What's for dinner? Tuesday, 9-29-15

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Albertsons has great looking bone-in pork shoulder roasts on sale for .99/lb, so I bought two 8 pounders. I just put one in the oven to slow roast, but I think that'll be for tomorrow since it'll take so long, and I like to have an early dinner.

I have an avocado and some tomatoes that need used, so I think this afternoon's dinner will be guacamole, pico de gallo, and fried corn tortilla wedges. Probably some kind of fruit on the side.

What's everyone having today? :chef:

Last edited:
I also have a ham steak that was bought for a NE boiled dinner, but whose ingredients got commandeered into other things. So dinner will be the ham along with my fresh potatoes, onions, garlic and green beans.

I found this "new to me" item at Trader Joe's..Article | Trader Joe's
I'll be using browned chicky thighs and tucking in some mushrooms and artichoke hearts to the casserole.
I'll make up a half envelope of instant mashed taters for the SousChef, and we'll each have glorified green salad.

We're having fish tacos, with cabbage slaw, cilantro, avocado, cilantro, chipotle sauce, & lime. It's one of our favorite summer meals.

Some Italian chicken stew that I can't remember the name of but got the recipe from a cookbook. It's boneless chicken thighs baked with onions and tomatoes. Garlic, of course, but the ingredient you can taste but can't identify is the anchovies.

Served over white basmati rice (definitely NOT Italian) and steamed broccoli.

Probably bachelor surprise here.
I made a sauce with it this time. It didn't enhance it or detract. I won't bother another time. I really didn't much feel like cooking, but this is so easy and if I don't have it too often, it's quite tasty.

Attachments

• IMG_20150929_193338.jpg
    IMG_20150929_193338.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 161
I wasn't doing well energy wise today, so I had Chinese delivery-- egg rolls, teriyaki beef skewers, fried rice and szechwuan chicken. Even they know how to make leftovers!

I am inspired...

Apple pie (cooking now)

Cheese Souffle
Green beans w/ tomatoes, capers and a little shallot
Crusty brown bread
A little salad (maybe)

I'm roasting that beef chuck shoulder cross rib roast that I posted about a few days ago. I'm using Cheryl's reply method.

Cross Rib Roast (Beef Shoulder Roast)

I browned the 1.18 lb roast in my cast iron pan instead of the deeper 3 Qt. dutch oven pan I just bought today. The skillet made it easier to turn the roast while browning. I browned it, removed the roast, added in some carrots, onions, celery and sauted them, added in a 1/4 cup of beef stock and let simmer for a few minutes. Then I poured it all into my newly bought 3 quart dutch oven and set the roast in and added more stock halfway up the roast. It's cooking now.

I hope to be able to slice it into slices when done. I'm only going to use the roast, not the vegetables because I want to make a mashed potatoes, asparagus, roast meal.

BTW, out of season asparagus is up to $5.99 a lb. now. Up from $3.99 3 weeks ago, and up from $4.99 a week ago.

Last edited:
I found this "new to me" item at Trader Joe's..Article | Trader Joe's
I'll be using browned chicky thighs and tucking in some mushrooms and artichoke hearts to the casserole.
I'll make up a half envelope of instant mashed taters for the SousChef, and we'll each have glorified green salad.

This turned out well, and the TJ's sauce is as good as my 40 cloves of garlic sauce, and a lot easier. I only used 1/2 a jar for 4 thighs, and 5 wings along with the frozen artichoke hearts and whole mushrooms. I just froze the remaining sauce in the jar for next time. That plate is Steve's, no mashed spuds for me and that's ok. I used a spoon to enjoy the sauce.;)

img_1438471_0_27185c36620dc0d2ce62f6a210f0075b.jpg

Cheryl, I'm hoping pork shoulder will go on sale here tomorrow. I'm dying to make posole for the cold front that will be moving in later this week.

Kayelle, that sauce sounds great! I wish Trader Joe's was closer to me.

We had a couple leftover pork chops warmed in the toaster oven, with leftover apple sauce and hash browns. Another brown dinner so I didn't take pix ;)

GG, I hope you find pork shoulder on sale soon, too. Always nice to get a deal. I would have gotten more than two, but that was the limit. I think I'll go back tomorrow and get two more. :)

Kay...that looks great! I'll have to add that bottled garlic sauce to my TJ's list. Taxy, I could go for your dinner, it looks good. :yum:

Caslon...I sure hope your roast turned out to your liking.

Everyone's dinners sound so good. I'm kind of craving ham now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom