What's for dinner? Monday 7-18-16

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I made a chicken salad this morning and intended to have it on lettuce wraps for dinner, but my romaine went south on me. Fortunately I have spinach, so a scoop of the chicken salad will be on a bed of spinach instead.

Sliced Granny Smith apple and cucumber will also be on the plate. Hot day today, so I'm glad the cooking part of this meal was done this morning.

What's on your plate? :chef:

I'm roasting a pork sirloin roast on the grill with a rub. Steamed broccoli so I can say I ate my veggies.

Fresh tuna steaks seared after being marinaded in a mix of sugar, rice wine vinegar and tamari for a short while. Carrot puree with sweet onion, ginger, mirin, white wine (supposed to be saki, but we didn't have any). Wasabi mashed potatoes. Spinach sauteed with some mostly cooked onions and just a touch of sesame oil.

37240-albums1042-picture6587.jpg

ABSOLUTELY FREAKING DELICIOUS!!!!

I'm roasting a pork sirloin roast on the grill with a rub. Steamed broccoli so I can say I ate my veggies.

Great minds think alike Andy!:rolleyes:

I'm doing the very same thing but using Montreal Steak Seasoning on my pork roast, thanks to Rick's idea about using it on pork. We're having steamed broccolini cuz I like it better. I might do a spud on the grill for the SC too.

That's one pretty colorful plate Med!!

I went to Ruby Tuesday today for lunch and ordered the Mediterranean Chicken Salad. It was HUGE! I had about a third of it and will finish the rest up for dinner tonight.

I made a sort of 1970's style casserole. I had some chicken to use up, so I cubed it and cooked it in some olive oil and salt/pepper in the cast iron skillet. Then I combined it in a Pyrex casserole pan with a can of Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup and a can of Campbell's Cream of Chicken along with some cooked egg noodles and a can of peas. Splash of hot sauce to kick it up a notch.

Served with a salad and some French bread.

Last edited:
I am living in food hell...salmon, mixed veggies, and apple slices for my mom (I eat what she doesn't finish); same for my dad by swapped the apple slices for a tossed salad. I so MISS my spices and my vinegars and greens, greens, greens. Mom can't have greens because of the Vit K issue. And, I miss REAL eggs!!!! Waaaaahhhh! I miss being creative in the kitchen!!!! I hate 1% fat cottage cheese. And, Lactose-free milk...thinking I need to get a small fridge for me in the basement...

CWS, I'm sorry for you and your tastebuds. Just remind yourself of what a wonderful daughter you are because you ARE!

S&P and medtran, lovely looking plates. medtran, your dinner tonight is a real fooler since it's so very Asian in flavor and yet looks nothing like Chinese take-out. :huh:

Like you, Cheryl, I had my foods ready for eating early in the day. We had potato salad; tuna salad with a lemon juice-olive oil dressing, celery, and stuffed green olives; and two rotisserie chicken salads - one with dried cranberries, walnuts, and cinnamon, the other with fresh bing cherries, sliced almonds, and nutmeg. Himself had his on the last of the focaccia, I split a flatbread between a tuna with spinach and the cherry-almond chicken with mixed baby greens.

Enough leftovers for tomorrow as long as I get creative with another side dish. Bought a couple ear of corn for just that purpose.

Attachments

• 2016-07-18 22.15.46.jpg
    2016-07-18 22.15.46.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 91
Thanks Kay and CG. I'll probably not make a puree of the carrots next time just for texture sake. It was supposed to be a sauce per the recipe but how they thought the small amount of liquid they used (and I even added water to it) to carrot ratio was going to make a sauce is beyond me, but I usually try to follow a recipe pretty closely the first time I make it. Regardless, they were excellent. Craig and I both agree this is going in our cookbook. I'm usually wishy-washy about tuna steaks and Craig (he loves tuna obviously) usually ends up with a good portion of mine and I'll fill up on whatever side(s) we have, but un-uh, not this time. Marinating it made a world of difference. Still tasted like tuna but more. He had to make do with only his own. Next time we'll have to get a bigger piece of tuna so he won't have to fill up on the sides. :LOL:

CG, that chicken salad with cherries and almonds sounds really good. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Joey, beautiful looking and I bet tasting dinner plate.

CWS, you sound like me when I had to take care of my Dad while Stepmom was in hospital. He doesn't like veges, especially salads. I ended up making chef salads for lunch for me, and I'd make roasted or sauteed chicken with some kind of side for him and use the chicken in a salad of some type for me. If I was making spaghetti sauce, I'd make 2 pots of sauce, 1 for me, 1 for him (not big on spices either). I'd make meatloaf the same for both of us and mashies, but make a vege for me, which he'd usually eat a few bites of.

I tried to eat the same things as him for several weeks but it got to the point that 1 time when we were visiting her in the hospital (1-1/2 hours away from their home) that I went down to the cafeteria to get me and him some lunch, saw the salad bar and just broke. I loaded that box up with over 2 pounds of salad and fixins. Obviously, I wasn't able to eat it all at 1 sitting but I took it home and ate the rest that night for dinner. After that, I decided I'd just go to a little more work to make both of us food we liked.

I've been wanting sesame-crusted seared tuna for a while, so we finally had it last night. I had planned to make sesame noodles as a side, but I was out of peanut butter, so I made a Chinese-style sauce for spaghetti noodles with the ingredients pictured. I am added roasted bell peppers and sliced water chestnuts. Dinner was nice and light and tasty.

Attachments

• 1468928816361.jpg
    1468928816361.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 102
  • 1468928833129.jpg
    1468928833129.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 93
T CWS, you sound like me when I had to take care of my Dad while Stepmom was in hospital. He doesn't like veges, especially salads. I ended up making chef salads for lunch for me, and I'd make roasted or sauteed chicken with some kind of side for him and use the chicken in a salad of some type for me. If I was making spaghetti sauce, I'd make 2 pots of sauce, 1 for me, 1 for him (not big on spices either). I'd make meatloaf the same for both of us and mashies, but make a vege for me, which he'd usually eat a few bites of.

I tried to eat the same things as him for several weeks but it got to the point that 1 time when we were visiting her in the hospital (1-1/2 hours away from their home) that I went down to the cafeteria to get me and him some lunch, saw the salad bar and just broke. I loaded that box up with over 2 pounds of salad and fixins. Obviously, I wasn't able to eat it all at 1 sitting but I took it home and ate the rest that night for dinner. After that, I decided I'd just go to a little more work to make both of us food we liked.

Mom was having a bad day today, and Dad said to me that I coddle her and am not waiting on him...last time I noticed, he had two legs and arms that worked. I do cook with Mom in mind, but I also cookwith him in mind. I don't eat pasta, but I make pasta for him. My Mom doesn't like pasta anymore, so I make something else for her when I make him pasta. This being the housekeeper is exhausting.

Back
Top Bottom