What's for dinner on Groundhog Day? 2-2-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
No, not groundhog. :ermm: :LOL:

It's a beautiful sunny day for grilling, so I've got a nice tri tip coming to room temp to throw on the grill. Sides will be sautéed mushrooms, baked potato with sour cream and chives, and grilled asparagus.

What's on everyone's menu for this evening? :chef:

Cheryl, great minds think alike! Bet you didn't check to see if someone else had started today's thread - mine is time-stamped two minutes before yours. ;)

No groundhog here, we're letting his sleep in his snow bunker. Not even ground hog here. Instead, it's another Murder Mystery Meal here. It's Laura Childs' riff on Louisiana Gumbo, "Chicken Gumbo Ya-Ya". Her recipe calls for just chicken, but while creeping around the web I ran across this recipe posted in another forum*, and that person mentioned that this version is missing sausage and seafood. :huh: I have sausage and shrimp! I don't need all of the sausage for tomorrow's planned meal, and I might be able to coax a couple of shrimp to come out of the freezer for a "swim". Another suggestion was to substitute Tony Chachere's seasoning. I also have that! Just picked it up back home when we were in OH for Christmas. We'll see how this all turns out.

*If you want to check the recipe out, it's listed near the bottom of that thread. Just use your search feature and look for "Laura Childs". It takes you right to where you need to be. :)

Cheryl, great minds think alike! Bet you didn't check to see if someone else had started today's thread - mine is time-stamped two minutes before yours. ;)
:)

Haha! I did check, but there wasn't one yet when I started - if my phone hadn't interrupted me, we would have been almost exactly the same time! :LOL: How funny...!

No Ground Hog here tonight.

It's going to be ground chuck burgers with green beans on the side. :yum:

I do have a couple of recipes for Ground Hog if anyone wants them.:rolleyes:

One's for Creamed Hog and the other is called Pasture Poodle Casserole. ;)

I've had it before and it's not bad. :chef: But it's also not something I'd go out of my way for. :)

Cold, windy, snowing and 5 degrees out. Snowing all day here in The Finger Lakes of NY State.
So it is a big pot of Stuffed Pepper soup on the stove.
Stuffed Pepper Soup
In a large pot
1 1/2 lbs ground beef
1 tbl olive oil
saute till brown, remove from heat, drain and set aside
Add to pot
1 tbl olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 red pepper chopped (can use all green if like)
1 green pepper chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
saute till softened
add in
2 - 14 - 15 oz petite tomatoes
1 - 15 oz tomato sauce
1 - 14 -15 oz beef broth
1/2 tsp dried basil
1/4 tsp oregano
salt & pepper to taste
simmer 30 min
While soup simmers, cook 1 cup rice (as per package directions)
When done add to soup to desired thickness.
Note:
If not eating soup right away, store rice in a separate container and add rice to soup when ready to serve

No ground hog for dinner, but I did have ground hog for breakfast. Mmmmm..... ground hog. :ROFLMAO:

premium-pork-regular-sausage.jpg

Steve :LOL:

letscook, your soup recipe sounds really good. I LOVE stuffed bell peppers and never thought of deconstructing it into a soup. Copied. Thank you. :yum:

That sounds just delicious Letscook! You might want to put the recipe in the soups forum also, so it doesn't get lost. I just love soups.

We're having leftovers tonight

We don't celebrate Groundhog Day in UK (loved the film though i.e. with Bill Murray! :cool: )

I had a simple meal which was very delicious - wide egg noodles with spinach, red pesto and tinned, flaked tuna.

No hog here tonight, ground our otherwise. Actually, our meal was meatless. I've been playing with a recipe for rosemary-olive oil bread that I think I've finally gotten it to the way I want it. We had some of it with yesterday's evening meal and Glenn suggested that it would be a good candidate for grilled cheese. So...

Our meal tonight was rosemary-olive oil bread grilled cheese using fontina and provolone cheeses, fried potatoes, Italian green beans, iced tea and peach cobbler.

The sandwiches were awesome and are definitely a "do again." The bread was perfect. I rarely remember to take a photo but thought to do it tonight. Have a look-see.

Attachments

• 001 - Copy (7).jpg
    001 - Copy (7).jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 182
Feb 2nd also used to be Candlemas over here and as the rhyme goes

If Candlemas day be fair and bright
Winter will have another flight;
But if Candlemas day be clouds and rain
Winter is gone and will not come again.

It predicts like the Groundhog

It was sunny most of today. I may say a very rude word!

Tequila-lime marinated chicken, green rice, anf fennel, onion,avocado, arugula salad.

It's a beautiful sunny day for grilling, so I've got a nice tri tip coming to room temp to throw on the grill. Sides will be sautéed mushrooms, baked potato with sour cream and chives, and grilled asparagus.

Turned out good! I'm still stuffed, lots of leftovers. :yum:

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 154
It's a beautiful sunny day for grilling

Phfffflllttt. Snaining here...terrible slushy not-quite-snow wet mess.

Hog of the hoofed kind here. DH put some country style ribs into the sous vide cooker this morning and I'm going to try crisping them up with a propane torch. Well see how that goes, lol. Heating up a pint of bbq beans and coleslaw made with some fresh red kraut on the side.

:ohmy: That looks fabulous, Cheryl! :yum:

Thank you, Dawg. :) With it being just me here, I see all kinds of reincarnations of the leftovers....I bought some onion buns today in anticipation of tri tip sandwiches with a horseradish sauce.....and then fajitas...and tacos...yum...:yum: :LOL:

Last edited:
Looks good, Katie. :yum:

bookbrat, hope your sousviding (sp?) goes well, with the crisping up with a blowtorch. :ohmy: :) Gotta have baked beans with ribs. :yum:

Feb 2nd also used to be Candlemas over here and as the rhyme goes

If Candlemas day be fair and bright
Winter will have another flight;
But if Candlemas day be clouds and rain
Winter is gone and will not come again.

It predicts like the Groundhog

It was sunny most of today. I may say a very rude word!
Since Candlemas Day marks the mid-point of winter, and we like to deceive ourselves with the prospect of an early spring, I guess we'll go on dragging poor Phil out of his borough. ;)

In other news, I told Himself that if someone tried dragging me out of my warm borough, I would bite that person. Apparently a lesser known groundhog by the name of Jimmy did just that! :LOL:
Groundhog Day 2015: Conflicting forecasts and a bitten mayor - CBS News

Thanks kayelle - Didn't think of that- Just did it. Hope you like it, never last long here. I make extra rice, as some like it with a lot others like it more brothy.

Back
Top Bottom