What's for Dinner, Friday, 29 December

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am going to make hawaiian ono with a cilantro coconut chutney. I was going to make saffron rice to go with it, but we still have red wine risotto left over, so I think we'll just have that.

Finally, just about back to a normal Friday routine. The weeks from Thanksgiving till now wreak havoc with my friday night gig.:brows:

I've got crab stuffed mushrooms with the bit of crab that I didn't need for christmas eve.
I have cold poached shrimp with an anchovy aioli.
I've got bruschetta with ricotta salade and blackberries.

We're drinking Rob Roys, on the rocks.

The sweet tooth can be attended to with the few remaining christmas cookies.

I made two cheese danish horseshoes for breakfast tomorrow morning...those are in the first proof stage right now.

Trying a new pizza place out. The sauce had better be good! My toppings are eggplant, tomatoes, and spinach, and husband is having jalapenos, mushrooms, green peppers and mushrooms. I've never had eggplant on pizza but I love eggplant.

stinemates, thanks for the vote of encouragement. I have the roast beast in the oven now. Its a big 'un so it will need to "do" for a while. I'll do potatoes, green salad and a cooked veggie as yet to be named.

Vera, I want to eat at your place! All that sounds FAB! Unfortunately, I would be yet another crimp in your Friday night "routine". :cool: Have fun and I'm glad things are getting back to normal for you.

Katie E said:
Not sure here. Buck and I are driving (about 60 miles) to visit my youngest brother. He, my brother, has been cooking all week and I imagine we'll be stuffed when we leave his place. In that case, I think we'll raid the refrigerator for leftovers for supper. Although, I can just about guarantee that we'll have the last two pieces of grasshopper pie for dessert. Yum, double yum

And, no, before any of you wisecrackers chime in, it's NOT made from real grasshoppers.

Yum! I'd love to see that grasshopper pie recipe (hint hint).

We've got a sick Aidan, so dinner for me was a bagel with mushrooms and melted cheese. All the leftover Christmas food is gone. :cry: Dessert will be tea and "sweetie squares"

Last edited:
Alix said:
Vera, I want to eat at your place! All that sounds FAB! Unfortunately, I would be yet another crimp in your Friday night "routine". :cool: Have fun and I'm glad things are getting back to normal for you.

alix, you and me both! we'll just stand in the corner munching leftover cookies. they'll never notice us.

well, i never got around to cooking for myself, so the boy had fishsticks (look away, stiney), pasta, supremes of an orange, and a pint of halved grape tomatoes. 2 half pints? lol.

i'm off in a bit for a pint or 3, and lamb souvlaki deluxe, extra onions and tsatsiki.

chicken cacciatore ... seasoned, browned chicken parts, onions garlic peppers, chunky tomato sauce, rosemary n saffron. over pasta.

I had fried rice tonite : diced ham, chopped green onions, and an egg sauteed w/the rice and seasoned w/soy sauce

appletart said:
I had fried rice tonite : diced ham, chopped green onions, and an egg sauteed w/the rice and seasoned w/soy sauce

You motivated me to make some. Just made 3 cups of white rice, I'll have some fried rice for lunch tomorrow ;)

Alix said:
stinemates, thanks for the vote of encouragement. I have the roast beast in the oven now. Its a big 'un so it will need to "do" for a while. I'll do potatoes, green salad and a cooked veggie as yet to be named.

Alix, if you ever find yourself visting NYC area, I would have to insist on changing my routine just to cook for you. I would insist.... and Bucky, you're just down the road, you and I should get together even sooner.

vb, as soon as i have a free afternoon or something, i'm there. if i can talk dw and the boy into it, you bring lou and we'll make it a party.

you are, of course, invited for a tour of cbs anytime that you guys are in the city. afterwards, i'll show you my fave little holes-in-the-wall restaurants on the west side.

corazon90 said:
Yum! I'd love to see that grasshopper pie recipe (hint hint).

Well, I was right about being full when we left my brother's place. We were fed like royalty. He began the meal (lunch) with a creamy jelled shrimp spread with crackers. The main meal consisted of a beef casserole with big slices of potatoes and creamed corn. A side of buttered baby peas, relish tray of baby carrots, celery sticks, ripe olives and homemade (his) sweet pickles. All rounded out with hot rolls and butter. When Buck and I felt as though we were ready to explode, Brian announced that the dessert tray would be ready soon. The dessert tray had homemade (Brian again) peanut brittle, banana cake with burnt caramel icing and homemade Christmas cookies. We washed the dessert(s) down with boiled custard, which is similar to egg nog.

My brother is a fabulous cook and loves to entertain. He's also talented in many other areas. He sews, plays guitar and piano, gardens, great at artistic things, can fix just about anything around the house. The list goes on and on. I'm very proud of him because he's self-taught in all areas. He's never married and, by now, pretty set in his ways. Too bad, though, he'd have been a great catch for anyone.

We didn't get home until a little after 5 p.m. and were still full from the luncheon feast. Happy day, Brian sent us home with a bowl of the shrimp spread. Yum, double yum! Buck darn near dived into the serving plate at lunch. It was really delicious.

Okay, corazon, I'll post the grasshopper pie recipe in the appropriate place. The recipe is delicous and has been in my family since I was a wee girl. It's really easy to make and serves quite a few because it is so rich. It's also a refreshing shade of green. Just perfect for Christmas...or St. Patty's Day.

Back
Top Bottom