What's cookin', Tuesday, September 18th.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buckytom

Chef Extraordinaire
i have chiciken legs that need to be grilled, along with eggplants, peppers, and zucchini. god, i'm sick of nightshade veggies.

i also have an angus rump roast that's destined to be pot roast. not sure if i'll have time to make it tonight. i have to call my mom for her recipe as it's the only pot roast my family will eat. if it's a go'er, i'll make mashed spuds and baby peas for sides, to go with the gravy.

whatcha cookin'?

I`m doing meat samosas with a very nice mixed salad, I may chuck some feta cheese in there too.

Roast beef is about as easy as it gets...

Take the roast, rub with a little garlic, pepper, salt and I like a little Lee& Perrins.

Place in the roasting pan preferably on a rack but not is OK too.
Surround it with potatoes(I like reds), carrots and onion. Pour in enough water to half cover the veggies. Cover and bake in a 350 degree oven. After 45 minutes check the meat with a thermometer. I like mine fairly rare in the middle, to each his own.

When the meat is where you want it, remove it and let it rest. Allow the vegetables to continue baking until the carrots are tender.

In a skillet, melt some butter. When melted take your flour and make a nice roux. Add a little milk and stir until smooth. Remove the vegetables from the pan and pour in the roux mixture and bring up to a light boil. Allow it to simmer until it thickens slightly, salt and pepper to taste.

slice the beef, serve with the veggies and very tasty gravy.

i have chiciken legs that need to be grilled, along with eggplants, peppers, and zucchini. god, i'm sick of nightshade veggies.

i also have an angus rump roast that's destined to be pot roast. not sure if i'll have time to make it tonight. i have to call my mom for her recipe as it's the only pot roast my family will eat. if it's a go'er, i'll make mashed spuds and baby peas for sides, to go with the gravy.

whatcha cookin'?

care to post it for the rest of us BT? I'd personally love it. Whenever our DD asks me to make one at her house, I go online, pick some recipes, put all of their ingreds together, and that's how it's made. Always very good but if your mom's is terrific, we'd all appreciate it being posted.
```````````````````````````````

Returning home from our vaca tonight so dinner may be out at an eatery, but no idea what that'd be yet. Gotta pack and get outta this hotel room asapp............

i certainly will post her recipe, lefse. i'm pretty sure it's plain: just s&p, a good sear, then braising it with carrots and onions. a flour roux or maybe just a slurry for the gravy. dw thinks her secret is to use evoo and butter during the browning of the meat, and chicken stock for the braising liquid. i'll fill in the details as soon as i speak to her. :chef:

i certainly will post her recipe, lefse. i'm pretty sure it's plain: just s&p, a good sear, then braising it with carrots and onions. a flour roux or maybe just a slurry for the gravy. dw thinks her secret is to use evoo and butter during the browning of the meat, and chicken stock for the braising liquid. i'll fill in the details as soon as i speak to her. :chef:

My mom always used the Betty Crocker recipe, so I do too :) It sounds like the above except you spread prepared horseradish on the meat after searing it. It doesn't taste like horseradish at all after it's cooked, but it has a wonderful flavor.

My regular Wednesday night dinner group is changing the night back to Tuesday (now our name makes sense again - TNT, or Tuesday Night Tipplers ;) ), and we're going to a restaurant that serves fondue; once a month on Tuesdays, they have an event called Women Who Wine, with wine tastings and appetizers for $20. So that's what I'm doing. DH will have to fend for himself.

We picked apples so I've been busy cooking/freezing. I have some applesauce in the crockpot and made a bunch of apple cheddar muffins. :chef:

I bought some poblano peppers last night, so I'm contemplating chiles rellenos (baked).

Brunch...

Egg white omelet with tomato, onion, crumbled bacon and grated co-jack cheese. Whole wheat english muffin and melon on the side.

I was running late this morning so I skipped breakfast. I had a banana mid-morning. For lunch I made myself a ham, turkey and Swiss cheese sub on a 6-inch French roll with mayo, lettuce and tomato, accompanied by a sandwich bag full of Ruffles.

Over the week-end I picked up turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, corn, stuffing, and cornbread for 4 from Boston Market, so I think I will heat up some of the leftovers for supper tonight.

Sofie had me up most of the night with teething pain. Even though she's not finished cutting her cuspids she's now dealing with her first 2 year molar, too (OMG, I will be so happy when she's finished teething--only 5 more to go!). Needless to say, it's turning into a long day and I know already taht DH will be late so I'm hoping he'll agree to picking up a pizza or sandwiches on the way home. I think I deserve that much!:ROFLMAO:

Chicken Schnitzle, mashed potatoes, spinach with a little cider vinegar....

Leftover 80th B-Day cake of my Mom-in-Law's... :)

Bethie's Flat Cordon Bleu, shiitake wild rice, and broccoli in
my free sample Ziploc Steaming Bag.

(I am betting I can make my own steaming bag with a freezer bag
and a stick pin. We shall see!)

I pulled out a ham last night. It's great to have a working oven again. I'm not sure what kind of sides I'm going to do with the ham.

Bucky, when I do a pot roast, I always rub it down with salt, fresh ground pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, some thyme, and rosemary. I use beef stock for my braising liquid.

Back
Top Bottom