What's Cooking? Thursday, January 8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
It finally got cold (for us) here. Overnight low was 24° and it's not going to get batter today or tomorrow. The humidity at my desk is 22%.

I'm about to start a pot of split soup and start soaking some butterbeans to cook tomorrow.

Split peas cook fairly quickly, so I'm looking for something else to make that will cook a long time, just trying to get that humidity up some.

What's cooking at your place?

Steamed Saffron Chicken.

It was luverly.

Basically wack some butter and saffron between skin and breast, steam on plate in a wok. Remove from wok, spread more butter, saffron and cumin seed over the chicken and bake in hot oven for 10 minutes or so to brown it up.

I made some gravy/sauce from the melted butter in cavity of chicken and from the plate. (I used a metal pie dish to capture more of the juices). Did some veg and roast taters with it.

Going to have a dessert of home made strawberry ice cream and mixed fruit.

I have a piece of boneless pork loin defrosting. It'll be roast pork with a starch and a veggie for dinner tonight. Also looking forward to leftover pork roast for Cuban sandwiches later in the week.

I'm going to combine three items and call it dinner; some leftover cheesy green chile mashed potatoes, cube up some smoked turkey and make up a packet of turkey gravy. Oh, I will try to incorporate some swiss chard leaves in there too.

Dinner is an exact repeat from yesterday - "Baked Mostacciola with Italian sausage found in the freezer (yay), spiffed up jarred sauce. Green beans to go with, cuz that's what there is. "

The mostacciola could have used some mushrooms or sliced zukes or something to zip it up a little bit, but it certainly turned out good.

I have a quart of chicken tortilla soup in the freezer just waiting to be jazzed up with some Velveeta, lime juice and cilantro. It's 61 degrees in the house downstairs so I don't feel like spending a lot of time down there.

I'm trying to decide if it will be a Vietnamese-influenced cod soup or seafood chowder....I made the stock for each, now I just have to decide which stock to freeze and which to use now.

Whiska, maybe a little salad with vinaigrette on the side would spark up the mostaccioli some.

Salad, I totally agree GG. Yesterday it was minus 10 F with heavy winds. Didn't want to even open the door let alone go to the store. Today, little warmer but not much. I scrounged one pepperoncini in the bottom of a jar and a handful Mediterranean olives. I like garlic bread to go with too. So there, I saved some calories :LOL:.

Funny, I've been craving El Pollo Loco. Haven't been to one in about 10 years. Loved their chicken, too.

Tonight's dinner will be some TJ's sliced and breaded eggplant and a loaded up salad. Mint chocolate chip ice cream for dessert.

We cleaned out some leftovers in preparation for grocery shopping tomorrow. Himself finished off the last little bit of chili, then had some pork roast with sauerkraut and mashed potatoes. I had a bowl of creamy chicken and wild rice soup. :yum: Then I had another bowl. :LOL:

Since I didn't have to spend any time making supper I baked a pie. Apple.

We had a sort of wilted spinach, chicken salad with warm bacon dressing and crumbled gorgonzola.

Back
Top Bottom