What's for din-din? Sat, Jan 24th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve Kroll

Wine Guy
We're headed out to our dinner club party in a few minutes. Tonight's theme is "south of the border" and I'm in charge of the appetizer round. I made a Ceviche of Shrimp and Sea Bass, Bacon and Roasted Tomatillo Guacamole, and a tomato-less salsa from dried guajillo and arbole chiles.

The invitation didn't specify which border, so I hope I chose the right one. ;)

Sounds good, Steve.

Kind of a southwestern theme going on here, too. Black bean and corn salad with avocados, and pulled pork tacos.

We have enough Thai takeout leftovers to last us for a couple more days.

I'm a short order cook in my house. I made my husband a nice steak with potatoes that I cooked in the pan after I took the steak out. Red Wine, butter, spices.

I made my favorite go to cole slaw recipe. Broccoli slaw from the store, lemon yogurt, lemon juice, mayo, raisins, and sun flower seeds. I also made my favorite kind of Turkey burgers (greek with feta, kalmata, and sundried tomatoes in oil, other misc stuff). I had one of the turkey burgers to go with the slaw.

A cook’s best friend: Parsley. Brightens up today’s spelunked Beef Stew. Shredded cabbage salad with grapes and home-made blue cheese dressing. A handful of grapes for evening treat later.

So for some reason a made a ton of french onion soup yesterday, we had some for lunch and still have a gallon left, lol...

So for dinner I made some fresh croutons {is that an oxymoron} the size of my bowls, shredded some boars head lacey swiss, and since I had to clean my slicer anyway I sliced some sirloin nice and thin then cooked it in a pan with some mushrooms and butter, removed the shaved steak and made what was left in the pan into a fast sauce...

So I know its weird but we had a cheesy french onion soup with some shaved steak, it was good..

Also I broke open a bottle of home made ginger ale {we bought last week at a local show}, the kids loved it I thought it was a bit too sweet and way too poppy...

Sounds good, Steve.

Kind of a southwestern theme going on here, too. Black bean and corn salad with avocados, and pulled pork tacos.

Yummy. :yum: I'm stuffed, but not too full for ice cream here in a few. :)

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 198
Dangit, Cheryl, you had to mention ice cream. We don't have any ice cream. :mad:

Your dinner looks lovely, BTW.

Last edited:
Good looking food, Cheryl.

We were a bit League of Nations tonight. Italian-inspired salad with salami, Pecorino Romano, olives, peppers and tomatoes. Asian-style chicken soup with snow peas, carrots, mushrooms, scallions, ginger and garlic, plus a few other things. Then plain, ol' American toasted sandwiches of ham and turkey, with provolone and sharp cheeses. A little of my sandwich spread, a leaf or two of lettuce. And, we're out of ice cream. :(

Dangit, Cheryl, you had to mention ice cream. We don't have any ice cream. :mad:

You need to get a cuisinart ice cream machine, we also have a lello but the ice100 is much better and a lot easier to clean, I wish I bought it first because there is a big price difference...

We can make ice cream anytime, it takes about 50 minutes from milk to edible ice cream, depending on how much water, like a creamy chocolate or vanilla will take the full 50 minutes, but a strawberry will take half that, and if I use almond milk and coconut it can be hard and churned in less than 20 nothing to prefreeze or add ice to, just dump in the ingredients and push start...

heres a picture of a VERY rich vanilla we make, all natural, it comes very rich and fluffy, then the kids add all the bad stuff to it after... The machine makes that tupperware tub full in one batch, that night the kids had friends over and there was not much left, lol..
img_1407519_0_326a4f494b3d289fd7baf7ff698f4c1b.jpg

Last edited:
Some of us don't have enough cupboard space for all those toys, C4to. ;) Besides, if it isn't around, I can't eat it. Best ice cream we've ever had is about 625 miles from our house. Not much chance of us hopping in the car to get a scoop!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom