduta and Frisee Recipe : Mario Batali : Food Network , but ended up not making the salad and didn't take any pics. I made the bread for Craig's muffalata and, honestly, am quite stressed out by the hurricane headed our way. We're leaving Thursday a.m. as of now for Florida's west coast, but obviously will be taking the pets and electronics and as much "special stuff" as possible, but it's just kind of overwhelming. We haven't had to deal with a hurricane bearing down on us like this since Andrew in 1992 and I'm just ...... Tomorrow will be a busy day. Praying there will be a HUGE eastward shift.

medtran... you and Craig take care. Take what you can, and be damned to the rest. Seeing as you have to go, make it a vacation... and enjoy yourselves.
(ok, never mind, that was dumb, you will still worry... but TRY not to)

(but first, wrap the rest all up in heavy plastic before you leave..:LOL:)

Med, I'm thinking of you and everyone in harms way.:huh:

We had deconstructed killer Cheeseburgers..without bread.

Fried up some thick sliced bacon, removed from pan and added sliced onion, and sliced crimini mushrooms till browned and kept it all warm in the toaster oven. Fried up the thick patties, topped with sliced Swiss cheese and served them in shallow bowls of of romaine and grape tomatoes. Topped the cheeseburgers with the bacon/onions/mushrooms/Peperoncini and drizzled the whole thing with Catalina salad dressing.
Ohh yeah!!:yum:

Last edited:
Oh dear. Stay safe, medtran and Craig!

I remember Hurricane Wilma hitting Cozumel, 12 years ago, I think. Nobody works harder than Mexicans. They hacked my friends out of the jungle with machetes in two days.

I'll bring my machete. And a couple of Mexicans.

Last edited:
OMGosh, watching the weather reports and thinking of y'all. :ohmy:

As for dinner, a simple taco Tuesday here, too. I grabbed some leftover seasoned ground beef out of the freezer this morning...chopped up some lettuce and tomatoes...fried a couple of corn tortillas, wrapped them up and called it good. Kind of tired this evening and not wanting to do much more.

Mrs Landlord went to the farmer's market on Saturday and sent down a "squash" ... 'I have no idea what this is but it looked interesting and I thought you would be able to make something more palatable than I could...'
HMMM
It's a Butternut and so I searched for something different to make her for her late work night on Tuesday (tonight).
I made this
Baked Pasta with Butternut Squash
it looked and smelled amazing!
Thing is, I parcooked it and stopped at the "bake for 30 minutes..." and sent it up the dumb waiter for they're supper...
I did ask that they please take a photo of the finished product, since this was a new recipe for me.
.... we had chicken cacciatore (DH does not like squash) with the other half of the box of cavatappi (I thought that a half pound of pasta was enough), DH loved it, what? he's a rigatoni kinds guy ...

I made pan-seared pork chops sprinkled with Penzeys Southwest Seasoning, topped with leftover pineapple-tomatillo salsa, along with baked potatoes. I also made garden salads.

It's looking like we'll be getting at least some wind and rain from Matthew this weekend. Right now, we're planning on stocking up on supplies and staying here. Hoping it stays offshore.

Take care, Craig and medtran, and anyone else who might be affected.

...We haven't had to deal with a hurricane bearing down on us like this since Andrew in 1992 and I'm just ...... Tomorrow will be a busy day. Praying there will be a HUGE eastward shift.
I hope things shift east for you, too. It would be good to go back home and find everything just like you left it, only a little wetter. Stay safe on the west coast.

Himself was happy with the change of dinner plans. Rather than margaritas, though, or something vodka-based (since it seems like it was also Happy Vodka Day or some such thing), he decided we needed to use up some of the OJ in the refrigerator. Voila! An old-tyme favorite: Tequila Sunrises...or, in our case, Sunsets. :LOL:

Attachments

• 2016-10-04 21.11.49.jpg
    2016-10-04 21.11.49.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 138
Back
Top Bottom