What's cooking Tuesday January 5, 2010?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
shell steak sides undecided yet.

what about you?

I have absolutely no idea.

DH is off today so it can be a regular dinner. However, he has got to pick up the new dishwasher and hopes to have it installed today. As well, he wants to mud the ceiling so I can paint.

So I am thinking A&W, Swiss Chalet, or something that can go from freezer to Microwave. I'll get back to you!

Jumbo Fried Swimps
Cheese Grits with a hint of Garlic....
Green Salad with Caper Dressing.....
Bread.........
Chocolate Ice Cream....and 1 or 2 Chocolate Covered Cherries...If I can find
them...My Wife hid them from me...:(

:LOL:

Seriously!! :cool:

DH has requested piccata done with chicken cutlets,garlic mashed potatoes,
cauliflower with butter and a sprinkle of parmesan, I'm going to make a small salad of spinach,grape tomatoes,avocado and red onion dress it with lemon,evoo and honey,as far as dessert he gets the last piece of the apple crostada.
kadesma:angel:

I'm thawing a pork tenderloin that I want to stuff with something and pan roast. Don't know about a side to go with that yet.

Updates Goulash

New here. Seems like a really neat idea socializing food this way.

Tonight:

My Mom used to make American style goulash - with the ground beef, beef cube and elbow noodles. I used to love how it smelled, but always thought the taste was watered down and dreaded goulash night. Now that I am grown I have made authentic goulash many times which has a more robust flavor. It is really good, but different than what Mom used to make. Tonight I am going to attempt to cross the two. So I still get the homey simple flavors punched up with a lot of richness and background. We'll see how it goes. It is about -5 with the windchill here and the house is all mine - husband and son are away. I am tired of cereal. And this sounds like nostalgia - of sorts - in a bowl.

Think I will start with browning the beef (or in this case ground bison) with onion and a little red pepper. Add three cloves of minced fresh garlic, 1 heaping Tablespoon Hungarian paprika, 1 teaspoon kosher salt and half that of black pepper. Add some fire roasted crushed tomatoes and maybe a little tomato paste for depth. Thin it out with beef stock and let it simmer for a while. Then add my noodles - elbow of course. If it still needs a kick I will throw in some adobo sauce for a slight smoky flavor or a little cayenne for heat - not traditional, but I like it in weather like this. Maybe a little powdered garlic because the flavor is different than fresh and gives some backbone to a dish. Finish it off with minced fresh parsley.

That is probably what I am doing tonight. Good luck everyone. Nothing like the empty pot staring you in the face. Worse than a blank page sometimes.

Lisa

That is probably what I am doing tonight. Good luck everyone. Nothing like the empty pot staring you in the face. Worse than a blank page sometimes.

Lisa

Oh my. I know that feeling well. Come in from a long day and realize you haven't put anything out for dinner and have to be creative. BAH!

Well, I HAD time to prep, but I just found out we have to be somewhere in an hour and a half, my husband won't be home for 2.5 hours so its a catch as you can night. Sigh. Think I might root through the freezer for something easy or pick up a deli chicken. I'm in lazy mode.

Last edited:
I'm thawing a pork tenderloin that I want to stuff with something and pan roast. Don't know about a side to go with that yet.

I made a stuffing out of a little Gruyere, Craisins macerated in marsala wine, walnuts, shallots and garlic.

We had lentil soup, bread and butter and apple dumplings. This cold weather is really not funny. We've never had so many days of freezing temps. The bird bath stayed frozen all day.

Cheese tortellini tossed with sautéed garlic, brown butter and Parmigiano-Romano.

Shrimp with beansprouts sauteed in garlic, ginger, white wine, soy sauce, etc. Brown rice and sauteed asparagus on the side.

Shell steak, tomato and mozzarella (dressed with olive oil, salt, pepper, herbs and spices) and homemade rice/roni (chopped onion, fresh chopped mushrooms sauted in butter, uncooked jasmine rice and broken angel hair pasta added and browned, beef broth added. simmered till tender).

img_869808_0_1e932c251888d55a7a2775e89301d04c.jpg

img_869808_1_7bf02338eca3d6db0c1622d43a8adc0d.jpg

img_869808_2_054c9309f496f9699ec078b9c9793899.jpg

img_869808_3_fd33d2e549928f282536430dd979aebe.jpg

msmofet you do realize I gain three pounds every time I read one of your posts with pics.

Our dinner was going to be scalloped ham and potatoes from scratch. Then I thought (fleetingly) of using packaged potatoes. Finally threw my hands up and made home fries with onion and a ham and cheese omelet. Good thing hubby is easy to feed.;)

The Husband and kids had chili dogs, fries and brown sugar baked beans. It had to be easy because The husband had to do the cooking tonight while I was at a girl scout troop planning meeting. I had some simply asia noodles when I got home, spicy kung pao flavor.

Well, the dishwasher is still lying on the floor, the sink is in the living room, the counter top is in the hall and the dining table is covered in tupperware.

Lunch was A&W, supper was Costco hot dogs and since I took DH to the ER with a minor cut in his eye this evening and doctor's orders were for rest for the remainder of the week, we will be eating this way for awhile. What is most important is that he is okay (I will spare the details of what happened).

msmofet you do realize I gain three pounds every time I read one of your posts with pics.

Our dinner was going to be scalloped ham and potatoes from scratch. Then I thought (fleetingly) of using packaged potatoes. Finally threw my hands up and made home fries with onion and a ham and cheese omelet. Good thing hubby is easy to feed.;)
:LOL::LOL: so sorry!! glad you like them. your dinner sounds yummy!! breakfast for dinner!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom