What's cooking Wednesday January 6, 2010?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
i am not sure yet except i need to use 1 tomato. what about you?

I found a 2-1/2 lb. pack of 4-6 oz. sirloin steaks marked down to $5.00, so one of those with a simple iceberg lettuce salad and glazed carrots should be fine for today.

Having folks over, need to streeetch the food we have as I don't have time to shop. Going to try a new lemony chicken recipe tonight. It looks easy and lovely. I was going to do either the bourbon cream chicken or a tarragon cream chicken but I have a lactose intolerant coming for dinner so thats out.

Can't decide whether to serve this with a pasta so folks can use the lemony goodness as a sauce or to serve a lovely rice blend that stands on its own. Also going to serve a killer coleslaw (nice crunchy bits and light herbal dressing to complement the chicken), and the cooked veggie is yet to be decided. I will likely decide after I choose the carb. I hate having a monochromatic plate.

I need to think of a fast dessert to bake. I get home around 3 and will need it done by 4-430 so I can put the rest of the dinner in the oven. Help anyone?

Alix, how about brownies??? my favorite recipe is from the King Arthur cookbook, but I think it is a common type recipe.

I just cut some partially frozen deer tenderloin and am marinateing it in a bulgogi recipe....will serve it with brown rice.

Good thought beth! I can do up a batch of brownies and those that want a blob of ice cream on top can have it! YAY! Thanks for the inspiration.

i want malt vinegar so maybe boiled baby taters & sprinkling of a seasalt. the meat i'm undecided on. probably tilapia & orange zest, garlic, juice, worcestershire glaze.....
a veggie if i'm ambitious. likely a salad & either walnut or macadamia vinagrette.

GF, I keep intending to do that to cauliflower but forget. Tell me just how you do it - like mashed potatoes, any tips?

I will be breaking up the cauliflower, spraying some olive oil on it, smearing it with some smashed garlic, sprinkling a bit of garlic powder, seasoning salt and nutmeg on it, then wrapping it in foil and sticking it in the oven for 30 minutes at 375... or until nice and soft. I usually grill it till its a bit charred, then oven it, but am out of gas....
THen I will be smooshing it up, adding a bit of milk, 1/4 cup of mashed tater flakes,
a pat of butter and some salt and pepper.

I invited a friend out for lunch and we chose Dixie Cafe (a small mid-western chain - better than average decor, but...)

The food was gross! Chicken fried steak that was dry and overcooked; Seasoned Fries that didn't know whether they wanted to be shoe strings or regular sized fries and had no seasoning; Cole Slaw with massive chunks of carrot; And Meat Loaf with the meat reduced to a pate paste! At first, I thought I was eating meat baby food! And it had NO flavor. (sigh)

Throwing in the jalapeno cornbread biscuits, the entire meal was a major disappointment, and may even give me nightmares!

The best thing they serve is ice water.

We had my version of maypo oatmeal for dinner (oats cooked with brown sugar and raisins, topped with 1/2 &1/2, a pat of butter and maple syrup).
I also added a grind of cinnamon on mine.

img_869952_0_cf31e77c4b5d7f7bd498edc33daf084a.jpg

:clap:Yay!!!! on many levels!

Hubby's eye is much better, the dishwasher is in and and working, and we are going out for dinner at a local "home cooking" restaurant in about 20 minutes!!! I am thinking towards a pulled pork sandwich....though fish and chips or pasta sound good too.

Oh, next project? The new sink, taps and countertop number 1. Hopefully no more hospital visits tonight!:)

:clap:Yay!!!! on many levels!

Hubby's eye is much better, the dishwasher is in and and working, and we are going out for dinner at a local "home cooking" restaurant in about 20 minutes!!! I am thinking towards a pulled pork sandwich....though fish and chips or pasta sound good too.

Oh, next project? The new sink, taps and countertop number 1. Hopefully no more hospital visits tonight!:)
congrats LP!!

Thanks, Ms. M.

Supper was wonderful. I had "Farmer's Fettuccine". Fettuccine in a cream sauce with mushrooms and excellent farmer's sausage and baked with a layer of shredded Parmesan. I have enough for lunch tomorrow. Dad had a wiener schnitzel with mashed potatoes and gravy, and DH had a huge ham dinner with honey mustard sauce and onions, roasted potatoes and veggies. We were all stuffed!

I am enjoying all this food out but can't wait until I can get back into my "new" kitchen and cook again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom