What's for Dinner, Sat. 10/21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
VeraBlue said:
that sounds magnificent! I never saw oriental black rice....what's it like?

Wow, you just made my day VB! Thank you!

I get the oriental black rice in a Korean shop in London...having had it at a wonderful restaurant with scallops, with which it was gorgeous.

Its a plump, short grain rice...more like a sushi or pudding rice than, say basmati and not at all like American black rice, which I also love. It turns the stock/water it is cooked in a deep maroony-purple. It is beautiful cooked in chicken, fish or veg stock. I usually cheat and cook it in a powdered veg stock mid week, and it still tastes "special". It is not as nutty flavoured as wild rice or even Carmargue red rice, but still has good flavour. I don't rinse it at all. I highly recommend trying to source some.

I am going to sing all day that VeraBlue liked the sound of our supper.....yippee!

VeraBlue said:
Good evening everyone!

The first course tonight is sauteed goat cheese rilettes on a bed of boston lettuce with candied walnuts and balsamic viniagrette.

Main course is roast leg of lamb served with fryed yukon gold potatos, peas and mushrooms with dried cranberries, and mashed apples with a hint of rum.

Dessert is eggnog creme brulee.

Cocktail is bourbon - neat
and we have an Australian syrah for the lamb.

I hope everyone has a wonderful evening!
Ach, VeraBlue, slumming it again in New Jersey?!

I have a feeling this would not be the time or the place to admit to something like Kraft macaroni & cheese with ketchup, or Hamburger Helper.

:ermm:

BreezyCooking said:
I tried something new tonight that came out well enough for dear husband to say he'd definitely enjoy it again (always a plus - lol!!).

I blanched a big bunch of trimmed, roughly chopped broccoli raab & then sauteed it in some extra-virgin olive oil with 3 big cloves of chopped garlic, a few dashes of crushed red pepper flakes, some sliced Artichoke & Garlic Chicken Sausages, & a can of drained Garbanzo(ChickPeas) beans. I then tossed all of that in with a box of cooked Barilla Farfalle (bowtie) pasta, & topped each serving with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.

It was absolutely delicious, & I have enough leftover for a couple of lunches :)

Hey BreezyCooking, this is a gussied up version of what I have been doing with 7 very large broccoli heads from my garden. Thanks for the additional ingredients ideas!

Last edited:
Ayrton said:
Ach, VeraBlue, slumming it again in New Jersey?!

I have a feeling this would not be the time or the place to admit to something like Kraft macaroni & cheese with ketchup, or Hamburger Helper.

:ermm:

hahahahahahahaha:ROFLMAO: My kids put ketchup in kraft mac& cheese, too!

VeraBlue said:
hahahahahahahaha:ROFLMAO: My kids put ketchup in kraft mac& cheese, too!

Greatly relieved to hear your household has its 'off' nights too!! :)

Back
Top Bottom