what's for dinner for 12/30/05?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
urmaniac13 said:
Papaya, carrot and chicken salad, &
Polenta with mushroom and red wine sauce.

This can be even better if you make the polenta beforehand, let it cool and kinda press it together, then cut it into bite size cubes and fry in the butter. However we have been eating way too many sweets these days and need to be on a lighter side for dinners... therefore tonight just a plain version of polenta...
We had polenta last night and I put half of it into a pan, spread it out and let it cool, covered it and sunday I'll cut into bite sized cubes and fry in butter and put a mushroom sauce over it..Sounds like we make it almost the same way :LOL:
kadesma

callie said:
thanks, sierra...this nasty bug has swept through town. Everyone has been sick.

keep warm! your fries sound yummy!!
Hi Callie,
hope DH is feeling better..Your gumbo should do the trick:LOL: It sounds yummy.
kadesma

kadesma said:
We had polenta last night and I put half of it into a pan, spread it out and let it cool, covered it and sunday I'll cut into bite sized cubes and fry in butter and put a mushroom sauce over it..Sounds like we make it almost the same way :LOL:
kadesma

Yeah!! They are so good aren't they? (though you wouldn't dare to think about the damage:LOL: ) We discovered this method while we were in the Italian Alps last summer, if I remember correctly your hubby's family is from the north, too? I think this is a typical northern style cooking:)

OK...dumb question - is polenta the same thing as "mush?" My grandma and my mom always made cornmeal mush. Water, cornmeal, salt - boiled till thickened. Sometimes we ate it hot and soft in a bowl, or it was placed in a loaf pan and chilled. Then sliced thin and fried in butter or bacon grease. My mom likes hers with salt and pepper. My grandma topped hers with maple syrup or other times put chili on top.

callie said:
OK...dumb question - is polenta the same thing as "mush?" My grandma and my mom always made cornmeal mush. Water, cornmeal, salt - boiled till thickened. Sometimes we ate it hot and soft in a bowl, or it was placed in a loaf pan and chilled. Then sliced thin and fried in butter or bacon grease. My mom likes hers with salt and pepper. My grandma topped hers with maple syrup or other times put chili on top.
Callie, yep same thing, just sold as corn meal and also labeled polenta. My gramma, use to fry it for breakfast we would butter it and then pour on maple syrup..I really prefer it hot, creamy with a nice hunter style stew over it, we also spread it in a pan, cover and let set til firm, then cube and fry in butter and a little evoo and then sauce it..OR toss the fried polenta as is into a green salad toss with evoo, balsamic and grate some parmesan on top and toss YUmmy :)

kadesma

callie said:

No Callie it is not dumb... I didn't get familiar with polenta until I came to Italy, either. Now I am not familiar with "mush" either, but from your description, it must be almost, if not exactly identical stuff. Polenta is also made of ground cornmeal. Never tried it with maple syrup, but could be interesting!!

urmaniac13 said:
No Callie it is not dumb... I didn't get familiar with polenta until I came to Italy, either. Now I am not familiar with "mush" either, but from your description, it must be almost, if not exactly identical stuff. Polenta is also made of ground cornmeal. Never tried it with maple syrup, but could be interesting!!
First ya gotta load it with butter, then the maple syrup after ya fry it :LOL: Emmm
kadesma:)

i had miso soup, more for lunch than dinner, so i would like to go out for some take-out food. i'm going to go check out my options.

i checked out my options.
fridge is frozen, yet.
time to thaw some juice. i'm needing a drink.
for dinner, think i have some organic lettuce i need to use if it isn't frozen, we'll see 'bout that with herb-infused white balsamic vinegar and walnut oil.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom