What's for dinner 10/28/13?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I think I'm going to go to the store, get some mushrooms and some Swiss, and turn some brisket into a big cheesesteak sub tonight. Maybe a little beans on the side.

Anyone else know what they are having or that has eaten dinner tonight yet?

Since it doesn't look like I'm going to be waylaid by a handsome man on a motorcycle again today, we'll probably have the soup we were supposed to have had yesterday. Still lots of homemade French bread left as well. I discovered some zucchini bread so we'll have that for dessert. We won't need too much since the soup is pretty filling.

No leftovers from yesterday's meal as it was an unqualified disaster, so it was a baked potato with tuna and sweetcorn mayo for me.

I think a pot of chili will be happening at our house. I have some chorizo and some left over pot roast that need to be used up.

The clocks went back yesterday so it's pitch black outside despite only being 5.45pm. It's rained all day and boy, has it rained! And for some reason it's colder indoors than out. The central heating may have to go on later.

OK, so it's comfort food for dinner, tea, supper* or whatever you like to call it. I have sweet potatoes, ordinary potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, garlic, onions,
mushrooms, and a celeriac that needs using up. Thinks : soup or veg curry?

The latter, I think. I've a tin of black-eyed beans to provide protein, a tin of coconut milk and/or may add a few hard-boiled eggs. Will make plenty then I can have some left for tomorrow.

*Oop north, traditionally, dinner is eaten at midday, tea (unless preceded by "afternoon" which makes it posh and an excuse to over-indulge in cake:yum:) is a substantial meal eaten in the early evening and supper is the biscuit you have at bedtime with your cocoa. Even if your midday meal is a packed lunch (a "piece" or "snap" or "packing up" or a sandwich) it's still called dinner.

It's supposed to be potato and leek soup. Potato and leek soup was supposed to happen on Saturday, but my knives and my fingers refused to play nice so the soup was supposed to be made on Sunday. But yesterday came and I wanted breakfast for supper. Since I do the cooking I (usually) get what I want for supper. Sooooo, potato and leek soup tonight - unless we stop at a restaurant for supper on our way home from dropping my car off for its pre-vacation check-up. :w00t:

It's supposed to be potato and leek soup. Potato and leek soup was supposed to happen on Saturday, but my knives and my fingers refused to play nice so the soup was supposed to be made on Sunday. But yesterday came and I wanted breakfast for supper. Since I do the cooking I (usually) get what I want for supper. Sooooo, potato and leek soup tonight - unless we stop at a restaurant for supper on our way home from dropping my car off for its pre-vacation check-up. :w00t:

CG, has it crossed your mind that the potato and leek soup just isn't meant to be?:LOL:

Pan fried pork chops with gravy, apple onion and remainder sauerkraut from yesterday liberally tossed w caraway seeds. That's as far as my thinking has gotten though I think I should make some mashed 'taters too.

gather round fellow gastronauts,this is how the tale unfolds:ermm:.i was seeking inspiration for tonights repast & stumbled upon a jar of preserved lemons that i had made last spring & forgotten about,ah hah,thought i,for i also remembered a long forgotten stewing pack of cheap cuts of lamb languishing in the dingy depths of my freezer,next to mr yamamoto...you remember mr y...the japanese soldier who didn't know the war had ended?..no?...anyway the thought of said two foodstuffs transported me to the exotic warmth of morocco & the equally exotic warmth of laila who i met under a star filled sky in the night market of marrakech.laila taught me a few things,steady in the ranks:rolleyes:,including tagine cookery.so laila if you are reading this,in the words of rod stewart "think of me & try not to laugh" harry & laila's ras el hanout lamb tagine with jewelled giant saffron cous cous

Attachments

• RAS  EL HANOUT TAGINE 001.JPG
    RAS EL HANOUT TAGINE 001.JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 123
  • RAS  EL HANOUT TAGINE 002.JPG
    RAS EL HANOUT TAGINE 002.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 120
  • RAS  EL HANOUT TAGINE 003.JPG
    RAS EL HANOUT TAGINE 003.JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 124
  • RAS  EL HANOUT TAGINE 004.JPG
    RAS EL HANOUT TAGINE 004.JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 128
  • RAS  EL HANOUT TAGINE 005.JPG
    RAS EL HANOUT TAGINE 005.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 141
  • RAS  EL HANOUT TAGINE 006.JPG
    RAS EL HANOUT TAGINE 006.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 132
  • RAS  EL HANOUT TAGINE 007.JPG
    RAS EL HANOUT TAGINE 007.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 121
  • RAS  EL HANOUT TAGINE 008.JPG
    RAS EL HANOUT TAGINE 008.JPG
    94 KB · Views: 129
  • RAS  EL HANOUT TAGINE 009.JPG
    RAS EL HANOUT TAGINE 009.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 119
  • RAS  EL HANOUT TAGINE 010.JPG
    RAS EL HANOUT TAGINE 010.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 122
  • RAS  EL HANOUT TAGINE 011.JPG
    RAS EL HANOUT TAGINE 011.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 122
  • RAS  EL HANOUT TAGINE 013.JPG
    RAS EL HANOUT TAGINE 013.JPG
    104.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Harry,
I've seen that long skinny red chile pepper in other dishes you have made. What kind is it? It resembles, to me, either a thai pepper, except it's longer than ours or perhaps a tabasco pepper.

Harry,
I've seen that long skinny red chile pepper in other dishes you have made. What kind is it? It resembles, to me, either a thai pepper, except it's longer than ours or perhaps a tabasco pepper.
it's not the same one whiska,i've got more than one...just kidding matey:rolleyes:!!
don't know mate,just checked the packet & it just says "grown in spain" "medium heat".tell you what me old mucker,they lied about the heat...bloody hell they are hotter than satan's underpant's:ohmy:!.i'd put them somewhere between bird eye & scotch bonnet..that's why i left this one whole.really tasty too so i think i'll keep the seeds from one & trying growing them:cool:!!

Wow, that plate has a lot going on. It looks outstanding, Harry.

Back
Top Bottom