What's for Dinner Wed. Sept, 30, 2009?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bethzaring

Master Chef
the plan is......and we know how that goes:)

it is the last day of September and the National Weather Service is predicting the first frost of the fall....and if this proves to be true, it will be three weeks early from the past averages....so this will rearrange my plans today. The only frost sensitive vegetables in the garden are the sweet potatoes, so they must come out today.

If all goes well, it will be lamb chops on the grill, smeared with a paste of garlic, lemon juice and oil, with roasted sweet potatoes and maybe some braised kale. I predict not all that will happen:LOL:.

What are you fixing?

Money is tight, so I've loaded the slow cooker with some belly pork, red and brown lentils, onions, plum tomatoes, garlic, bell peppers, herbs, spices and chicken stock.

Should have a spicey paprika pork and lentil stew by tea time :chef:

I just got beautiful Lamb Chops from the farmers market.
Grilled Lamb Chops is a great idea, but I think I'll cast-iron skillet the little guys, rubbed with truffle oil, rosemary, thyme, sage, and smoked salt. Roasted Red Potatoes and maybe some red pepper butter string beans.

That smells like Fall to me.
I'll post a picture this evening, if I can.

Its my MILs ACTUAL birthday today so we are having her over for dinner. We are having a ham, scalloped potatoes and a big green salad. Dessert to be named later. LOL.

Beth...I know you are in a different time zone but my eyes got big when I read the time on your post. 4:40AM??? Yeesh.

i plan to make some tomato sauce loaded with fresh garlic, onions, parsley and basil over linguini and garlic bread.

I'm going to brine some chicken breasts in my cilantro-lime brine, which makes them very flavorful. I'll broil them or grill them on the stovetop, slice them, and serve them taco-style. We've got a bit of watermelon leftover, so we'll probably eat that on the side.

It is an "iffy" day weather-wise here so I am thinking standard comfort food. Sausages, cream corn and mashed potatoes. The funny thing about this mean is that my Dad, my DH and I ALL grew up with this meal and love it!

Dessert will be the ice cream from last night with hot fudge sauce.

I do believe it is Spaghetti Time again.
Now the question is: Meatballs or spicy sausage? hmmmm...

spicy meatballs! Of course!

I'm going to have leftover soup with cornbread. I might add some egg noodles to the soup to make it even more heartier. It's chilly here, and it's not supposed to get above the 50's all week. What sounds better than comfort food with good bread!

Beth...I know you are in a different time zone but my eyes got big when I read the time on your post. 4:40AM??? Yeesh.

I don't think so:LOL:..at 4:40 am I was groping for the coffee pot...my computer screen says I posted at 5:40 am and that could be correct:)

Last edited by a moderator:
braised lamb shanks in red wine, rosemary, garlic, black pepper and a bit of beef stock with root veg and then roast potatoes on the side.

You know out of my 54 yrs, one thing I have never eaten is lamb? I tried goat once and YUK didn't like it. I remember my dad telling me growing up that lamb was like eating a mouth full of cotton. I know I have watch so many chefs make it on the cooking channel and it always looks really good. I've also heard that you really have to know what kind of spices to use on lamb. I would appreciate you'll opinion.

we're having mushroom and zuchini gratine and chicken with white wine sauce. oh and babe's chocolate syrup brownies for dessert!

I am making something I have never had before(believe it or not), Kielbasa, cabbage with new red potatoes, buttered seeded rye bread and green beans on the side. I am still unsure how I am going to cook this. A lot of recipes call for cooking in bacon grease. I think that would taste good, however I want to avoid any more fat. I did buy "lite" kielbasa. Maybe I will use a little chicken broth????

Last edited:
Roast loin of pork stuffed with feta, spinach and pepperoni. Roasted sweet potatoes and green beans stewed with tomato, jalapeno, cumin, garlic, oregano and onion.

I am making something I have never had before(believe it or not), Kielbasa, cabbage with new red potatoes, buttered seeded rye bread and green beans on the side. I am still unsure how I am going to cook this. A lot of recipes call for cooking in bacon grease. I think that would taste good, however I want to avoid any more fat. I did buy "lite" kielbasa. Maybe I will use a little chicken broth????
I realize I might be too late, since it's after 5:30 here.

I like to slice my kielbasa in big chunks, as well as the cabbage. I put the cabbage in a greased baking pan/casserole dish (the size depends on how many servings you are making) and lay the kielbasa on top. Then, I drizzle it with a little oil, cider vinegar and a sprinkling of caraway seeds. That gets baked, covered, @375 for about 45 minutes (ovens vary). For the oil, you can use olive oil, but I think the taste is better with Canola oil (that is also healthy).

Any kind of potatoes go well with cabbage and kielbasa! Below is a picture of a past meal, and I used peeled red potatoes. FYI, I baked them in a separate pan (tossed in oil, garlic powder and salt) for the same amount of time. Of course, how thick your slices are determine cooking time.
img_853377_0_af26600a70f03c329efda5d6377c3590.jpg

Back
Top Bottom