What's for dinner? Sunday 9-23-18

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have ambitious plans for dinner, but also have a pinched sciatic nerve, so I'll have to decide (soon) whether to cook or not to cook. Flat on my back on the floor, I have zero pain, but cooking from there would be a bit tricky.

I'll let you know what happens.

CD
When I had pinched nerves and herniated disks, my chiropractor suggested planking. It seems very counterintuitive. But the thing is, when you bend forward, you’re actually compressing the discs even further. Lay prone, use no muscles in your lower back or buttocks, and gently, using your arms, raise your chest to arch your back. It really does open up the space between the vertebrae. You’d do well to find a chiro who is versed in the McKinzie Protocol (maybe its McKensey, I forgot.) hope your well soon!

I had braised short ribs.

42489748_1888060201283588_218314020879335424_o.jpg

Photo doesn't do it justice, it was delicious.
Looks good, any way you slice 'em!

We had grilled bratwurst that were first braised in beer, sauerkraut, onions, homemade Dijon-style mustard and fresh thyme. Served them over the sauerkraut with a caprese salad on the side. I first had caprese salad in Germany in 1995 when we were visiting our former exchange student and his family, so they go together for me :mrgreen:
0923182017.jpg

This looks fantastic. Have you posted your ingredients and method? Pretty please if you haven’t.
Sure..pretty classic recipe, actually..

Ingredients,

Beef ribs, garlic, onions/shallots, celery, carrots, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, tomato paste, beef stock, red wine,...

Using an oven proof pot with lid

Season ribs with s&p, roll in flour and brown in oil, remove to separate plate
Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and saute until soft.
Turn up the heat a bit and add the wine so it boils off to about half.
Add the herbs, tblsp of tomato paste, pepper, and ribs, bone side down..then some beef stock until the ribs are about half covered.
Let that simmer for about 20 minutes, then cover and place in oven at 300 for about 2 hours, or ribs are tender..turn off oven

Remove ribs to a separate pan and cover in foil place back in oven to keep warm..

Return pot to the range and get it simmering..if there is not enough just add some more beef stock, then add some slurry( 1 tblsp of water mixed with water).
Let this thicken for a few minutes, season it, and then strain into a separate pot so stay warm, or heat later..
serve

I love beef short ribs. That is a good Sunday dinner, as you need to cook them low and slow. I braise them in a cast iron dutch oven in the oven. I brown them first, add my browned trinity, and wine and stock, and pop the DO in the oven to cook at 250F until the meat falls off the bone.

Good food on a cold day. I'm still a couple of months away from that kind of weather.

CD

I love beef short ribs. That is a good Sunday dinner, as you need to cook them low and slow. I braise them in a cast iron dutch oven in the oven. I brown them first, add my browned trinity, and wine and stock, and pop the DO in the oven to cook at 250F until the meat falls off the bone.

Good food on a cold day. I'm still a couple of months away from that kind of weather.

CD
We mad it official this Sunday..it's cold as a witches ***..maybe I should have saved that for the slang thread

We mad it official this Sunday..it's cold as a witches ***..maybe I should have saved that for the slang thread

That, or the ba**s on a brass monkey. Cold as a witches t** is pretty universal, I think. They say it down here, too. :LOL:

CD

Sure..pretty classic recipe, actually..

Ingredients,

Beef ribs, garlic, onions/shallots, celery, carrots, parsley, bay leaf, thyme, rosemary, tomato paste, beef stock, red wine,...

Using an oven proof pot with lid

Season ribs with s&p, roll in flour and brown in oil, remove to separate plate
Add onions, garlic, celery, carrots, and saute until soft.
Turn up the heat a bit and add the wine so it boils off to about half.
Add the herbs, tblsp of tomato paste, pepper, and ribs, bone side down..then some beef stock until the ribs are about half covered.
Let that simmer for about 20 minutes, then cover and place in oven at 300 for about 2 hours, or ribs are tender..turn off oven

Remove ribs to a separate pan and cover in foil place back in oven to keep warm..

Return pot to the range and get it simmering..if there is not enough just add some more beef stock, then add some slurry( 1 tblsp of water mixed with water).
Let this thicken for a few minutes, season it, and then strain into a separate pot so stay warm, or heat later..
serve
Thank you Rock!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom