Whats for Dinner Sat March 29th?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I made a sort of pork goulash. Sliced four onions and fried them with paprika & kaffir lime leaves. Then fried of some pork chunks, stirred through some flour. Added back the onion, about a pound of sliced carrots, four squashed garlic cloves and 500ml of cider.

Bought it to the boil, dropped to a simmer and left it covered for approx 15 mins. Removed lid and let it reduce down. Served with plait bread warm from the oven - wonderful.

Cider? Like apple cider, cider vinegar? Or is that a British word for something we call something else?

Thanks. For all I knew you meant an ale ;)
Sounds interesting and good.

spaghetti with Italian peppers and onion sausage, and my artisan bread.
Hatfield's makes the delicious sausage which has peppers and onions in it.

Where's everybody been getting their corn on the cob from? The store? Is it any good that way? I'm jonesin' for some but I've only ever bought it in season from the road stands. Geez I miss cooking that on the grill.

I have to admit I am cheatin' on the corn cobs (served one to the border last night). We got several dozen peaches and cream when we were on Vancouver Island last year and I used the large stock pots and lowboy burners to blanch it, then shocked it in ice water and froze them. We have a few left to get us through to this season. I prefer to have the fresh and do as many as I can that way, but freezing my own is sure better than the store stuff. Though I did get some Green Giant cobs at Costco that weren't too bad.

Last edited:
I didn't know you could do that to a whole ear, Laurie. I thought you had to shave the kernels off or something.... Do you do that with the husk on? That's my favorite way to grill it, with the husk on.

No, Pacanis, I have never blanched with the husks, but you are right that is the best way to grill corn. If we grill the frozen corn we usually do it in foil, or we boil it and use flavoured butters, like the one I have Uncle Bob on the BBQ sides thread.

I never thought of putting frozen corn in foil and grilling it.... I wonder if I can get that brownish look I like when grilling cobs....
This merits some thought. Thanks!

I never thought of putting frozen corn in foil and grilling it.... I wonder if I can get that brownish look I like when grilling cobs....
This merits some thought. Thanks!

You might want to thaw it first! And yes, if you butter the foil, you do get a little "charing" and smoky flavour like grilling it in the husk. Experiment, you will like it!

Its pouring snow here today. Big flakes coming down like rain and collecting in huge puddles. I was planning on making chicken shish kabobs but I don't think I will be grilling tonight.
Instead I'll be making cheddar, broccoli and red pepper chowder. I bet redkitty would like it. :)

Hi,
I'm new here. Tonight I am going to a Taste of Home Cooking School. Has anyone been. Looks like it should be a lot of fun?
Hi Red, you're new but we're not. welcome to the best cooking site online...........now you must {it's a prerequisite} post your favorite recipe. Okay, not really but please do anyway:LOL:
I'm still not feeling any better than I did the other day. In fact, I probably feel a little worse.

Thank goodness for the pressure cooker. We're having pork ribs, sauerkraut and potatoes. I guess it'll be good. I can't really taste much. Buck'll like it, though. It's his kind of "soul" food.
hope you feel better soon Katie, it's awful not being able to taste specially when you're feelin yukko
Sun is out, weather is decent- going to grill burgers, battered and deep fried portobellas, and tossed salad.
well the sun isn't out here, it's snowin like blue blazes, which to me, definitely dictates sushi......................or....................beef stew/home made creamy soup/mac and cheese/chili con carne

We went to a steakhouse that has been around forever for dinner - I did something I normally don't do - I had a fast-food hamburger for lunch. It was still sitting like a lead weight in my stomach and I couldn't eat dinner :(

I think a glass of bubbly will settle my stomach :rolleyes:

I was bad, I ordered pizza and blew my cardiac diet for the third time this week! DW is very upset with me but my chest was extra sore today and I was feeling sorry for myself a bit.
On the plus side they accidentally gave us extra bread sticks!

I was bad, I ordered pizza and blew my cardiac diet for the third time this week! DW is very upset with me but my chest was extra sore today and I was feeling sorry for myself a bit.

Give your DW a hug, pat her back, say "I'm so sorry" and tell her that's from me :LOL:- and then...do you remember that video where one penguin knocks the other in the back of the head and it falls into the water? :LOL:

Okay, Maverick, tomorrow YOU are on BuckyTom's seawead and raw seed diet!:LOL:

:LOL::ROFLMAO:

OK OK I will be good I promise! Just no seaweed!!:sick:

But, did I mention she was the one that brought home the cheese strudel and ice cream???
:LOL:

Hmmm, guess we didn't have dinner. Maybe I will go and eat some Easter candy.:pig:

Back
Top Bottom