What's for dinner? Saturday April 30, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Can't believe we're almost into May already!

I'll be browning and braising that bone in pork chop that I took out of the freezer yesterday, and decided not to have. Probably steamed cauliflower with butter and seasonings will accompany.

What will be on your plate? :chef:

Movie popcorn and Arnold Palmers. We're hitting up The Jungle Book matinee in 3D at the local theater.

Last edited:
Tonight will probably be mac and cheese with peas and tuna.

Grilled chicken thighs that have been marinated in Kirby mojo with black beans and rice. Avocado slices with red onion and lime juice.

This morning I made our beef marinade for a 1/2 flat piece of brisket. I'm still deciding between the oven and the Egg to cook it tomorrow.

I braised some lamb shanks (searing them off first, then adding chopped carrots and onions, tinned tomatoes and stock, bayleaf, piri piri seasoning to the casserole), along with baked potato and steamed runner beans.

(Also baked a whole beetroot to have with a dish tomorrow).

Creamy chicken and wild rice soup with homemade toasted bread. I'm taking a shortcut using Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice mix with some homemade chicken stock from the freezer.

It is written in our marriage contract, that when ever I volunteer on the tourist train, I stop at Yanni's and bring home gyro sandwiches with extra taziki sauce.

Attachments

• 3004-091842.jpg
    3004-091842.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 163
  • 3004-103340.jpg
    3004-103340.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 149
Creamy chicken and wild rice soup with homemade toasted bread. I'm taking a shortcut using Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice mix with some homemade chicken stock from the freezer.

Turned out quite delicious. I also added baby spinach and parsley from the garden and Fox Point for extra seasoning.

Attachments

• 1462062963535.jpg
    1462062963535.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 155
Looks good, GG. Everyone's dinners sound very tasty. Even Dawg's popcorn dinner. :)

SC, that is a good clause to have in your marriage contract! :LOL:

I lightly floured, browned, and braised that monster pork chop this afternoon. Couldn't let all the lovely pan juices go to waste so I made a mushroom/onion/sour cream gravy. Decided to have steamed buttered carrots instead of the cauliflower, and ended up making a small amount of parslied egg noodles to help sop up all that gravy. :yum: I could barely finish half of the chop.
Can you tell I'm a big fan of fresh cracked pepper? :)

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
We ended up with breakfast for supper. No complaints, since breakfast is always good. :yum: I had a tiny piece of ham to use up, but Himself wanted bacon, so we had both. We split a 4-egg mushroom omelet, and I fried up the first of my bag of homemade hash browns. I baked those russets on Easter, shredded and froze them the next day, and have been looking for the chance to use them ever since. Turned out so good I won't be buying store hash browns again!

I always use the Carolina (Mahatma in the south) Long Grain and Wild Rice mix when I make my creamy chicken rice soup. So good!

Back
Top Bottom