What's cooking Sunday 11/6/2016?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
DD said she is making roasted chicken, asparagus, and whipped taters with pan gravy.

DD said she is making roasted chicken, asparagus, and whipped taters with pan gravy.

That's sweet of her to do that.

I have to clean up the kitchen. Took yesterday off completely, except to help Mr.Munky. The dishes have really piled up.

My guys really over bought Johnsonville Sausages at Costco.
I'll be making a pot of this.They loved the last modified batch I made.

MVP Chili - Johnsonville.com

Modifications: Dennisons Chili,No beer.Beef stock instead. No black beans,Tomato sauce to replace the crushed tomatoes.Called it a day.

While out finishing up a job on a boat that he couldn't get done yesterday because of too much heat in the engine room, Craig ran into a business acquaintance and he got "gifted" with the remains from a yacht crew party, which included an abalone, which we'll make fritters out of later, smoked almond, a case of some kind of microbrew beer, apparently decent stuff, not my thing though, and pantry items used to cook all but the 1 abalone.

So, we were going to have churrasco meat tacos tonight but since we've not got the smoked almonds and a good bit of leftover blue cheese, we are making Grilled Skirt Steak Sliders with Smoked Almond Romesco | Almond Board of California for dinner. Maybe homemade fries or chips with them.

Yesterday I heavily coated a small boneless pork loin roast with garlic salt and herbes de province. Wrapped up in plastic wrap to get nice and flavoricous. Will roast roast it later.

Have no idea what sides will be. Forgot to get some sweet potatoes at the market last week.

Dessert will be the last of our wedding/anniversary cake, then we'll have to wait another year to enjoy it again.

Slow cooker chicken cacciatore, using boneless chicken thighs, served over pasta. I'll be using my new Cuisinart multi cooker so I can brown the chicken and sweat the veggies before switching to slow cook (and not have to clean another pan). Roasted broc on the side.

I'm making something I haven't done in a loooong time. My kids loved it growing up and I always called it Sherried Beef. I knew next to nothing about cooking with wine in those days so this was close to "exotic" for me. It smells just like I remember. I'll post the recipe if anyone is interested.

I kind of splurged at R & J Farm when I reserved my Thanksgiving turkey, and bought a 2 1/2 pound sirloin. They also raise their own beef. It cost about $15, but it looked so lovely.

It is thawed out now, and I think, 'cause it is such a good cut of beef, I'm going to go simple and bake it in the dutch oven with onions potatoes, a little salt and pepper, and maybe some dill, just because I have some fresh dill hanging about that needs to be used. I have some carrots I canned, onions and potatoes from stock, and there is some kale and one tomato left to make a salad. Basically Irish oven dinner.

Think I'm gonna sear the roast first with some butter and garlic, add those to the stock in the pan and make a gravy with a tbsp or so of corn starch.

What you all think?

TBS

I kind of splurged at R & J Farm when I reserved my Thanksgiving turkey, and bought a 2 1/2 pound sirloin. They also raise their own beef. It cost about $15, but it looked so lovely.

It is thawed out now, and I think, 'cause it is such a good cut of beef, I'm going to go simple and bake it in the dutch oven with onions potatoes, a little salt and pepper, and maybe some dill, just because I have some fresh dill hanging about that needs to be used. I have some carrots I canned, onions and potatoes from stock, and there is some kale and one tomato left to make a salad. Basically Irish oven dinner.

Think I'm gonna sear the roast first with some butter and garlic, add those to the stock in the pan and make a gravy with a tbsp or so of corn starch.

What you all think?

TBS

Hi Fox. :) You're liable to get several differing opinions on this, but since you asked - if it were me, I would dry roast the sirloin on a rack, (uncovered) in a preheated 450 oven for about 10 minutes, then lower the heat to about 325 to finish cooking. It shouldn't take much more than about 25 minutes or so to finish cooking. Remove from oven at about 130 or a little less, let rest, and let carry over cooking bring it up a few more degrees. Sirloin roasts should be no more than med rare or it's likely to be tough.

You're talking more about a pot roast with veggies method, for that I would use a fattier chuck roast.

Last edited:
I really need to use up some veggies - I overbought. I just roasted a couple of chicken thighs sprinkled with Penzey's garlic powder, onion powder, and the usual Kosher salt and cracked black pepper. I'll have one of the thighs for this evening's dinner, along with a medley of roasted broccoli, cauliflower, and asparagus. That should put a good dent in the veggie bin.

... What you all think?

It sounds like a good plan, except that I don't usually sear in butter because, with the milk solids, it can burn at searing temperatures. Garlic *definitely* would burn. I would sear in oil, add garlic for about 30 seconds just before adding the liquid, and melt in some butter right before making the gravy.

I felt like having steak, so I picked up a New York strip in the manager's special section. I'll sear it in my cast-iron skillet and serve it with leftover mashed potatoes and gravy and garden salads.

I also have a loaf of no-knead bread that's about ready to go into the oven.

Fox, try reverse sear. Roast the meat at 200F to an internal temp of 118-120F then rest for 30 min and sear over very hot grill or skillet for a minute or so each side.

My friend, Lisa, And I are going to start our own diet group after Jan 1st so we can support each other through weight loss (of lack thereof). Anyway, we've been taking time off the dollhouses on Sunday to just try cooking together. Today's meal wasn't exactly low-cal and it wasn't exactly dinner, but it was the main meal of the day.

We made balsamic BBQ sauce over chicken, boursin cheese and buttermilk mashed potatoes (with a little bacon thrown in) and some cheddar bay garlic biscuits. This was all in my tiny kitchen, by the way. That was at about 3pm.

The balsamic BBQ sauce came out a little too tart but still good, the potatoes were to die for, and it's now 7pm and I am polishing off the rest of the biscuits.

Himself's birthday is today, November 7th, as I type. We got a jump-start on celebrating by stopping at Bahama Breeze for their late night (8-10PM) half-price apps and drink specials. He had a Mojita Cubano, I had an Ultimate Pina Colada (each $5 and worth every slurp!) and we split three apps: Key West Nachos, Chicken Quesadilla, and Skillet Simmered Jerk Shrimp. Had the nachos and quesadilla there, ended up bringing the shrimp back with us. Good thing, too, because the spice was SO spicy I started to cough really bad! But it was SOOO good! :yum: Good thing we bought milk yesterday.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom