What's Cooking 6th August

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kylie, some sweet onions and sour cream in the middle and those would be my tacos to a tee. I've gotta ask though... hard shells or soft? ;)

That sounds yummy Pacanis :yum:

I prefer the hard shells, hubby prefers the soft, so we have a variety here :)

I have never tried fish tacos GG...may try them next ;)

They are really good! Meant to mention before, I've stopped using sour cream and am using less mayonnaise lately, in favor of Greek yogurt. Also, I use lettuce instead of cabbage because I don't digest it well. But use whatever you like, of course.

Here are a couple of great sites I like to use for Mexican cooking:

- Mexican Made Easy
- Recipes from Chef Rick Bayless

Last edited:
Yep, hard shells here, too.
Anything else is just a wrap ;)

Gotta disagree with you, pacanis :) It's a personal preference which to choose, of course, but traditionally, Mexican tacos are done with soft corn tortillas, flour more recently. I went to a parking-lot taco truck with my cousins in California a few years ago and was surprised that the pork tacos were served just with corn tortillas, Mexican-style pulled pork filling, a sprinkle of red onion, and a bit of cotija cheese, with hot sauce on the tables.

I used to just make tacos from the Old El Paso dinner package, but as I said, I've been branching out. Especially since I've been making and freezing salsas from homegrown tomatoes, tomatillos, hot and bell peppers and onions, I've been doing different things than I used to. :yum:

GotGarlic said:
Gotta disagree with you, pacanis :) It's a personal preference which to choose, of course, but traditionally, Mexican tacos are done with soft corn tortillas, flour more recently. I went to a parking-lot taco truck with my cousins in California a few years ago and was surprised that the pork tacos were served just with corn tortillas, Mexican-style pulled pork filling, a sprinkle of red onion, and a bit of cotija cheese, with hot sauce on the tables.

I used to just make tacos from the Old El Paso dinner package, but as I said, I've been branching out. Especially since I've been making and freezing salsas from homegrown tomatoes, tomatillos, hot and bell peppers and onions, I've been doing different things than I used to. :yum:

When we go to Mexico, it's a basket of corn tortilla chips and salsa immediately placed on the table. Your meats are always served with soft corn tortillas in a covered basket.

When it's Taco Tuesday here, we get corn hard shell tacos.

Last edited:
it might just be an eastern u.s. thing based on some past advertising, but like pac, tacos to me are hard shell.

fajitas, enchiladas, and so on are wrapped with a soft tortilla.

only in the past decade have i seen both soft and hard shells offered as tacos, and it's usually stipulated.

I think it's a matter of preference. I don't think hard shells or soft are more authentic. I switched from hard to soft (tortillas) because the hard shells always seem to shatter and dump filling in your lap.

I'm a fan of the more traditional style tacos, as dawgluver mentioned she gets when she's in Mexico. Soft corn tortillas and pulled pork filling, but I add some lettuce and either chopped tomatoes or salsa. That's it. :) I love them that way, no cheese or sour cream, or anything else. :yum:

it might just be an eastern u.s. thing based on some past advertising, but like pac, tacos to me are hard shell.

fajitas, enchiladas, and so on are wrapped with a soft tortilla.

only in the past decade have i seen both soft and hard shells offered as tacos, and it's usually stipulated.

I concur :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom