What's for dinner? Friday April 22, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I'll be having the rest of the grilled rib eye from yesterday. Thinly sliced on a toasted onion bun, with a light spread of horseradish/mayo blend. Not sure of a side yet...maybe an assortment of pickles, or some roasted and seasoned sweet potato 'fries'.

What's on your plate, mate? :chef:

I making salads, but after that we're each on our own to graze through the leftovers. We have pork-and-sauerkraut, mashed potatoes, roasted chicken, braised red cabbage, and yesterday's sausage-peppers-onion-over-polenta. Making room for a grocery run tomorrow, so I'm hoping my Everything Must Go ploy is successful.

Yum, horseradish. Sounds like a nice meal.

I made some beef raviolis. After they floated in the water, I fried them in some butter and fresh garlic. Served with a marinara sauce, green beans, and some rustic sourdough bread.

Brought home a couple of tenderloins(..sometimes, the odd piece of beef gets a little dried or dark in the meat case at the deli, so we take it home to eat it. There is nothing wrong with it but, it likely won't sell, so I'll gladly gobble it up) I cut them up and gave them a quick tex mex rub. Going to skewer them up with shrooms, peppers and onions and have them on the bbq....Cesar salad...

Wild shrimp caught locally, brined and boiled in beer, with our family special sauce on the side. Special sauce = combo of mayo, horseradish, mustard, catsup, sriracha, worcestershire, fish sauce, honey and lemon. Different every time but just as good, because nobody measures and just goes by color and taste. Corn on the cob. Brussel sprout slaw. A hunk of ciabatta bread.

SC had to drive down to the San Fernando Valley for a dentist appointment because he won't give up his old Dentist. :rolleyes: OK by me since he brought back half barbecue chickens and Caesar Salads for dinner tonight from Stonefire Grill. Good stuff.:yum:

We had a late lunch at Char Hut, so continued the unhealthy mode with potato skins and fried chicken strips by Craig.

We just came back from Northern Arizona, where we're moving to... had to do some business up there ... so real simple tonight (after two days of eating meals out that we shouldn't, but loved anyways ;) ) a salad and some broiled Flank Steak.. it's WAY too wind to try and cook on my charcoal Lil Smokey Weber grill tonight... I don't want to start a brush fire here in the middle of the VERY DRY desert !!

DH had leftovers, I had half a small pack of Ruffles chips that came with the leftover burgers DH brought home from work yesterday that I repurposed, along with celery sticks and ranch dip.

Last edited:
I'm going to try chicken piccata tonight. I've had the capers since last month and I have an unopened bottle of wine in the fridge for this. Now I have to either A) find more recipes that use white wine B) freeze the wine or C) drink the rest of it before it goes bad. Problem is, more than one glass of wine will put me under the table and give me a monstrous headache. So it looks like I'll be doing A and B after tonight.:(

I'll be having the rest of the grilled rib eye from yesterday. Thinly sliced on a toasted onion bun, with a light spread of horseradish/mayo blend. Not sure of a side yet...maybe an assortment of pickles, or some roasted and seasoned sweet potato 'fries'...

I went with roasted cinnamon sweet potato 'fries'. It was delicious, and I'm glad I was able to use up the rest of that monster rib eye from yesterday. :yum:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 135
I'm going to try chicken piccata tonight. I've had the capers since last month and I have an unopened bottle of wine in the fridge for this. Now I have to either A) find more recipes that use white wine B) freeze the wine or C) drink the rest of it before it goes bad. Problem is, more than one glass of wine will put me under the table and give me a monstrous headache. So it looks like I'll be doing A and B after tonight.:(

Let us know how you liked your chicken piccata, RR! I love it and haven't had it in quite a while. :)

Don't let the wine go bad - that's alcohol abuse! :ohmy:

If you're not a wine drinker, you can use chicken stock as a substitute to deglaze the pan. The taste will be somewhat different, but I think with the other flavors in piccata it would still be quite good. There are some sauces where I prefer chicken stock over wine.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom