What's cooking Saturday 10/29/2016?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I'm not sure yet. Waiting for hub and DD to get home. Choices are chicken, pork, steak, pasta and sauce. Unless someone wants to order take out.

It was linguine and tomato sauce and Birds Eye Bavarian beans and spaetzle.

It's going to be a leftovers night for us, or what we call in Hawaii,
Mixed Plate.
Broiled Flank Steak (leftover)
Baked Chicken Thighs (leftover)
TJ's Hatch Chile Mac&Cheese
sauteed Zucchini with loads of garlic (leftover)
:yum:
Dessert will be Orange Jell-o with canned Mandarin orange segments, topped with Redi-Wip :pig:

Pressure cooked pork chops with shallots and mustards (plural is intentional). Pork in the PC was very moist and tender. Brown basmati with steamed broc on the side.

German here, too - although I didn't cook it. I went to a little local restaurant and this was one of the specials: Hasenpfeffer (rabbit), spaetzle, and their homemade sauerkraut. I don't eat carbs, but did have a few bites of the spaetzle.

img_1485575_0_57c49beca79fb3d295f4fca3e68f2d54.jpg

Last edited:
Grandkids had little individual Pate Chinoise (Quebecoise for Shepherd's Pie (or Cottage)).

Two adults had Portobello Mushrooms c Pears and Gruyere.

Two adults shared a leftover spicy chicken tacquitos c rice (but no tacquitos :rolleyes:).

Then finally it was ready to shred and the 3 adults had the pulled pork with creamy slaw.

Dessert was lemon pudding drizzled with chocolate caramel salt sauce and frozen vanilla yogurt.

It's going to be a leftovers night for us, or what we call in Hawaii,

Mixed Plate.

Broiled Flank Steak (leftover)

Baked Chicken Thighs (leftover)

TJ's Hatch Chile Mac&Cheese

sauteed Zucchini with loads of garlic (leftover)

:yum:

Dessert will be Orange Jell-o with canned Mandarin orange segments, topped with Redi-Wip :pig:

I didn't realize "mixed plate" meant leftovers in Hawaiian, K-girl! So when we ordered it in restaurants on the islands, we were getting leftovers? Who knew?

I didn't realize "mixed plate" meant leftovers in Hawaiian, K-girl! So when we ordered it in restaurants on the islands, we were getting leftovers? Who knew?

dawg, "Mixed Plate" in Hawaii is more of a figure of speech I suppose.
A mish-mash, a little of this and a little of that. In a restaurant or take-out joint, you would have a choice of say any 2, or 3 or even 4 main dishes and then the ever present rice, mac salad or tossed green.
At someone's home its a different story though... at home if say you only had some leftovers of say 1 serving of chicken, 1 serving of fish and maybe 2 servings of hamburger steak and you're trying to feed 6 people (or more) you would serve just a little of each main to each family member along with sides... ergo, a Mixed Plate :chef:

dawg, "Mixed Plate" in Hawaii is more of a figure of speech I suppose.

A mish-mash, a little of this and a little of that. In a restaurant or take-out joint, you would have a choice of say any 2, or 3 or even 4 main dishes and then the ever present rice, mac salad or tossed green.

At someone's home its a different story though... at home if say you only had some leftovers of say 1 serving of chicken, 1 serving of fish and maybe 2 servings of hamburger steak and you're trying to feed 6 people (or more) you would serve just a little of each main to each family member along with sides... ergo, a Mixed Plate :chef:

Pleased you 'splained it, K-girl! We often ordered mixed plate at take-out joints and restaurants on the islands, and they always tasted good to me! Not like somebody's leftovers.

Last edited:
German here, too - although I didn't cook it. I went to a little local restaurant and this was one of the specials: Hasenpfeffer (rabbit), spaetzle, and their homemade sauerkraut. I don't eat carbs, but did have a few bites of the spaetzle.

img_1485587_0_57c49beca79fb3d295f4fca3e68f2d54.jpg

That looks just wonderful Steve! It would be a shame to not have had a few bites of the Spaetzle. How I miss it.
Our German Stew would have been perfect with it

Leftovers here - or as we call them, must-goes. I had the last of the pork tenderloin along with a large crown of fresh broccoli, Himself finished the mashed potatoes along with most of the pork and sauerkraut.

We went out for dinner to a co-worker of TB's. Her hubby is a trained chef as well and he did not disappoint:
- cream of asparagus soup with smoky bacon
- beef wellington with a short crust
- steamed (separately) carrots and halved Brussel sprouts
- creamy mashed potatoes with skins on
- homemade black forest cake with cherries soaked in sour cherry juice

Except for the veggies, nothing was "safe" for TB or I but we gleefully ate. I brought half of my wellington home and our hostess insisted we take some of the cake as well. It is much worse for TB so I will have to tough it out and eat it! LOL

There was another couple there from TB's work who I do know and all six of us got along very well. They told me that I get to make the next dinner to put my chef skills to the test. :ohmy:

That looks just wonderful Steve! It would be a shame to not have had a few bites of the Spaetzle. How I miss it.
Our German Stew would have been perfect with it
It was made even more tempting by the fact that it was served with melted Swiss cheese over the top. This was the way my grandmother always served it. I don't think I've ever had it that way in a restaurant, but it took me right back to my childhood.

Wow, lots of yummy German food last night! :yum: Looks wonderful.

I inventoried the door shelves and bottom inside shelf of our second fridge in the sunroom and was quite surprised by how much stuff I have in there :LOL: In order to eat through it, I won't be buying much food in the next couple of weeks, except for produce. And I have the top shelf, the small free-standing freezer, and the freezer from the kitchen fridge to inventory yet.

I found a couple boneless large chicken breasts and a pint of homemade marinara, plus, on a bookshelf in the kitchen, a pressure cooker cookbook from America's Test Kitchen I completely forgot I had!

So dinner last night was chicken braised in marinara sauce in the Instant Pot with homegrown garlic and basil, over rotini, with garden salads and no-knead bread. Good stuff.

Attachments

• 1477849284909.jpg
    1477849284909.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
That looks and sounds like a fabulous dinner GG.

You've inspired me to make Chicken Cacciatore today.

Thank you, Kay :) You're right - it's a lot like chicken cacciatore. I wish that had occurred to me last night; I would have added onion and bell peppers. I'll make a note of that in the cookbook for next time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom