What's for dinner? Sunday, August 24th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Spaghetti and meatballs, and garlic toast. Daughter and grandson are coming for dinner, grandson's fave is spaghetti, and I didn't have enough notice to make a long simmering spaghetti sauce. This is one of those times I'm glad to have a stash of Trader Joe's bottled pasta sauce. At least the meatballs are homemade. :LOL:

What's on everyone's menu for this evening? :chef:

Dinner was rather frustrating today. I was at the store and asked the butcher what would be good for Shish Kebab. He recommended something. It was so chewy, my parents could not eat it at all. I do not like beef to begin with and when you get a lousy piece it's even worse. I hate when people do that. There was a counter full of meat, I was willing to buy any. If you do not know it say so. Grr. I think this belongs in venting. Though everything else was great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cook's Country Italian Pot Roast

italian pot roast.jpg
italian pot roast 1.jpg
italian pot roast 2.jpg
italian pot roast 3.jpg

YUM!
We ate earlier, seeing as this was a little heavy, but so worth it!

This week our Kroger had a super special on bone-in pork loin chops, so I bought a nice big tray of them. Glad I did because they are/will be great.

We had garlic-seasoned and grilled pork chops, steamed Italian green beans (from the garden, of course), a big platter of quartered tomatoes and cucumbers (also compliments of the garden), iced tea and for our big finish zucchini cake, which was soooo good and a product of the garden as well. Or as our grandson would say, "Crops from our land."

I'm pleased there are still 6 pork chops left because the ones we had tonight were as tender and juicy as we could have wanted. Yeah!

Stuffed peppers and cabbage salad.

This morning a young man was selling his home grown produce at the flea market. I bought four nice peppers and four nice tomatoes for a total of $2.00. I don't see how he can grow the produce, harvest it, drive it to the market, pay the rent on his stall and still make a living. I think I know the answer, it made me sad.

Dinner was rather frustrating today. I was at the store and asked the butcher what would be good for Shish Kebab. He recommended something. It was so chewy, my parents could not eat it at all. I do not like beef to begin with and when you get a lousy piece it's even worse. I hate when people do that. There was a counter full of meat, I was willing to buy any. If you do not know it say so. Grr. I think this belongs in venting. Though everything else was great.

Koobideh kebab made with ground meat are my favorite. But for a meat one I like Barg Kabob made with tenderloin.

I've got two 1lb meat loaves going. One for meatloaf and mashed potato's. One for soup and sandwiches night with tortilla chicken soup. I'm hoping to stretch this combo for three nights with a marinated tomato and cucumber salad on the side.

We found some beautiful halibut at the fish store today. I cooked them on the grill pan and topped them with a yummy salsa of corn, tomato, tomatillo, red onion, garlic, cilantro and lime juice. Green beans simmered in water and lime juice seasoned with taco seasoning on the side.

Attachments

• 1408930001528.jpg
    1408930001528.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 179
i knew i shouldna looked here. i'm so hungry.

gg, man that looks good. haven't had halibut for a long time. great and healthy idea to top it with fresh salsa. gotta remember that now that the garden is in its fruition.

kgirl, yer killin' me. the pot-a-roast italiano (with the extra a) looks great as well.

lol, what i mean by the. extra "a" is that immigrant italian americans very often add vowels to words, so meataballs, or pot-a-roast is more authentic.

ok, well i worked 17 hours today, went home for 4 hours, and now i'm back in for another 12.

rats on wheels have better lives.

so i'm having take out chinese: a fried half chicken (freshly fried. not one of those chickens par fried at 11am, then again at 4pm) smothered in hot/sour sauce with veggie fried rice. it's not leftovers fried rice, but it's good.

at 350, a small half chicken takes between 18 and 20 minutes to cook in their deep fryer, but it's worth the wait.

Easy dinner tonight. Spent a good portion of the day digging garlic and picked the first beans and a few winky little tomatoes, a couple of baby zucchinis, a yellow bell pepper, a few snow peas and some broccoli. This all went with (lots of) garlic and a handful of basil thinnings into a ratatouille.

I mixed up some dill dip from an herb mix made by a local dressing company and after we muched down pea pods, baby carrots and dip for lunch I slopped some of the dip, mixed with a little dijon, onto tilapia loins, topped with panko, dill weed and paprika and baked.

Making my first beef stew tonight. Forgive me, but I'm going lightweight and using Lowry's Beef Stew season mix and instructions. I went out and bought a bigger CI skillet to brown the 2 lbs pack of stew meat and I also bought a 5-3/4 Cuisinart stainless steel dutch oven with glass lid. I added the browned meat. It requires 3 cups of water so I used 2 cups water and replaced the 3rd cup of water with burgundy and deglazed the skillet with it and added it in along with the browned meat and seasoning packet( I got that tip by reading posts here). It smells good already. 1.5 hours to go.

The packet calls for veggies being added at the end and cooking them for 20 minutes more. I hope that's enough time to cook the potatoes, carrots, pearl onions and peas and celerey. I'll check on their doneness. Anyways, I'm stoked I'm making my very first beef stew. :clap:

Last edited:
good luck, caslon. next time we'll (me, the chief, auntiem, and so many others) will help you nail it without use of a package mix. then you can call it your own. no apologies.

Great job, Caslon! And good idea to use wine to replace some of the water. I can almost smell it cooking! :yum: And BTW, there's nothing wrong with using a flavor packet, a lot of us do. Lawrey's is a good choice.

Last edited:
I had some salmon and whipped up a cover for it out of sour cream, lime juice, Dijon mustard, chives, garlic powder and black pepper. Whisked all that together cover the salmon with it, bakes @ 350 x 30 minutes in the toaster oven. It was fantastic, also had a bowl of fresh peaches.

I've had a very slight travelling headache moving around my cranium all day. I'm not worried because it's mild and I rarely get headaches these days. It started behind the left ear, fell to the base of my skull, then it crawled to my left eye socket...and now I feel it in my forehead. I plan on sleeping on my tummy so it can fall out tonight.

So because of all that, Himself finished the last yummy bits of bratwurst and sauerkraut, along with leftover mashed potatoes. I made a PB&J sammy with cherry preserves.

We had lobster tails (spiny), pineapple-coconut rice and jicama salsa.

36788-albums318-picture6028.jpg

Back
Top Bottom