what's for dinner 1/14, Saturday

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEFSElover

Executive Chef
happy Saturday........

beef stroganoff
buttered noodles
creamed peas with baby pearl onions
Waldorf salad (apples, walnuts, celery, mayo, s&p)
popovers with lemon butter
Tuscan wine
iced water
Meltaway Petit Fours
(having friends for dinner)

Who else is cooking?

texasgirl said:
PIZZA!! IF I can make the dough right. :eek:)

Recipe from Indigo's Old Italian cookbook, circa 1962
paperback and falling apart, well overused
Pizza Dough

8-12 oz lukewarm water
1 T active dry yeast
2 1/2-3 C flour +you'll need to dust on counter
1 t salt
4 grinds fresh black pepper
2 t honey
2 1/2 T olive oil + more for brushing over top of dough before adding toppings

Put water in measuring cup, stir in yeast using wooden spoon, stir to dissolve. Let it proof about 10 minutes for the bubbles to form.
In a large sized bowl add the flour, salt and pepper. Stir. In the yeast water add honey and olive oil. Stir that together then slowly start adding the wet mix to the dry. This is where you'll know if you need more of the water mix or not. You want a soft dough, not to stiff. Put the dough on a lightly floured counter surface and knead it until it is totally combined and feels like a baby's bum, about 8-10 minutes. Oil a large bowl on the bottom with 1 T olive oil, put in the dough and turn it several times to coat with oil. Cover with tea towel and place in a warm spot in the kitchen where there is no draft. Let it double in size. This takes about 1 1/2-2 hours. When doubled, sock your fist down in the dough to deflate and take out of bowl. Knead it 2 minutes longer then cut into 4= sized portions. Let it rest covered with a tea towel. You may freeze or refrigerate portions not used, for later use.
Flatten out the piece you're using with your hands to form flat round. Using a rolling pin, roll it out to size of your pizza pan. Place in the pan and use your finger tips to gently push the dough into place. Drizzle a small amount of oil on the dough and rub it on or brush it on with a pastry brush. Top with your favorite ingredients and bake in your preheated 450° oven until done and cheese is melted. 8-10 minutes approximately.

We had pizza on Thursday so tonight we'll be having baked penne in a tomato cream sauce with chicken, spinach, mushrooms, mozz and parm. With a big salad-greens with tomato, avo, cukes, mandarin oranges, gorganzola, pecans, carrots & homemade rosemary croutons! Can you tell I'm excited about dinner? I've been planning to make this for the past week, on a night when dh is home. Should be tasty!

Pizza, for pizza night, have the crusta going, bought DH his Italian meats for his and picked up some leeks to put into the 4 onion topping..Should be good:LOL:

kadesma

corazon90 said:
We had pizza on Thursday so tonight we'll be having baked penne in a tomato cream sauce with chicken, spinach, mushrooms, mozz and parm. With a big salad-greens with tomato, avo, cukes, mandarin oranges, gorganzola, pecans, carrots & homemade rosemary croutons! Can you tell I'm excited about dinner? I've been planning to make this for the past week, on a night when dh is home. Should be tasty!

Wow Corazon! This sounds amazingly delicious! I will have to try it very soon. Would you submit or PM me with the recipe for your baked penne in tomato cream sauce with chicken, etc? Thanks.

I agree Dina, Corazons dinner sounds delish! I've decided to have chinese veggie soup and some shrimp fried rice (take out). Getting a cold from my husband, so soup should be good.

This morning I had three choices of what to make for dinner. My choices where: red beans and rice or beef barley soup or steak with macaroni and cheese. No carrots in the house so the beef barley soup will have to wait until tomorrow. The red beans and rice I want to make on Monday in the crockpot. So, the winner is the steak grilled on the GF grill with a side of macaroni and cheese and sauteed zucchini.

licia said:
Are you making the petit fours also? If so, I would love to have the recipe.
I'll slip it off to you, I got it from Cook.com, and yes, I made them, I like to do stuff like that. It's, for me, theraputic!:wacko:
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1610,157173-228207,00.html

MELTAWAYS - PETITS FOURS
1 box yellow cake mix
3 eggs
1/3 c. oil
1 1/4 c. water or unsweetened juice
1 (16 oz.) box confectioners' sugar
1/2 c. fresh orange juice
1/4 c. fresh lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray miniature muffin tins with cooking spray or grease them well with shortening. In a large mixing bowl combine the cake mix, eggs, oil and water. Beat until smooth. Spoon into muffin tins, filling them about 2/3 full. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the center of one of the tiny cakes. While the cakes are baking, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange juice and lemon juice in medium-sized bowl and beat until smooth. As soon as the miniature cupcakes come from the oven dump them into the confectioners' sugar/juice mixture, coating well. Place on a rack to cool. (Be sure to have waxed paper or pan under the rack to catch the drippings.) The juice mixture soaks into the cakes giving them that "meltaway" texture. Decorate with maraschino cherries or nuts or a pastry tube to decorate. Serve in tiny paper liners. Makes about 6 dozen miniature meltaways.

Last edited:
I will make these soon. A couple of my friends and I have been taking tea parties to some of the older ladies in our church. We now have them requesting our tea parties, so in the next week we will have another. This would be a very good addition. Thanks a bunch!

Back
Top Bottom