What's for Dinner Monday Oct 24/11?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I had BLTs yesterday for lunch.
I was cooking a lb of bacon anyway, so I made a couple sammies on plain white bread (not toasted) with lots of mayo. Sometimes a BLT really hits the spot. Funny thing was, I hardly had any cooked bacon left for the freezer afterwards :pig:

So anyway, tonight, once I got going cooking the sausage I just couldn't stop. I had some cheddar cheese I wanted to use up anyway.
Loaded mac & cheese.

Attachments

• mac & cheese 10-24.jpg
    mac & cheese 10-24.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 131
corned beef brisket, potatoes, carrots and savoy cabbage all cooked in the broth. really simple and really good. repeat tomorrow and sandwiches on Wed.

I'm snickering here. What were you cooking the bacon for?

The freezer. Andy made a great suggestion a while back about how he precooks bacon and freezes it for a quick sandwich or whatever without the fuss of cooking it.
I forgot to ask him how he keeps from eating most of it though :huh:

;)

pacanis said:
The freezer. Andy made a great suggestion a while back about how he precooks bacon and freezes it for a quick sandwich or whatever without the fuss of cooking it.

;)

Have done the same. Am left with a measly couple of pieces to freeze.

Good idea in theory.

;)

SO thinks I cook the bacon for her and she threatens me with violence if it's not there when she wants some. Pretty effective.

SO thinks I cook the bacon for her and she threatens me with violence if it's not there when she wants some. Pretty effective.

hmmm... no SO at the moment.
I was thinking more along the lines of getting another sheetpan and cooking twice as much :chef:

Now that sounds like a great plan PAC! So many things you can do if you have cooked bacon on hand. Of course you will have to slap your own hand to make sure there is some left for the fridge. Sounds like a challenge to me. Lol!

BWA HA HA HA HA HA!!! You'd just EAT twice as much! Oh lordy, I have tears running down my face. Cooked bacon in the freezer...that wouldn't last a day in my house. At least when you have to go to the trouble of cooking it, you think twice about doing it! Otherwise I'd be bigger than a house!

Did you know they don't have real bacon in France? Our exchange student LOVES bacon, and could eat her way through an entire pig if given the opportunity. She took up jogging while she was here. :pig::ROFLMAO::pig::LOL:

That's a really good idea--do you reheat it in the microwave? This could be something worth doing next time I'm in MN--my parents eat bacon on Sundays, this would be easier for them than cooking bacon every Sunday. Am I correct to assume the bacon is cooked in the oven (I missed Andy's post). Heck, it would be a good idea for me! I usually roll the bacon (raw) and freeze that, but sometimes it is difficult to break the rolls apart (a trick from a Tupperware party attended a gazillion years ago).

Alix--I tried putting bacon bits in the freezer...that didn't work...I discovered I was rather fond of frozen bacon bits (I put bacon on a cookie sheet cover with a paper towel and roll with a rolling pin to make the bits...). Maybe pre-cooked frozen bacon wouldn't be such a great idea for me to do...

Last edited:
They've had the precooked bacon strips in stores for awhile, I got a package once and found it was way too convenient.

Darn you Andy! Look at what you've started! You're going to make a whole bunch of people with low impulse control very fat!

Yes, CW, you just nuke it a little to warm it up.

No bacon in France?! Now that's an interesting piece of trivia.

We always pre cook bacon before we go camping. We just reheat it on the griddle or in a fry pan while the eggs or pancakes are cooking. CWS, I think this would be a great way for your parents to get their Sunday bacon and I am sure it could just be zapped in the microwave for a few seconds to warm.

Weird isn't it? Our poor little student was horrified at the stuff we call "cheese" here. Cheddar, no matter how good, is just NOT cheese to her. She was just as thrilled to discover what real beef tastes like, and bacon...oh bacon was her new favorite food.

They eat very differently there. Every meal is a production, and it sort of took her by surprise that we don't do that here.

That's a really good idea--do you reheat it in the microwave? This could be something worth doing next time I'm in MN--my parents eat bacon on Sundays, this would be easier for them than cooking bacon every Sunday. Am I correct to assume the bacon is cooked in the oven (I missed Andy's post). Heck, it would be a good idea for me! I usually roll the bacon (raw) and freeze that, but sometimes it is difficult to break the rolls apart (a trick from a Tupperware party attended a gazillion years ago).

Alix--I tried putting bacon bits in the freezer...that didn't work...I discovered I was rather fond of frozen bacon bits (I put bacon on a cookie sheet cover with a paper towel and roll with a rolling pin to make the bits...). Maybe pre-cooked frozen bacon wouldn't be such a great idea for me to do...

But do they use the grease to cook their eggs?:pig:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom