What's doin' for the 4th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A bunch of us expats are getting together for a potluck. Most of the "gringos" who hang out here in Bucerias are Canadians, and they all go back to Canada for the hot, humid summer. Those of us who can't afford to maintain two households live here all year, and really enjoy the long ,hot, quiet, tourist-free summer. There will probably be 25-30 of us - grilling hot dogs; I made potato salad and brownies. Lots of people bringing other good stuff. No fireworks, but I think one of our friends has some sparklers stashed away.

Nothing special. Just hubby , me and hubby's friend. Probably have Hot dogs and/or burgers, left over potato salad, tortilla chips with dip.

what's everyone else drinking?

I intend to drink L.A., Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Fran, Napa, Sonoma, and as many areas in between DRY! I will, of course, be on a quest for bubbly! :mrgreen:

If all goes well there will be a jkath "siting" :cool: I hate when things are so up in the air with only hours until departure. Sorry jkath - I just don't know yet.

mozart said:
as drunk proof as hot dogs
- I WILL be using that phrase in the future :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:

I am driving my cousin back to the airport, a 4+ hour drive round trip. Dh is working, he received the plans for a large project on Wednesday and needs to prepare the estimate ASAP, seeing he is leaving soon on a week long motorcycle trip with his brother. Probably leftovers when anyone gets home...

I intend to drink L.A., Santa Barbara, Monterey, San Fran, Napa, Sonoma, and as many areas in between DRY! I will, of course, be on a quest for bubbly! :mrgreen:

If all goes well there will be a jkath "siting" :cool: I hate when things are so up in the air with only hours until departure. Sorry jkath - I just don't know yet.

have fun. a jkath siting?? :LOL: you're gonna need a fast truck and good, high speed camera to get a decent shot, with all of the vacuuming and shuttling boys about, in blinding white pearls and pumps... :)

umm, yt, ain't you a redcoat? what are you celebrating with fireworks? the ridding of us macaronis?

I have to work...the ONLY holiday the Firm has a function on, grrrr...expecting 1000 people, so it should be fun.

We are on f and 12th NW, and the event is on the roof top, looking right at the Washington Monument, so we couldn't ask for better seats for the show! I just hope the rain holds off...

I'm making potato salad to take to a cookout this evening, then doing voter registration at a farmer's market event, then going to the cookout, then shooting off fireworks that someone bought in S.C. (which I think are illegal in Virginia) at the Va Beach oceanfront. Happy Independence Day, everyone!

Tatt I think working that event would be worth those firework seats!!!
What a cool place to watch 'em!!!

I, too, have to work. The 4th is THE biggest day of the year for us. We're expecting anywhere from 600 - 1K people. I'll eat at work. Not sure what PeppA has planned for the kids. We lit the majority of the fireworks off last night. There are a few more left that she will light off tonight.

That said, I desperately need to get my lazy rear OFF the pc and get caught up on the dishes, assemble the new lawn mower (second one in a month), and try to get some grass cut before the landlord sees the yard. I want to get some fishing in as well. There's at least one spot I want to try. Hopefully there's some decent catfish in there (one of those recently produced a 55 lb Flathead catfish).

Looks like rain, then the sun comes out. I'm just about to get the smoker going.

Since we're heading into the city after we eat, I don't expect to be drinking any hard liquor during the afternoon. I have a few Sam Adams and even more coronas in the outside fridge.

I'm pretty sure they'll do the fireworks rain or shine, what with it being televised and all....

Be safe and happy everyone. Cook well, drink well, and laugh often.

We've got rain. Suppose to clear a bit by afternoon. Earl is going to move the Airstream out of it's shelter just in case. We are still go to go. Have fun VB in the city. Wish we could have something like that close. We are going to watch the fireworks next Sat over the Hudson.

Going to my brother's for supper at 4:30. We're all to bring our own meat to grill and a dish. I'm bringing mac n cheese corn casserole and a chocolate mousse pie, plus our chicken tenders and beer. Then, at 6 is the parade, and later on the fireworks!

Well, VB... gonna chill a bit. Then make some potato salad. Need to make a batch of chicken stock, so I will do that. Grate some cheddar cheese and store that. For dinner, I have a bone in grass fed rib-eye for hubby and I to share. And I see I have some basil ripe so may whip up some pesto.... not sure what else. Still mulling it over!

Happy 4th everyone! Be safe!!!

Dog sitting for a friend and taking both the puppers down to my sisters house. Gonna take them to a huge enclosed dog park to let them run around and get super tired. Then back to hers for BBQ and chillin in the back yard. Then I'm gonna stay with the pups while my sis & brother in law go watch fireworks. My doggy freaks out so I stay with her and keep her company. :)

Happy 4th to everyone!

This will be the first time in a year that DH feels like cooking out, because of various medical problems. He's making a bone-in rib eye for us to share. We will have potato salad, corn on the cob, cucumber salad, baked beans with it.
For dessert, leftover chocolate cake and ice cream.

I just got back from a nice 5 hour bike ride through rural PA and Amish country. Very scenic with the rolling farmlands and mountains. People out sitting in lawn chairs chatting and watching time go by, or in this case me, as traffic was very light :), playing badmiton at one house, croquet at the next. Seeing twenty cars parked in a big lawn knowing that a party was commencing. Saw a wild turkey up close and personal as he ran across the road in front of me. The only thing I missed that would have complimented this perfect day was nobody had their grill fired up. A little BBQ smoke in the air would have been nice. Had to make do with horse poop :wacko:
I miss family picnics.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom