What's for Dinner Saturday, October 9th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Claire

Master Chef
Today my husband is starting his annual cassoulet. Since it won't be ready to eat until tomorrow, I'm debating what to do about today. I think our local grocer is having a special on fresh trout, but that may be pushing him (I do 99% of the cooking in the house, but trout and cassoulet are his provinces). I need to grocery shop anyway, and am debating. Maybe I'll buy one of those roasted chickens. I've got some flat iron steaks in the freezer, maybe a simple steak and potato thing (somehow the scent of fish mixed in with the scent of cassoulet doesn't do it for me). Oh, well, I'll chime in later with what I decided upon!

I am on my way out soon. So while on my travels I will hopefully figure out whats for dinner. Have a great day. Long overdue lunch with my girlfriend for food and catch up. We will probably hit the Farm again so I will more than likely have more goodies later.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're off out tonight, hopefully going to Circles, an Irish bar in Brooklyn. If so I'm hoping to have one of my favourite dishes, bangers and mash. :)

I just grilled some chicken sausages with onions for brunch with a rice ball and zucchini sticks to follow.

It's gonna be 89 degrees here today, but undeterred will still do what I have planned for dinner, smothered chicken with onion gravy and roast baby spuds.

Once I got to the store I found tuna on special as well. So I'm searing tuna, roasting "quarter bakes", and a simple salad, with the last of the tomatoes from the garden.

Hello everyone,

It's such a beautiful day here, it would be a shame not to grill something for dinner. So, while I was out I picked up a beautiful flank steak that I will marinate in some EVOO, soy, and garlic, and lemon and DH will grill later today. On the side we'll have caprese pasta. Pasta with basil, garden tomaoes, and a ball of fresh mozzarella cubed and tossed with EVOO.

Enjoy the day:chef:

Well, it is overcast, cool and at times rainy here (after all we aren't the "wet coast" for nothing). So, I have a nice big pot of hamburger soup simmering. I will make some cheese biscuits to serve with it as well.

I have basically been a lazy lump of "do-nothingness" all day, so I am seriously considering just having Braunschweiger and cheese sandwiches. I never made it to the grocery store today, and I didn't defrost anything. I know James will be happy with sandwiches, as he bought two packages of Braunschweiger yesterday.

Ok, back to being a lazy lump. :cool:

:)Barbara

One hamburger... but such a hamburger it was!

Fresh, today, chopped sirloin patty, cooked through to a medium demeanor, dressed with an excellent quality sharp cheddar cheese, melted until dripping, and light coating of my personal selection of ketchup, all on a soft but lightly toasted potato bread bun.

I'm very full. Went to a mountain pie party at a friends house. Kids had a ball in the big bouncy house they rented. Made a few savory and one sweet pie.

In case anyone is wondering, since I never knew what a mountain pie party is..........
In a nut shell: Pie Irons make perfect grilled sandwiches and desserts over the campfire. There are different kinds of irons, but here is an example of what one looks like.

Rome Cast Iron Square Pie Iron - Dick's Sporting Goods

Everyone helps bring things and the hosts put on a huge spread of different things to choose from to make the pies. I brought Greyere cheese, ham and eggs. I mixed up some eggs so that people could dip there sandwich into the egg mix and I also brought some maple syrup if people wanted to use that. I had that, a mexican type of sandwich and another sandwich consisting of chocolate chips, peanut butter and mashmellows. SLURP!!!

Last edited:
1/2 a sandwich - Mesquite smoked turkey breast on multigrain bread (this was so moist and tasty, it had sesame seeds, flax seeds, rolled oats and sunflower seeds in it) with mayo and greens instead of plain lettuce served with mixed baby greens salad with toppings and dressed with Good Seasons Zesty Italian dressing (made with apple cider vinegar, Apple oil & Flaxseed oil) and garlic pretzel chips with Alouette garlic & herb cheese spread. I found apple oil in the supermarket and it’s pretty good in combo with the apple cider vinegar in the dressing.

img_925996_0_567fa7ea83a02aa164e5764a279f4d40.jpg

I made mashed potatoes patties and eggs for breakfast then got the slow cooker going.

Turkey legs and wings from several free turkeys I got last year.I cooked them in wine, broth and dried shallots.

I also made nishiki rice and pan fried broccoli with spanish onions.

I spent the entire day decorating for Halloween and didn't finish.Tomorrow here I come!

Today was like a holiday. We had barbeque and every side that you could ever imagine to go along with it. Great dinner for bringing family together and I must say that it was quite delicious!!

We ended up eating out of the freezer. I had a bowl of chili and SO had a bowl of beef barley soup.

We ended up eating out of the freezer. I had a bowl of chili and SO had a bowl of beef barley soup.
I try not to assume too many things (you know what they say!), but I will go out on a limb and assume that you heated it up first. :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO: Although, on a hot day, a chili-pop or beef-barley-pop might be interesting! :D

:)Barbara

Curry-Lime Chicken (chicken breasts) with caramelized onions. Brown rice and roasted cauliflower on the side. Dessert a few hours later: Homemade bittersweet chocolate ice cream.

Spent the morning working on cleaning the house and the afternoon and evening working on organizing the shed.. I was too tired to cook.. so it was burgers, sweet potato chips and fried pickles from Cheeseburger in Paradise for everyone!

Back
Top Bottom