What's For Dinner 03/17/10

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

getoutamykitchen

Master Chef
Happy St. Patrick's Day everyone!
Since I ate cabbage with my dinner last night and I don't care for corned beef, tonight I'm having the only thing green I can make with what I have on hand.

Tonight it's Cream of Broccoli soup.

What's everyone else eating tonight?

Chicken. I'm going to pan roast a couple of breast halves. I'll make a quesadilla for myself and SO will have some lo-carb combo with a veggie or two.

Corned beef, except instead of the yada, yada, yada I will serve green salad and panfries....that is if DH gets home in time to help with the potatoes as I am extremely out of breath these days. Otherwise it will be corned beef (already on) and green salad.

Since I like to defy convention I was going to make a turkey tenderloin with home-made pan stuffing and green beans that my DH paid $2.99!:ohmy: a pound for (he had a taste for them...he SO can't pick out beans...:(). Yeah...heading to the corner now to pick up the corned beef. Tradition is winning out over rebellion. It will be heavy on the carrots (my favorite part) and rye bread (try it soaked on the plate with the juice...heaven!)

Corned beef, except instead of the yada, yada, yada I will serve green salad and panfries....that is if DH gets home in time to help with the potatoes as I am extremely out of breath these days. Otherwise it will be corned beef (already on) and green salad.
Laurie,
how do you do your pan fries? Could you just wash, cut put in the oven with salt, pepper and evoo instead? You'd still have potatoes to go with the corned beef..
I've been thinking of you Please take care my friend..
cj

Laurie,
how do you do your pan fries? I've been thinking of you. Please take care my friend..
cj

Thanks CJ,
Pan Fries (at least that is what our family has always called them) are a favourite and I haven't made the for awhile (plus Dad and DH aren't thrilled with the traditional boiled carrots and potatoes with the Irish Boiled Dinner. I slice them paper thin on my mandolin and pat the starch and water out of them. Then I put some evoo in a frying pan and layer the potatoes in rounds in the heated oil with a little S&P between layers. You let them cook brown and then turn sections over and do the other side. They get crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They are similar to Pommes Anna if you made a huge one and broke it in pieces :LOL:,

The tough part for me is the cutting of them as I am so out of breath. But DH called and is on his way home so he will look after the potatoes. He has just been wonderful through all this.

Thanks CJ,
Pan Fries (at least that is what our family has always called them) are a favourite and I haven't made the for awhile (plus Dad and DH aren't thrilled with the traditional boiled carrots and potatoes with the Irish Boiled Dinner. I slice them paper thin on my mandolin and pat the starch and water out of them. Then I put some evoo in a frying pan and layer the potatoes in rounds in the heated oil with a little S&P between layers. You let them cook brown and then turn sections over and do the other side. They get crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. They are similar to Pommes Anna if you made a huge one and broke it in pieces :LOL:,

The tough part for me is the cutting of them as I am so out of breath. But DH called and is on his way home so he will look after the potatoes. He has just been wonderful through all this.
Oh Laurie they sound wonderful..The mandolin is comming out and we are going to make some this weekend. I understand about the shortness of breath, I wake up with it now..Seems to be anxiety and I have to get up and either get on here or watch TV to get my mind busy on something else..It is really a pain and so scary...But at least I can overcome it. Take care and Hugs to Dad abd DH.
and of course the biggest one to you.
cj

I used left over Chicken Katsu (Japanesse Chicken Cutlet) to make a Sandwich.

4441468333_511f24e781_b.jpg

Slow braised corned beef brisket. I'm not fond of boiled/braised cabbage, so Brussells sprouts added with the usual roots, served over baked potatoes. The brisket is grand already, just waiting on the veg.

At 79 cents a lb. (at Von's) we are making pigs of ourselves on fresh asparagus.
I snap off the ends at the breaking point, and throw them on a large cookie sheet.
Drizzle good olive oil on them and sprinkle with garlic powder, kosher salt. Roast in the oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, shake the pan half way through the cooking.
Husband had a grilled chicken breast, but I was happy with just the asparagus.
Delish!!

When I ran to the store they had a different brand of corned beef. Bought two anyway. Cooked the small one...sure hope the store will take the other back. Absolutely NO flavor! None! Not even salty tasting...when you think of salting your corned beef you know something is wrong. Different dinner tomorrow...and tomorrow IS another day.:)

We had 20 people for dinner so we went big. My MIL did corned beef, boiled cabbage, carrots, potatoes and a cottage roll. I did 6 lbs of slow Irish Ale braised pork belly( a once a year treat as I could feel my cholesterol rising as I ate every fatty wonderful bite) and braised red cabbage in red wine

Hi Gang!
waving2.gif

Sorry I haven't been around for about a week. I didn't get my rear in gear the night before to have corned beef and cabbage, but this was our dinner.... Cornflake chicken with mashed taters/gravy and broccoli.

img_884989_1_d12f68ad48cc184dc6b8539657d9235a.jpg
img_884989_2_697a7a5fde63d472ca5fd36fca5d68fe.jpg

Well, we've had dinner for some friends.......started with some real guacamole dip(acutally found some avocados that were soft instead of registered lethal weapons) with some tortilla chips (crisps here), they loved it and the bowl was gone in about 10 minutes...(methinks that they ate very little or no lunch).....then we moved on to some Thai soup, tom yum goong (sweet and sour Shrimp soup) which had a zip to it without taking your outer edpidermis with it and LOTS of lit, and then some wonderul stirfried chicken with basil that also had a "zip" to it..........as a side accompaniment I had jamine rice and a bowl of chopped fresh birds eye chilies in fish sauce if they wanted to increase the hot factor which they did.......there were NO leftovers.....thank goodness as the fridge they give you in the UK are the little bitty ones and we wouldn't have had room anyway.........and of course I served fresh raspberry cheesecake.....ok.........a bit of a white lie though it was fresh-tasting.......I did not make it.......but it was devoured just like everything else......nothing makes cooking more fun than.. putting food on the table and seeing it disappear...I love cooking for others

Back
Top Bottom