What's cooking Sunday 11/22/15?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
We are having carrot soup and the test apple pie. I am signed up for two apple pies for Thanksgiving and I picked a lot of unknown varieties of apples this fall. The pie turned out good!

What are you fixing?

I had some anchovy fillets to use up (having used a couple in a recipe). I have an excellent recipe for a Marinara Sauce (to go with pasta) using anchovy fillets.

It's mostly a simple tomato sauce but with chopped anchovies that dissolve when simmered over about 30 mins. The taste is surprisingly full of flavour, savoury and worth making. I did a variation of it using celery, carrot and finely sliced cabbage. Had the sauce with spaghetti.

I made a taco salad minus the corn chips and beans.

The leftover taco meat will morph into a small two bowl pot of chili for tomorrow.

I'm blasting a pork tenderloin in the oven with some fresh asparagus, both marinated in TJ's Island Soyaki. Garlic toast for the SC.
I forgot about the Cole Slaw we made for the party yesterday that we saved for us. Good stuff, and I made it with Truvia instead of sugar. Couldn't tell the difference.

Last edited:
Pastitsada - a Greek dish with ground beef, onions, tomatoes, seasoned with cinnamon and nutmeg, served over pasta. Went to see the James Bond movie this wet afternoon, so made a dinner earlier that could be quickly heated after we got home.

We had liver and onions with roasted vegis and roasted potato wedges.

I wish they would learn to cut the liver into uniform thickness slices. I guess I'll have to find a real butcher and see if they can do it. The butcher at the local supermarket, when I lived in the country could do it by hand. He sliced partially frozen liver.

Grilled grass fed rib eyes my daughter and SIL gave me a couple of months ago, that I've been saving for a special occasion. That special occasion was today - my brother was here, and it was a perfect mid 70's day for grilling and an early dinner on the patio. We so enjoyed those tender rib eyes, baked potatoes with sour cream and chives, steamed broccoli, and biscuits. Very nice.

I made sloppy joes on party size crusty rolls. During the football game I munched on Carrot Stix and Rutabaga Stix. So far, so good. Until I add in that I ate a Whole Bowl of sour cream/ chilli/lime dip. Groan.

We had liver and onions with roasted vegis and roasted potato wedges.

I wish they would learn to cut the liver into uniform thickness slices. I guess I'll have to find a real butcher and see if they can do it. The butcher at the local supermarket, when I lived in the country could do it by hand. He sliced partially frozen liver.

I'm so hungry for perfectly sliced liver and onions Taxi! My Dad sliced it perfectly for his meat market. In fact, his test for hiring a good butcher was slicing unfrozen liver perfectly. Those were the days when skill got the job.

Grilled grass fed rib eyes my daughter and SIL gave me a couple of months ago, that I've been saving for a special occasion. That special occasion was today - my brother was here, and it was a perfect mid 70's day for grilling and an early dinner on the patio. We so enjoyed those tender rib eyes, baked potatoes with sour cream and chives, steamed broccoli, and biscuits. Very nice.

You know Cheryl, there's nothing more satisfying than sharing a delicious private meal and uninterrupted conversation with a loved one. Good on you both!

I'm blasting a pork tenderloin in the oven with some fresh asparagus, both marinated in TJ's Island Soyaki. Garlic toast for the SC.
I forgot about the Cole Slaw we made for the party yesterday that we saved for us. Good stuff, and I made it with Truvia instead of sugar. Couldn't tell the difference.

Ok, this turned out well with my new silicone pyramid mat! I drained the sesame seeds out of the marinade, and piled them on top before cooking.
400 "convection roast" setting...15 min. for the asparagus, and 20 minutes for the pork tenderloin.

img_1444905_0_5c439026a5c93c65419fca82724e684b.jpg

We are having carrot soup and the test apple pie. I am signed up for two apple pies for Thanksgiving and I picked a lot of unknown varieties of apples this fall. The pie turned out good!

What are you fixing?

As we were about to eat the pie, the electricity went out. After we finished we took a walk, power still out, then we took off in the car. Ended up at Baskin and Robbins. We both had the German Chocolate cake flavor in a waffle cone. We had dessert covered tonight!

I got off quite easy yesterday......my son had an early Thanksgiving get-together. 20lb turkey, 14lb ham, and way too many sides. Desserts galore......I gave up trying to sample the many pies when I couldn't get close to the serving table. His townhouse apartment was crammed with people. I've had family over for holiday dinners but nothing like the crowd he had. I did warn him he had his work cut out for him......he didn't do too bad on his first try with his GF helping.

He was disappointed when his garlic butter turned blue.....:ohmy:. In all the years I've been cooking I've never had that happen.....it was a pretty shade of blue, though....:huh:

I've heard of the blue garlic phenomenon but never seen it. I don't know the explanation but know it's harmless.

I got curious so I Googled. This Chowhound discussion is interesting. A poster going by the handle "maria lorraine" sounds like she knows what she is talking about. Anyone ever had garlic turn blue-green while cooking? - Chowhound

It seems to be an enzyme reaction and can turn garlic blue, green, or even purple. It can depend on the age of the garlic and the soil the garlic was grown in. Which colour it turns depends on which enzyme reaction occurs. Different enzymes make different colours.

According to this article Ask the Food Lab: Why Does My Garlic Turn Green? | Serious Eats, the Northern Chinese find the colour attractive and do it on purpose.

I should have asked him if he refrigerates his garlic......I think that can make a difference from what I've read. I've even used questionable garlic that has just begun to sprout with no discoloration......just doesn't have much flavor.

The kid's garlic did have a pretty color......:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom