What's for dinner? Tuesday Apr. 12, 2016

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cheryl J

Chef Extraordinaire
Frying up some bacon for a BLT salad later this afternoon. It's been warm lately and so far I'm not getting tired of frequent salads. Mango and watermelon on the side.

What's on your plate? :chef:

I tried something a bit experimental - doing lasagna without the 'al forno' bit, i.e. baking in the oven!

It involved using fresh egg lasagna and doing 3 types of fillings for the layers. I thinly sliced courgette, oiled and grilled them both sides. The main part was stir fried turkey strips with onion, garlic, red chilli, a little stock and some red pesto. The top layer was a makeshift cheese sauce - thinly sliced cheese in a splash of milk - stirred in a non stick pan over gentle heat until it combines/dissolves and thickens.

I assembled it all on the plate (the cheese sauce being topmost) but, of course, it wasn't that hot by the time it was ready to eat. (I usually heat the plate but forgot to do this). None the less it was enjoyable. I particularly liked the fresh egg lasagna (bought).

Tomorrow I will cook the remaining lasagna sheets and try them out cannelloni style.

Last edited:
DH has to get his glasses adjusted, and right next door is a Chinese restaurant. So it will be egg rolls and shrimp chop suey that we'll split.

I was by a little cheese shop the other day, and thought to try something different. I bought a few slices of Comte, a French type swiss with no holes. I made a sliced chicken / cheese/ pesto sandwich on grilled sourdough bread for dinner.

I'm made refried beans in the crock pot yesterday, so tonight I'm having those on tostadas with home made sour cream, grated cheese, and heirloom cherry tomatoes.

A salad topped with leftover asparagus that I marinated in a simple vinaigrette dressing and a cup of vegetable soup made with mushrooms, collards, chicken stock etc...

We're having loaded hamburgers without buns on plates.

The loaded part will be cheese, bacon, mushrooms, saute' onions, sliced avocado, tomatoes on top of chopped lettuce. Good thing we don't have to unhinge our jaws with a bun.;):yum:

I love a BLT salad too Cheryl!

Last edited:
I browned and then braised chicken thighs in a mixture of cream of chicken soup, homemade Dijon mustard, sage and paprika thinned with a little water. The braise also included sliced celery, green onions and green and yellow bell peppers. I served it over rice pilaf seasoned with sautéed onions and garlic, sage and Penzeys 4/S Seasoned Salt. We also had toasted, buttered homemade bread to sop up the sauce and crispy chicken skin on top and :yum:

Attachments

• 1460509250265.jpg
    1460509250265.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 217
Our real estate agent invited us out to dinner at the local Mexican place in town.
It was Taco Tuesday
Chicken or ground beef tacos for a buck!
DH had three and Iced Tea (he's the designated driver)
while I had two chicken and a chile relleno, a side of beans that DH wouldn't eat and a side of guacamole and a dos equis amber, dos please :cool:

008.JPG

YUM!

Everyone's suppers sound lovely btw!

Last edited:
I'm made refried beans in the crock pot yesterday, so tonight I'm having those on tostadas with home made sour cream, grated cheese, and heirloom cherry tomatoes.

Mmmm....tostadas. One of my fave meals. :yum: Just wondering RR, how do you make your own sour cream?

Our real estate agent invited us out to dinner at the local Mexican place in town.
It was Taco Tuesday
Chicken or ground beef tacos for a buck!
DH had three and Iced Tea (he's the designated driver)
while I had two chicken and a chile relleno, a side of beans that DH wouldn't eat and a side of guacamole and a dos equis amber, dos please :cool:

View attachment 24585

YUM!

Everyone's suppers sound lovely btw!

YUM!

**Reaches over Dawgluver, grabs fork**

Sorry, Dawgluver, my arms are longer than yours, and I'm hungry.

Pizza night here in the CCL zoo. Cat's off to Romania for two weeks, and it's kinda quiet here.

I know it sounds weird, but we were finishing off leftovers and had cole slaw with it. Leftover bacon wound up on the pizza.

:LOL: I'm almost 6 feet tall. Not sure your arms are longer, CCL!

We'll just snitch the rellano and split it! Beware, Kgirl!

**Reaches over Dawgluver, grabs fork**

Sorry, Dawgluver, my arms are longer than yours, and I'm hungry.

Pizza night here in the CCL zoo. Cat's off to Romania for two weeks, and it's kinda quiet here.

I know it sounds weird, but we were finishing off leftovers and had cole slaw with it. Leftover bacon wound up on the pizza.

Only 2 weeks....? Since you mentioned it, isn't Romania where her husband and child are? :ermm:

I'll grab a third fork for those chile relleno leftovers, thank you. :yum:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom