What's cooking Saturday September 5, 2020?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Brunch was a mushroom and cheese omelette

cheese_mushroom_omelette_090520_IMG_7143.jpg

Dinner was homemade clam chowder (quick and easy)

clam_chowder_090520_IMG_7146.jpg

Very little energy today. We're having leftover Chinese takeout with a small salad of romaine, cucumbers and a ginger-sesame dressing I made last week. DH will pan-fry some frozen dumplings and I'll make a quick dipping sauce.

I had very little energy and less motivation. DH grilled some fresh chorizo sausages and some Polish sausage hot dogs. Served it with some of the bean salad I made yesterday, and various condiments, including sauerkraut. DH had his on hot dog buns. I skipped the buns and ate mine with a knife and fork.

Sounds like a bunch of us are running on empty today. I grocery shopped today; one of the stores was exceptionally annoying. I was glad we had leftovers. Trying to finish up everything not meatloaf.

IMG_20200905_193937364_HDR.jpg

Grilled marinated steak tips, toasted buttered egg noodles and steamed broccoli. Chocolate chip cookies for dessert!

31062265-9B27-4FBB-8F91-A6A32D5D00BD_1_105_c.jpg

The owner of the Mexican grocery/restaurant in town, that I give my extra chiles and red epazote to, gave me some delicious corn tortillas when I was in there Thursday. He told me that they were made with nixtamal, not the masa harina, like the usual ones are made with. Though the usual corn tortillas are delicious, these were even better. I made one simple filling with the squash blossoms I harvested yesterday - just some chopped up onion, green superchiles, and tomatoes, sautéed in some olive oil in that order. And I made another filling with okra and eggplant, with a chipotle sauce, made with some grilled tomatoes, garlic, and onion, blended smooth with the moritas, and cooked in the Instant Pot. Both were delicious, but the new tortillas were definitely the best.
Tortillas, made with nixtamal, instead of masa harina. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Taco filling, with squash blossoms, onion, tomato, and green chiles. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Looking at this photo I can see that at least one piece of squash blossom got into this batch of filling.
Okra, eggplant, and chipotle taco filling by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tacos made on the old corn tortillas, with queso fresco. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tacos made with new tortillas, made with nixtamal. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Very little energy today. We're having leftover Chinese takeout with a small salad of romaine, cucumbers and a ginger-sesame dressing I made last week. DH will pan-fry some frozen dumplings and I'll make a quick dipping sauce.
The salad dressing was older than I thought :ermm: So, plan B. The dumplings, dipping sauce and cucumber (dressed with soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil) were delicious. It's easy to disguise leftover Chinese food with a shower of sesame seeds [emoji16] Go Team! [emoji16]
20200905_201300.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom