What's for dinner? Sunday, 9-6-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
I made a pot of split pea soup yesterday and with the weather cooling down a bit, it really hit the spot. :yum: I'll have that again this afternoon for an early dinner, maybe with a grilled cheese and tomato sandwich this time.

What's on everyone's plate for this evening? :chef:

Red beans and rice. Never cooked dry beans before. I'm using a recipe from gumbopages.com, but I've also referenced recipes from Tom Fitzmorris and Justin Wilson, two of my favorites.

Love red beans and rice, Iamcliff. I've used Emeril's recipe with great success.

An eclectic mix of leftovers here: a help-yourself choice of Salisbury steak, black beans and rice, garlic mashed potatoes with mixed vegetables. Red grapes.

Last edited:
Still hot and humid here!

I couldn't stomach another cold plate or burger so I made a pot of sauce and a small dish of eggplant parm this morning before it got too hot!

Eggplant parm, a salad and lots of iced tea for dinner.

Maybe a dish of low carb ice cream later.

It's amazing what you find in the meat case while waiting for a butcher to check stock for something else. I saw Angus tri-tip steaks in the store yesterday, so we'll be trying those tonight. (Also noticed that Market Basket sells their beef short ribs for $8.99 a pound :ohmy:, but the little 3-store-chain store down the hill had nicer looking, really meaty ones for $4.69. I see short ribs in our future...)

As far as sides go, I leaning toward grabbing a bag of already-grilled corn from the freezer to use for a new recipe, and making salad.

Beef enchiladas with green chile sauce, fresh corn on the cob, and peach cobbler.

I went to a store intending to buy their advertised special of chuck roasts, but they turned out to be arm roasts (what's an arm roast?) that looked pretty nice. Dh is going to grill them today for his upcoming lunches. He will probably have a bit with his dinner too.

I've had a bad case of SBS ( slow brain syndrome) which impairs decision making royally and has since been over-taken by HTS ( hungry tummy syndrome) to the max. So I fairly flew to the store and picked up the makings for Tacos, and fixin's along with a few ingredients to complete a salsa fresca and refried bean, the canned ones, just need a few spices added and they're good to go. A small container of Cherry Garcia ice cream spontaneously jumped into my market basket today. Sweeet!

I did a spoon roast on the grill for us and my daughter's family. Not too hungry this evening. I may nibble later.

1/2 of 1 of the chickens Craig cooked on the Weber on the rotisserie last weekend plus a cauliflower/potato mash and glazed carrots. More key lime cheese pie for dessert.

In the oven: Pork tenderloins poked with garlic in a honey mustard glaze, green beans roasted with some cherry tomatoes and parmesan potatoes. Nectarine crisp for dessert.

Good choice in cheese, Lance. :yum: Himself and I really like Tillamook We need to remember to get some next time we do a Trader Joe's run.

...leaning toward grabbing a bag of already-grilled corn from the freezer to use for a new recipe...
I used the corn for this recipe - Himself declared it a winner in spite of the fact that he got a little clumsy with the jar of ground chipotle pepper and *cough-cough*ed his way through dinner.

Grilled and Dilled Corn on the Cob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom